Anyone else get grief about taking time off?

chrismch

Didnt realize when I "Kvetched" (whined in Yiddish) that you all were nurses as well...Me to, cardiac triage.-private practice with 14 clinicians.

I really enjoy everyones pep talks..now I just need to let it go as you all said..Leaving next week. I know how much i will be missed while gone..and I am "snickering" and loving it..

Maybe we need a nurses cruise..!!!

Hugs

Daphna

I only work part time. When ever they need someone to fill in they ask me and i say sure but what day can I take off in trade. I realise that I cannot personally make up for the nursing shortage. During summer vacations I am working several extra days and now have off most of October off when we're going on our 11 night Canada/New England cruise on the Constellation.

I'll vote YES to a nurses cruise. Maybe we can schedule some CEU's.

Daphna, we have a lot in common, I was raised in the Bronx and moved to Southern Calif in high school and understand yiddish. I still consider Los Angeles Home but am living in Vegas for a little while. Hubby kinda retired in his mid fifties but we needed medical insurance so i went to work for an HMO. Most of the people work for a living not a hobby, I'm very fortunate.

Drew: You bad BOY! I "eke" out this living everyday so that I can go cruisin as often as I can! Diamond Princess, in September-NCL Star, in November...and, I'm counting the days!:D

Atomica: The part I hate the most about coming home after a cruise is the "let down"! It takes me weeks to get over that "cruisin feeling"!

Sheila: A "BIG", "YOU GO GIRL"! As I've said before, everyday at work is a day closer to a cruise!

To All the Nurses: It was a nurse, years ago, who saved my mothers life! You work so hard and mean so much to all of us.....please, take good care of yourselves!!!

See you on Board!:p

Roz

To All the NursesIt was a nurse, years ago, who saved my mothers life! You work so hard and mean so much to all of us.....please, take good care of yourselves!!!

See you on Board!:p

Roz

Thanks Roz

Quote from peterv:...I think I would have quit on the spot.

Hi, what peterv and many other Europeans don't understand is that American workers don't have the luxury of quitting the job on the spot because, for one thing, they are so dependent on having health insurance

coverage for themselves and their families through the company.

Thus, it gives the employers much leverage.

Whereas in the UK and elsewhere in Europe the government provides

National Health Insurance and it doesn't stop when a person quits or

loses a job and becomes unemployed. Therefore, it gives employees

and their families a great deal of independence, security, and protection.

Yes, doctors do deserve to live well and have a high standard of living and they do in the UK and elsewhere. But they don't need to be some of the richest people in the land as is the case in America. To an extent, their greed has driven healthcare to extortionate and unaffordable costs for employers and employees alike.

Unfortunately, there has always been that mentality in a society that seeks the fast route to a title and wealth. Such trappings attract too many to the profession who were never meant to be doctors.

'Bless the nurses and other healthcare workers and the doctors who do belong in the profession because it's their vocations and they are dedicated.

In my experience of having lived and worked in other countries, I see Americans as among the hardest working and the most loyal employees.

My sympathy is with the majority who earn and then are often begrudged such little vacation time. There's no better tonic for body, mind, and soul than a good vacation.

Cruisemates keep cruising. Bon Voyage!

It is sad but true, our American friends get what is arguably the least amount of vacation time in the western world and the most "guilt" pressure when they do go on vacation. The phrase "Americans live to work" is somewhat true vs. the rest of us who "work to live". Due to employment prospects and a biggie (as mentioned above), a health benefit program (if lucky enough), employers in America have their workers over a barrel. In Canada we are probably closer to Europeans on how we approach "work", overall. In my case I get 5 weeks vacation and another week paid "personal" time for illness or whatever. I don't use them all as I am in sales and 4 weeks is usually enough. I never had a complaint from superiors about going on vacation. Indeed, the only thing I have ever heard is "have a great holiday".

The company I work for is owned by an American corporation and, in talking with my American counterparts, the difference in the approach to vacation(s) is startling, really amazing. Oddly enough, Canada is the better performing unit...maybe employee satisfaction has something to do with our success...I certainly think so.

I really believe that, as a person hits their 40s' 4 weeks (at least 1 week per quarter) vacation should be the minimum. There really is more to life than work.

I know what you mean. I would get that kind of response whenever we went out of town during school vacations and then in the summer. Then, when we retired, it just so happens that we have been on many long and short trips and I get things all of the time like, "I wish I had your kind of money" etc. It just is that we saved our money and now we can spend some money by traveling. We planned for it and I don't want to have to explain it all of the time. However, I'm about to the point where I'm going to say the same as you.

I get that too Judy! We are very frugal and a cruise once or twice a year is our reward! We have had people say that too us too! and these are people driving $50,000 automobliles and who own things like RVs and expensive motor boats.

I drive an older Camry, my hubby does drive an older madza miata but that is an inexpensive sportcar when you price those things and we have none of that other stuff. I think everyone spends their money on what THEY enjoy. Some people can just be very catty about things. I KNOW we spend a lot LESS money then most people do.

SlotAddict, you could have said, "Well, actually, that IS what I think, and when you start signing my checks and paying my bills, then you can comment on my life."

By the way, I have not mentioned my November cruise yet at work:D . I'm leaving for Fla July 8, so I figure, I should come in sometime in September, say what a great deal I got and I just couldn;t pass it up.

Slotaddict: Happy cruising! Obviously, what ever you're doing, you're doing it right!

I have to let my work know at least 6 months in advance and, would you believe it, I've got seniority!:o

Don't ya just love it when somone reminds us how "rotten" workers, here in the States, have it? Cause it's true....we work for those benefits and I might say, we work damn hard for em!

And, there's always someone who want to reduce them....if it isn't the politician, it's the "fat cat"! OOPS! Are they the same?:D

So, when, finally, vacation time comes.....I NEVER, NEVER feel guilty!

Roz

It's nice to hear that we are appreciated! Most of the nurses I know wouldn't stand for anyone getting in the way of their vacation time - that said, most of the nurses I know are in high acuity specialties (like cardiac, oncology or hospice) and we really need those vacations when they do come around.

Karyn - hooray for da Bronx! Born and raised and still here. We want everyong outside to think it's a dump so they don't come here, "discover" us and raise the prices!

Daphna - don't feel guilty. You're not there to save everyone. It's a team effort.

Roz - thank you for your kind thoughts.

Cruisin' time is coming...

When we moved out of state 20 years ago (from the Buffalo, NY area). At that time, because of DH's job, we were moving every few years. Our children were young and it was very difficult at times for us. He finally advanced enough in his career to stay in one place for several years (Florida).

Family always expected us to come home holidays and birthdays. With limited time off for DH, and living in Florida (a great place to visit), we thought the "vacation" thing should go both ways. We did the trek back several times, running from house to house to visit everyone. As much as I love my family, it got old. They would sometimes come to Florida, but only after doing the Disney, Beach thing first (we were an after thought, a small visit in the evening).

We have since been on several cruises, and do not go to Buffalo often. Maybe we are being selfish, but I call home several times a week and visit now only occasionally. I have offered to pay for them to join us on a cruise, or meet up somewhere half way, if they don't want to cruise (they can all afford to buy cruises themselves), but they never take us up on our offer.

They still get angry when we say we are going on another cruise, even though they all do what they want, when they want. They tell me I will be sorry someday for the choices I make. (By the way, I always go with my husband and 3 boys on vacation). I also offer them tickets to come visit and stay with us. We live in a golf course community with all the other ammenities, as well as have our own pool. We are about 5 minutes from the ocean.

Needless to say, I am still consider selfish, and the "bad girl" for not showing up at the family get-togethers.

I figure my husband works hard, and loves to cruise. With his limited time off (they have long holidays off as well as the summers...they are teachers) we will do our thing, and I will stay in touch by phone with occasional visits to NY.

...and I will stay in touch by phone with occasional visits to NY.

Been there ..done that! Your Buffalo family is following a standard path for inducing a guilt trip...but you are following the right path for your family's circumstances.

....cruise on....Oui

I work for a major computer company who's name rhymes with "ITM". It's brutal. I'm entitled to 4 weeks vacation a year, but they expect you to take your laptop and keep in contact. I fight about it every year, the whole point of my vacation is to keep away from work. When I get back though, there is so much work to catch up on, I hesitate to take more than a week off at a time. So, what I end up doing it taking long weekends throughout the year. Companies in North America spout off terms like "work/life balance", but there was a recent study that said about 20% of Canadians NEVER take vacation. With down sizing and outsourcing happening all the time we like to think we can keep ourselves valuable by not taking any time off.

That's why I chose a cruise this year. They can't find me when I'm sailing on the ocean. The actually call me when I'm at the cottage. I can't wait for the tranquility. Thanks for letting me rant.

event.png

Archived