Princess Travel Care vs. other insurance policies

Sierra Fox

Is there a clear advantage to purchasing travel insurance through Princess rather than a private company?

I've spent quite a bit of time reading the insurance threads on these boards and have already decided to purchase the insurance, I just need to decide on a company.

I've read many stories about people having to pay thousands and sometimes even tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket even when having the insurance or else they could not receive care. They would then file for reimbursement upon arriving home.

I know that Travelex and TravelGuard will pay as primaries but I'd like to find out if there is a policy that will take care of everything up front so I don't have to have several thousand dollars available should I become injured in a different country just so I can receive treatment without being turned away.

I thought maybe that would be an advantage to buying the insurance through Princess but I don't know if their policy works that way either.

Is there a clear advantage to purchasing travel insurance through Princess rather than a private company?

I've spent quite a bit of time reading the insurance threads on these boards and have already decided to purchase the insurance, I just need to decide on a company.

I've read many stories about people having to pay thousands and sometimes even tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket even when having the insurance or else they could not receive care. They would then file for reimbursement upon arriving home.

I know that Travelex and TravelGuard will pay as primaries but I'd like to find out if there is a policy that will take care of everything up front so I don't have to have several thousand dollars available should I become injured in a different country just so I can receive treatment without being turned away.

I thought maybe that would be an advantage to buying the insurance through Princess but I don't know if their policy works that way either.

I don't know of any insurance that will pay up front so you don't have any out of pocket. Usually you have to pay and then file the claim. It's good idea to have a credit card with a pretty high balance just in case. You might go to insuremytrip.com and check the various companies.

but have never had to use it. Our TA works for an insurance agency (service provided by the company) and she has always recommended Princess's insurance over her own company. That always said something to me. Whatever insurance you get, it will give you great peace of mind both before and during the cruise.

Charlie

If you book Princess air & insurance, it also covers the air portion. I know that some insurance companies do not cover the air portion if they are in chapter 11 or might be soon. That way you are completely covered, just in case the airline goes down.

What I like about the Princess insurance is that you may cancel for any reason. If something happens before you leave that is not a covered service, you may cancel and get either a 75% or 90% (depending on insurance level) future cruise credit. At least it protects most of your $$$$.

One thing that made me think twice about insurance coverage through Princess (or any other line I guess) is that if something happens and you have to cancel at the last minute or whatever, that you get a future cruise credit...I can't imagine not being able to cruise again but in the long run, is it not better to have cash back as opposed to the cruise credit?

Thoughts?? Also has anyone out there had to make a claim with any of these companies and if so, how was the process? I learned some good info on some of the alternative companies yesterday via another thread.

Archived