Live From The Crown !!

cruisesusie

Thanks so much for posting the info and the pics!! :)

I must say that I am a little disappointed that the seafood at Vines and the snacks at the International Cafe carry an extra charge. It seems the cruiselines are really moving towards these venues with additional charges vs. the supposed all-inclusive foods.

So that makes it included pizza, burger grill, buffet and dining rooms, but extra for Int Cafe, Vines, Crown Grille, Sabatinis, and the foods in the Santuary.

Thanks so much for posting the info and the pics!! :)

I must say that I am a little disappointed that the seafood at Vines and the snacks at the International Cafe carry an extra charge. It seems the cruiselines are really moving towards these venues with additional charges vs. the supposed all-inclusive foods.

So that makes it included pizza, burger grill, buffet and dining rooms, but extra for Int Cafe, Vines, Crown Grille, Sabatinis, and the foods in the Santuary.

X and HAL do not charge for sushi so I was a bit surprised as well.:(

It seems that ala carte venues are becoming common place. I personally do not mind paying extra for specialty restaurants considering the intimate, adult atmosphere and stepped up food and service. But, chocolate covered strawberries? Candies? Snacks? JMHO, but it seems a bit nickel and dime. And the sad thing is that Princess will follow suit on the other ships if successful on Crown. This has been proven by their competition and has changed the face of mass market cruising.

And the news about the Sanctuary is not good, but not unexpected. It seems to me that if they build a ship for 3100 pax, limiting their nicest adult area to only 70 is asking for problems. The future will likely see higher charges just to get in and enjoy some peace and quiet.

It will all be very interesting:confused:.

What side of the ship do I need to be on to see the statue of liberty as we sail out from Red Hook? Also, how close to the coast line of the US is she sailing as you head south? Can you see any of the US coast? Thank you for your reports. I love these updates and can hardly wait until it is our turn.

And the news about the Sanctuary is not good, but not unexpected. It seems to me that if they build a ship for 3100 pax, limiting their nicest adult area to only 70 is asking for problems. The future will likely see higher charges just to get in and enjoy some peace and quiet.

It will all be very interesting:confused:.

See..... that's why I always cruise with a balcony cabin....next cruise...mini-suite. I like to have some peace and quiet...read my book...and have a drink or two...or three...or four....take a nap...you know:D :D

cruisesusie....thanks for the review:)

What side of the ship do I need to be on to see the statue of liberty as we sail out from Red Hook? Also, how close to the coast line of the US is she sailing as you head south? Can you see any of the US coast? Thank you for your reports. I love these updates and can hardly wait until it is our turn.

Great question! I am going to take a guess and say the starboard side. Am I right, Suzy?:confused:

See..... that's why I always cruise with a balcony cabin....next cruise...mini-suite. I like to have some peace and quiet...read my book...and have a drink or two...or three...or four....take a nap...you know:D :D

cruisesusie....thanks for the review:)

Me, too, but I also enjoy sitting by the pool with my book, enjoying peace and quiet. Looks like I will have to get there by 7:00am to get a chair.:p

Yep, we love when the ship is docked and it's nice and quiet on board. Sometimes we get off the ship and do a little shopping. Many times we stay on board and enjoy the nice choice of deck chairs around the pool area. *giggle*

On the Crown, I probably won't disembark at Bonaire. I think it's pretty much for snorkeling there. And I might not disembark at St. Thomas since I've already been there a couple of times. Grenada is a MUST SEE and we'll probably go do some gambling in Aruba. I don't know anything about St Kitts.

On the Grand and the Caribbean, we were kissing and hugging the calypso band guys at the end of the cruise. We all got to know each other. Two different bands, both wonderful! We were so disappointed that they didn't have this type of music on the Sapphire to the Mexican Riv a few weeks ago...must be a "caribbean" thang.

-Deanna

Thanks so much Susan for taking the time out of your vacation to post this for us, we are all eagerly waiting for every post.

Is the aft pool better now that skywalkers has been moved forward and are they enforcing the 'Adults Only' rule there?

Ruth

I was wondering what the balcony furniture is like on the minisuites. I know the regular balconies are a table and two chairs (aluminum not plastic). What about the minis? I know they used to have 4 chairs and a table. Thanks for the info. Have a great trip.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to keep us "in the know" about what's going on aboard "our" new vessel.

Now that we've got the niceties over with let's get down to the important issues: How's the room service booze situation? Can you order liters of Grey Goose, Crown Royal, etc. or did they go to the 375 mil kits like they (Princess) has been threatening to.

Reading the post about how Princess is charging for all the extras including the seafood is making me think that I made a mistake booking my June 23rd cruise. I don't like that fact that Princess thinks that once they get you on board now they can turn the screws on you. They will have a big surprise when the word get around. It is obvious that they are selling there product under price. Princess needs to raise the price of the cruise and stop playing there game of nickel and diming the passengers. What is next? Charging for a seat in a life boat? People book a cruise for a good time. They do not want to have to deal with another large bill after the cruise is over. Maybe its time to change cruise lines. I am going to say it again. Looks like Princess is turning into another NCL. I hope someone from Princess reads this. I will be in cabin D601 next week if they want to talk to me.

Larry

The extras are optional. ;)

Reading the post about how Princess is charging for all the extras including hte seafood is making me think that I made a mistake booking my June 23rd cruise. I don't like that fact that Princess thinks that onece they get you on board now they can turn the screws on you. They will have a big suprise when the word get around. It is obvious that they are selling there product under price. Princess needs to raise the price of the cruise and stop playing there game of nicke and diming the passangers. What is next? Charging fo a seat in a life boat? People book a cruise for a good time. They do not wnat to have to deal with another large bill after the cruise is over. Maybe its time to change cruise lines. I am going to say it again. Looks like Princess is turning into another NCL. I hoep someone from Princess reads this. I wil be in cabin D601 next week if they want to talk to me. Larry

Mirage - Glad you know that there is only one sea day - wouldn't want you to be surprised. Gambling in Aruba - here we come!! We got married last year in St. Thomas while on the Navigator and then went on the Coral straight after for our honeymoon - so we love St. Thomas and will be getting off. Have been to a few places already and others like SJ, ST and SM many times. I wonder why the other lady (I can't remember her name) said to stay on the ship on St. Kitts and get off in Bonaire? Is St. Kitts not very good? We also did the Sapphire Mexican Riviera last September and I had to laugh when I read that 'cause we had a "gawd awful" band that my husband complained about daily. I think the passengers should have taken turns singing - it would have been better - ha ha.

A Princess rep told us that they have al fresco dining at Sabatini's - is this true? I agree with others and am not very happy to hear that they are charging extra for things that normally would be included - not good!

Oh well, only have just about 10 months to wait!!

Canuck

PS These live reports are fantastic and very generous of you to take the time out of your cruise to let us in on everything!!

Anyone who thinks that the main stream cruise lines are all inclusive either hasn't been on a cruise in a while or never leaves their cabin when they are on the ship.

Nickle and diming are the regular part of cruising.

BILLP1

I have been on over 60 cruises in my life. Starting from the mid 60s to now. BTW I am only 51. I have never been in a surcharge resturant that also charges you again for extras on top of extras. What is next. Oh Sir, would you like a napkin? There is a charge for this also. GIVE ME A BREAK! The only reasson Princess is doing this is beause pansengers let it happen.

I was on the two night preview cruise, so I've been reading the questions and debates with great interest.

The debate on the Sanctuary seems to exactly mirror the debate about Johnny Rockets when RCCL added it to the Voyager Class ships. When it was announced everyone marveled at the innovation. When the cruises started it was packed and people complained that even though it was great that it was too crowded to enjoy. The cruise line then decided to charge a small cover to control the crowds. They has success and the crowds went down and then had an uproar that this was another example of the cruise lines nickel and diming people. They truly can't win either way and one half of the glass is going to empty/full. I prefer it as a free space and let them come up with a way to time people.

IMHO the stern area of the ship is the best adults only area anyway....go there instead and you have quiet, tons of chairs to choose from, your own bar, a few hot tubs and the best view on the ship.

I could only hear MUTS from the MUTS area on the Crown, so I'm puzzled by this debate as well. There are plenty of pools on the ship and if you don't like MUTS then go to another one.

The non-MUTS main pool DID have a calypso band most of the day.

Michael

Reading the post about how Princess is charging for all the extras including the seafood is making me think that I made a mistake booking my June 23rd cruise. I don't like that fact that Princess thinks that once they get you on board now they can turn the screws on you. They will have a big surprise when the word get around. It is obvious that they are selling there product under price. Princess needs to raise the price of the cruise and stop playing there game of nickel and diming the passengers. What is next? Charging for a seat in a life boat? People book a cruise for a good time. They do not want to have to deal with another large bill after the cruise is over. Maybe its time to change cruise lines. I am going to say it again. Looks like Princess is turning into another NCL. I hope someone from Princess reads this. I will be in cabin D601 next week if they want to talk to me.

Larry

Larry,

If you were smart, you would have booked RCCL. They don't charge extra for speciality food items. The only extra charge for food is if you went to a specility restaurant. Nothing extra for lobster.

The debate on the Sanctuary seems to exactly mirror the debate about Johnny Rockets when RCCL added it to the Voyager Class ships. When it was announced everyone marveled at the innovation. When the cruises started it was packed and people complained that even though it was great that it was too crowded to enjoy. The cruise line then decided to charge a small cover to control the crowds. They has success and the crowds went down and then had an uproar that this was another example of the cruise lines nickel and diming people. They truly can't win either way and one half of the glass is going to empty/full. I prefer it as a free space and let them come up with a way to time people.

If I remember correctly, with Johnny Rockets they began by charging for the service and people rebelled and then it was free and then it became too crowded and then the charge came back.....

I am also disappointed at the Sanctuary info.

Alysia - the lobster has always been free in the dining room on Princes. One formal night, every 7 night cruise - they have free lobster.

RCCL does its own share of nickel and diming. By no means are they above Princess with this.

Alysia - Princess serves lobster in the main dining room as well as the Caribe' Cafe at no extra charge. On the longer cruises, they serve King Crab Legs in the dining room - something I have never had on RCCL. While I don't agree with the surcharge for the lobster, it is optional and no one is forced to eat there or pay extra for lobster. RCCL has extra charge restaurants also, and IMHO, food that isn't as good as Princess'.

Archived