Durnstein, Melk, Linz and Passau

M&T

Anyone know of a website that has a good tourist map for Durnstein and Melk. In Durnstein, we thought we would wander around on our own and not do the formal tour. In Melk, we will do the Amadeus tour to the abbey, then have time in the village to wander around. The group we are touring with has arranged a bus to take those of us who want to Passau. We will have 1.5-2 hours in Linz on our own, then bus to Passau to arrive before noon for the organ concert in the cathedral. Any must sees in these towns? Linz has some old churches and a virtual world museum that I wish we had time to see. The museum opens about the time we will be leaving. Thanks. Marlyne

I can't help you with Durnstein, but I promise you don't need a map for Melk. You can tour the abbey and then wander down the steps to the village. There's only one street, and it's very quaint, but not much else to it. We spent some time in a beer garden, shopped a little bit, and then wandered back to the boat.

I'm confused about your stops in Linz and Passau. Do you not actually stop in each place? I thought Linz was the stop for Salsburg? Our cruise didn't stop there, and I was disappointed, but we did spend the day in Passau. We also stopped in Regensburg, which was my favorite of the small stops. Do you stop there?

Amadeus stops in Linz for a half hour. The boat goes on to Passau and arrives there at 430. Those who are going to Salzburg get on buses there. We were given the option of either of the two above or staying in Linz for 1.5-2 hours then going to Passau on a bus in order to have more time in both Linz and Passau. Some of our group want the leisurely river cruise and others will go to Salzburg. We chose the more time in Linz and Passau. We've been to Salzburg and want to go back some time when it is not summer with the crowds. I am really looking forward to Regensburg. I've read about it here and in books. It looks very picturesque. The sausage sounds great too. Marlyne

Amadeus gives out good maps for almost every city. Do not worry most towns are small if you walk fast. We covered it all. Durnstein is so small that it is about 4 to 5 blocks long. If you take the hike up to the castle....beware it is a good hike, but well worth it. Don't spend alot of time up there or you will not be able to see all the shops in the town.(Word of advice.....the boat does leave on time...we had our cabin number called!!!) Melk is nice and walkable. Beware....when we went in May....all the shops closed at six.(The abbey tour and wine tasting ended at 5:15)

Marlyne,

I agree, you won´t need any maps for Duernstein and Melk. Both are pretty small and if you don´t do any shopping you can make it within 30 min. Check my review for a nice shop with local stuff in Duernstein.

Usually you´ll get maps aboard. But you can also order them in advance emailing all the towns you´re stopping. I did that for Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, Duernstein, Melk and Passau. I added the links to the towns to my review. Linz is www.linz.at (http://www.linz.at/english/index.asp for the English version), Regensburg is www.regensburg.de and Nuremberg www.nuermberg.de . Some sites my be German only then search for "Kontakt" and use the email address there.

Linz is not too interesting (o.k. would be for me as there´s a paddlewheel steamboat there). There´s a nice webcam:

http://195.3.98.30/live/linzcam.htm

As it´s a nice part of the river, I´d opt to stay aboard. Passau isn´t big at all (the historic downtown center) and all walkable (but expect steep paths). Main attraction is the cathedral and the organ.

steamboats

I finally read your review. I had looked but didn't realize it was at your signature. The fiakers in Vienna seem pretty expensive, but did it seem worth it? I thought we might do the tram around the Ringstrasse. I'm sure there will be times when need to rest our feet. Did I understand that there was construction going on along the riverfront in Budapest on the Pest side? I really appreciated all the detail in your review even though we will be on a different ship. Thanks. Marlyne

Marlyne,

It was some kind of road work going on in Budapest along the shore right where the boats are docking. The tram in Budapest was not affected by this work. But this was in early April. It might have been gone by the time you´re cruising.

steamboats

You mentioned elsewhere that you have about 3.5 hrs in Durstein. That is enough time. As already mentioned here, Durnstein is very small, and easy to cover. It took us (40's/50's) about an hour roundtrip to climb to the ruins. We were disadvantaged in that it was very cold, raining, and very windy. But we were glad we did it though. Afterward, we walked the town and warmed up with schnapps tasting at a cute little destillerie named Wieser. Here is a website for Durnstein: www.duernstein.at . Click under "about Durnstein" and you will find a map (although not very clear but the same one that our ship gave us). Although you do not need a map as it is so small a town. But you will find other good information.

Marlyne,

Give it a try! I won´t recommend it with high temps unless you take a bottle of water with you (it wasn´t really hot the day we went up but we needed that water definitely). If you can´t make it you can turn around at any time.

steamboats

I always have water with me. Is it usually pretty hot the first two weeks of July? I'm sure my husband can make it to the top. He would take great pictures for me. Whether I can make it depends on my Rheumatoid Arthritis. I hardly know from one hour to the next how much pain I may be in. I will want to try it especially if it is a clear day. Marlyne

Archived