Info Needed - Forward Cabin on Westerdam

dewee

I've been told that when it comes to certain things (planning vacations, parties and/or Christmas decorations, etc) I am a control freak. I don't happen to agree 100% with that statement, but I do realize that I have issues in these areas and I try not to control every situation. As a good fate gesture, I relinguished my control on planning our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam. As a result I am booked in a forward cabin on the Upper Promenade deck and I am concerned that this is a bad choice. We have always had cabins located midship and have never had any problems with seasickness, noise, etc. I would appreciate hearing pros & cons from anyone who has cruised in a forward cabin on the Westerdam.

Thanks .....Dewee

I've been told that when it comes to certain things (planning vacations, parties and/or Christmas decorations, etc) I am a control freak. I don't happen to agree 100% with that statement, but I do realize that I have issues in these areas and I try not to control every situation. As a good fate gesture, I relinguished my control on planning our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam. As a result I am booked in a forward cabin on the Upper Promenade deck and I am concerned that this is a bad choice. We have always had cabins located midship and have never had any problems with seasickness, noise, etc. I would appreciate hearing pros & cons from anyone who has cruised in a forward cabin on the Westerdam.

Thanks .....Dewee

We were in a fwd cabin may 7th alaska on the westerdam. room vc5021. Verandah deck 1floor below yours. I guess i am prone to seasickness. I took my bonine everday. Don't know if it worked or not, because i took it everyday. First night we had 18 ft waves and we were never sick at all. Great room great time no noise great balcony.

Thanks for the encouraging response. Seeing I am the only one in the group occassionally prone to seasickness, I guess I will be living on my bonine. I had the worst experience sitting up front on the high speed Cat between Bar Harbor and Nova Scotia that I have been very anxious about this forward cabin (4008). We are traveling with friends and unfortunately these were the only 2 balcony rooms we could book that were next to each other. I really did not want to separate as I look forward to our breakfasts and afternoon cocktails on our balconies.

Dewee

I had the worst experience sitting up front on the high speed Cat between Bar Harbor and Nova Scotia that I have been very anxious about this forward cabin (4008).

That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish! There is absolutely NO comparison between the Westerdam in Alaska and the Cat crossing to Nova Scotia! I had the bumpiest ride of my life doing that crossing. And I've been on some bumpy rides, too.

Take your Bonine, sure, but expect a much smoother ride on the Westerdam.

We had a forward cabin on the Westerdam on deck 9, in fact we were 3 doors from the bridge. I personally didn't really notice anymore rocking. I do have to say our trip was fairly calm, and we have not gotten seasick on 5 cruises yet, but I personally didn't notice any difference.

Thanks for the encouraging response. Seeing I am the only one in the group occassionally prone to seasickness, I guess I will be living on my bonine. I had the worst experience sitting up front on the high speed Cat between Bar Harbor and Nova Scotia that I have been very anxious about this forward cabin (4008). We are traveling with friends and unfortunately these were the only 2 balcony rooms we could book that were next to each other. I really did not want to separate as I look forward to our breakfasts and afternoon cocktails on our balconies.

Dewee

FYI your room. according to the deckplan on HAL. will have a shower only no tub and a steel verandah, not plexie glass

We were also supposed to get a room with the steel and opted to upgrade to upper verandah deck on Westerdam (6031). It was more forward than we had ever been and we did have some rougher water going from Seattle to Hubbard Glacier but it wasn't that bad. We always wear our seabands and find that we don't have to bother to medications since this is also an issue for me as I take asthma medication and can't take dramamine, etc. I was really glad we upgrade and we had a fabulous view out our verndah and we could sit in our chairs and watch the waves (and whales) on our recent Alaska cruise. I wouldn't go any further forward than this room, personally. We also had a full bathtub and shower too.

Thanks Ruth C. Trust me, my bonine has never been far from me since that experience. I am counting on the Westerdam being a lot smoother, but you never know! Back in the early 80's we left on a cruise out of Boston that was simply 7 days of sheer terror. It was during the longshoremen's strike and we were headed to Bermuda but that port was closed down. So we cruised around in the Atlantic (1st week of May) and right into a hurricane. I have had several uneventful cruises since but like I stated previously - you never know!

Dewee

Kletskop .... thanks for the heads up. I am in the process of checking with the rest of the "crew" to see if they are interested in upgrading. After all the beauty of a balcony is to be able to enjoy the view and fresh air!

Dewee

Kletskop .... thanks for the heads up. I am in the process of checking with the rest of the "crew" to see if they are interested in upgrading. After all the beauty of a balcony is to be able to enjoy the view and fresh air!

Dewee

You do have a balcony. It just is a balcony with a steel front which of course you can't see through. You will not have a bath tub, but just a shower. Don't know if the tub is a boig deal to you. They are not the standard 5 feet tub in length, but about 4 ft. Try the Verandah deck we were in room VC5019 anmd VC5021 and had plexieglass and a tub. If you look on the HAl website it will show under deckplans for the Westerdam what the room has and what it doesn't have

Doei!

Kletskop

I understand we have a balcony and the tub really is no big thing except for the fact our good friends in the adjoining cabin have one and we don't. This actually didn't bother me until such time we discussed it with our TA and was told that she was unaware that these cabins had the semi-obstruced view and that our cabin had no tub. She contact HAL and informed them that neither of us were ever made aware of this and their attitude, which quite frankly surprised me, was ..... "well what's their problem, they know about that now .... tell them they can pay the price to upgrade now, choose a different sailing date or take their chances and try to score a complimentary upgrade on sailing."

This was not quite the answer I expected to hear - I guess I expected more from HAL. I am not one who is looking to get something for nothing, but having worked in the hospitality industry for many years I felt a more appropriate response should have been "Sorry for the confusion, may we issue you a complimentary soda card or shipboard credit in the same amount for your inconvenience." I consider this a small but thoughtful gesture that carries a lot of weight.

Sailed on HAL for the first time last October and it was a very enjoyable experience. Have been working feverishly ever since on converting several of our "X" loving friends. Hopefully that wasn't a big mistake. We are looking at all our options and will have to make a decision soon. Will more than likely grin and bear it because we were looking forward to this particular itinerary because we felt it would be a low key, relaxing weeks between 2 hectic holidays.

Once again thanks for the heads up on this - it would have been really disappointing if we found this out on embarkation.

Dewee

I am looking at the cabin 5001 on the Westerdam for a cruise from Sea to Ft L. this fall. It is listed as handicapped but is cat sy and can also book as a gaur. rate. Have anyone out there had this cabin?

Kletskop

I understand we have a balcony and the tub really is no big thing except for the fact our good friends in the adjoining cabin have one and we don't. This actually didn't bother me until such time we discussed it with our TA and was told that she was unaware that these cabins had the semi-obstruced view and that our cabin had no tub. She contact HAL and informed them that neither of us were ever made aware of this and their attitude, which quite frankly surprised me, was ..... "well what's their problem, they know about that now .... tell them they can pay the price to upgrade now, choose a different sailing date or take their chances and try to score a complimentary upgrade on sailing."

This was not quite the answer I expected to hear - I guess I expected more from HAL. I am not one who is looking to get something for nothing, but having worked in the hospitality industry for many years I felt a more appropriate response should have been "Sorry for the confusion, may we issue you a complimentary soda card or shipboard credit in the same amount for your inconvenience." I consider this a small but thoughtful gesture that carries a lot of weight.

Sailed on HAL for the first time last October and it was a very enjoyable experience. Have been working feverishly ever since on converting several of our "X" loving friends. Hopefully that wasn't a big mistake. We are looking at all our options and will have to make a decision soon. Will more than likely grin and bear it because we were looking forward to this particular itinerary because we felt it would be a low key, relaxing weeks between 2 hectic holidays.

Once again thanks for the heads up on this - it would have been really disappointing if we found this out on embarkation.

Dewee

D--

I hate to sound mean, but the issues you mentioned (shower only, steel railing) are clearly noted on the deckplans and in the brochures - and are the very reason that those specific staterooms are a lower category/price than nearby staterooms w/ tubs and glass railings.

If your TA is uninformed and you didn't bother to look, that's not really HAL's fault. Your TA should be the one to kick in for her ignorance and not bothering to spend the time to look at these with you before she took your booking.

:(

Archived