Royal Carribean vs Princess

NEGC IS CORRECT...The RCI Junior Suite tops a Princess Mini Suite. I have stayed in all of them and I really like the RCI D1 or the Princess Mini...to me they are comparable...I even think the shower in the D1 us fine...bigger than the normal RCI shower in the lower catagories.

Traditional Dining is alive on Princess...the problem is...you can't get it unless you book 2 years ahead. I know folks who booked 12 months ahead and still could not get it.

We enjoy the traditional dinning and that is what we did on the Caribbean Princess in December...but I would like to try any time dinning. The only disadvantage would be not having the same table mates every night. But, now we all the choices, they are not even there every night.

I do agree a slight edge to RCCl except for the pizza. Princess has the BEST!

IMHO, there's a big difference between a Princess mini and an RCI D1.....

the mini has a bathtub, not just a small shower stall.

Jean was comparing size, not features. The minisuite on Princess is the same size as a standard balcony on RCI. If you compare the minisuite with a JS on RCI (same concept/features), the JS is much larger.

What ship did you sail on in a minisuite? Sometimes different ships have different minisuites - like the R4 ships.

NEGC IS CORRECT...The RCI Junior Suite tops a Princess Mini Suite. I have stayed in all of them and I really like the RCI D1 or the Princess Mini...to me they are comparable...I even think the shower in the D1 us fine...bigger than the normal RCI shower in the lower catagories.

Traditional Dining is alive on Princess...the problem is...you can't get it unless you book 2 years ahead. I know folks who booked 12 months ahead and still could not get it.

The only way to be guaranteed your "personal choice" is to choose anytime. We booked 11 months in advance and waitlisted for traditional, either early or late, and never made it. There are some who will post that you can make a reservation with the exception of between 7:00p - 8:00p, but I don't cruise for the opportunity to jockey for reservations every night. That is one detail I would rather not have to deal with.

If that is what you consider a big difference, you are correct. However the room size of a Princess mini and an RCI D1 is about equal. D1 on RCI is considerably larger than the outside rooms with balconies on Princess and closest comparison is the Princess mini-sute. If you compare a RCI junior suite with a Princess mini, RCI comes out even larger and both the JS and the mini have a bath tub.

I disagree with this, except for the part about a D1 cabin on RC being larger than a regular balcony on Princess. A Royal Caribbean D1 cabin is larger than a Princess balcony cabin, and has a sofa whereas the Princess balcony cabin only has a chair.

A Princess mini-suite on the Grand class (including balcony) is between 70-90 square feet larger than a Royal Caribbean D1 cabin (including balcony). I put the range in there because D1 cabins on the Voyager class are larger than D1 cabins on the Vision class. The Princess minis are about 20 square feet smaller than a JS on the Voyager class ships, but about 20 square feet larger than a JS on the Vision class ships.

Jean was comparing size, not features. The minisuite on Princess is the same size as a standard balcony on RCI. If you compare the minisuite with a JS on RCI (same concept/features), the JS is much larger.

What ship did you sail on in a minisuite? Sometimes different ships have different minisuites - like the R4 ships.

Looking at the numbers only, I disagree...

I looked at the Mariner and the Caribbean for my sept cruise

RCI JS 299+65 = 364 Sq Ft = $3,177.58

Princess Mini AC 323 Sq ft total with balcony = $1,812.00

RCI Balcony D1 206 + 42 = 248 Total Sq Ft = $2,297.58

For the price I just can't go away from princess, plus anytime dining is the best...Some night my wife and I dine at 5:30 and other nights its 9 pm.

These number were taken from each of their websites.

The only way to be guaranteed your "personal choice" is to choose anytime. We booked 11 months in advance and waitlisted for traditional, either early or late, and never made it. There are some who will post that you can make a reservation with the exception of between 7:00p - 8:00p, but I don't cruise for the opportunity to jockey for reservations every night. That is one detail I would rather not have to deal with.

You can make a standing reservation....

Looking at the numbers only, I disagree...

I looked at the Mariner and the Caribbean for my sept cruise

RCI JS 299+65 = 364 Sq Ft = $3,177.58

Princess Mini AC 323 Sq ft total with balcony = $1,812.00

RCI Balcony D1 206 + 42 = 248 Total Sq Ft = $2,297.58

For the price I just can't go away from princess, plus anytime dining is the best...Some night my wife and I dine at 5:30 and other nights its 9 pm.

These number were taken from each of their websites.

Well that's strange, I did what you said and modeled bookings on each of their websites for Sep 2 & 3. The Princess AC mini wasn't $1812, it was $2591. The AA mini was $2991. If you paid $1812 before any incentives or discounts, that's less than $850pp. You got a an unprecedented price.

The D3 on Mariner Sep 3 was $2058. That's $500 less than the AC mini. The best price for a D1, D2 or D3 was Sep 10, at $1862, $1902 and $1982 respectively.

It's interesting to model the exact same Labor Day week for 2007 on Princess. The AC mini is $4782 and AA is $5582 (the JS on Mariner is $3663 and D1 is $2783). What gives? That's almost double what they are charging for 2006. Does it pay not to book in advance on Princess? Are they having trouble filling their ships this summer?

Anytime dining is another can of worms -- it's not an advantage in my book. I wouldn't book a ship again that offered it unless I was guaranteed traditional dining (like Tahitian).

You can make a standing reservation....

Why would I want to make a reservation for earlier or later than the traditional dining times? If I'm stuck with anytime, I don't want to eat at 5:30 or 9:30. I want a set dining time, at the same table, with the same tablemates and waitstaff. If I can't be guaranteed my "personal choice", I won't choose Princess because there are other lines out there who can. I realize that some people like showing up to eat when they feel like it, and don't mind waiting 5 minutes to an hour for a table, the diminished level of service, or making a reservation every day or a standing reservation for the same weird time every night, but not everyone does, and I fall into that category.

Well that's strange, I did what you said and modeled bookings on each of their websites for Sep 2 & 3. The Princess AC mini wasn't $1812, it was $2591. The AA mini was $2991. If you paid $1812 before any incentives or discounts, that's less than $850pp. You got a an unprecedented price.

The D3 on Mariner Sep 3 was $2058. That's $500 less than the AC mini. The best price for a D1, D2 or D3 was Sep 10, at $1862, $1902 and $1982 respectively.

It's interesting to model the exact same Labor Day week for 2007 on Princess. The AC mini is $4782 and AA is $5582 (the JS on Mariner is $3663 and D1 is $2783). What gives? That's almost double what they are charging for 2006. Does it pay not to book in advance on Princess? Are they having trouble filling their ships this summer?

Anytime dining is another can of worms -- it's not an advantage in my book. I wouldn't book a ship again that offered it unless I was guaranteed traditional dining (like Tahitian).

I got that price...( 1977 with insurance) I can't tell you where from but I did book a couple of months ago and since them the pricing has gone up.....I have no clue where you are getting your pricing from because labor day next year I just looked to book the western caribbean aboard the CB and its 955 per person and I know I can get it cheaper....Don't use the Princess website...TA's are allowed to discount Princess, So use an online agy....and to each his own on the dining aspect..I wouldn't book a cruise with out anytime dining.. The most I have ever waited was 5-10 mins, and in that time I bought my wife some jewerly and she loved it....Like I said I eat at 5:30 one night and 9:00 the next...I really want to go on RCI but the anytime dining is what is really stopping me.

Why would I want to make a reservation for earlier or later than the traditional dining times? If I'm stuck with anytime, I don't want to eat at 5:30 or 9:30. I want a set dining time, at the same table, with the same tablemates and waitstaff. If I can't be guaranteed my "personal choice", I won't choose Princess because there are other lines out there who can. I realize that some people like showing up to eat when they feel like it, and don't mind waiting 5 minutes to an hour for a table, the diminished level of service, or making a reservation every day or a standing reservation for the same weird time every night, but not everyone does, and I fall into that category.

Like I said before you can make a standing reservation....for whatever time YOU want, not some weird time .. my inlaws wanted to eat at 6:45 every night and that is what time they went, they had the same table every night, it was a table for two, and they had the same waitstaff.

I know another couple that wanted to eat at 8:15 every night, they went to see the maitre d when they boarded the ship and asked for a table for two by the water and he set them up. They had the same waitstaff every night...

another thing...I have heard that you can't make reservations during the 7-8 hour...but when I asked the maitre d about this he said that wasn't true....so who knows?/?

Its really what you like, and if RCI has been good to you then I say stay with them. I am having a hard time trying something new because Princess has been awesome to me and my family. If you are happy with a product then why switch?

This is NOT true. Princess is NOT moving away from traditional dining. Traditional dining (with two seatings, fixed tables, tablemates and waiters) is, and will continue to be, on every ship. What IS the case is that Princess offers cruisers a choice of either traditional dining (in one traditional dining room) OR open seating dining (in two other dining rooms). This choice is one of Princess' main differentiating points.

That is what I thought when they first announced that you could have the option of booking traditional or anytime dining. However, in practice, too many people are denied traditional dining when they request it, and Princess does nothing to accommodate them. While they may not be planning to eliminate traditional dining, they certainly seem to be doing everything in their power to make it difficult for those who want traditional dining to get it, and everything possible to encourage people to accept anytime dining.

I got that price...( 1977 with insurance) I can't tell you where from but I did book a couple of months ago and since them the pricing has gone up.....I have no clue where you are getting your pricing from because labor day next year I just looked to book the western caribbean aboard the CB and its 955 per person and I know I can get it cheaper....Don't use the Princess website...TA's are allowed to discount Princess, So use an online agy....and to each his own on the dining aspect..I wouldn't book a cruise with out anytime dining.. The most I have ever waited was 5-10 mins, and in that time I bought my wife some jewerly and she loved it....Like I said I eat at 5:30 one night and 9:00 the next...I really want to go on RCCI but the anytime dining is what is really stopping me.

But you said the numbers were taken from their websites? The pricing I quoted is from Princess and RCI websites. If you are shopping around, you can find deals on both lines. I got a JS on Rhapsody for an insane price. I paid full price for the Serenade but I'll be watching for price drops, which are honored even after final payment to RCI.

Re: anytime dining, we waited 45 minutes once on the Grand with a beeper, average was 15 minutes, shortest (at 6:00) was 5 minutes. It was uncomfortable being behind people in line who already had beepers, who just got back in line to complain about the wait. Sometimes it got ugly. The waitstaff weren't even in the same league as RCI waitstaff. I asked for iced tea 3 times during dinner and never got it. What made it worse was I couldn't get my water glass filled, either. It was a real eye-opener. Thank goodness there are choices out there, something for everyone. I'm looking forward to traditional dining on the Tahitian.

I agree.

Won't be on Princess iuntil September on the Crown.

I was just pointing out that there's a little more wiggle room having a bathtub to stand in while showering rather than just stall space.

If you compare the minisuite with a JS on RCI (same concept/features), the JS is much larger.

But you said the numbers were taken from their websites? The pricing I quoted is from Princess and RCI websites. If you are shopping around, you can find deals on both lines. I got a JS on Rhapsody for an insane price. I paid full price for the Serenade but I'll be watching for price drops, which are honored even after final payment to RCI.

Re: anytime dining, we waited 45 minutes once on the Grand with a beeper, average was 15 minutes, shortest (at 6:00) was 5 minutes. It was uncomfortable being behind people in line who already had beepers, who just got back in line to complain about the wait. Sometimes it got ugly. The waitstaff weren't even in the same league as RCI waitstaff. I asked for iced tea 3 times during dinner and never got it. What made it worse was I couldn't get my water glass filled, either. It was a real eye-opener. Thank goodness there are choices out there, something for everyone. I'm looking forward to traditional dining on the Tahitian.

correct me if I am wrong...and I hope I am but I thought TA's weren't allowed to discount RCI's pricing...that is why every online agy I have pulled up is the same price as the RCI website....

Princess allows TA's to discount their pricing..

?/?

So it wouldn't matter if I got the pricing off the RCI website or from an online agy the are both the same..

If I am wrong then let me know, If RCI allows TA's to discount their pricing then even with traditional dining I will be trying RCI.

We just got home from a 9 day Explorer cruise(June 2-11) and are eagerly ready to start planning our next cruise for March 07- I know most would disagree but we weren't crazy about the food in the DR on the Explorer- We are considering booking on the new Crown Princess and going to Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia etc...out of PR. Has anyone been on both lines and how do you rate trincess as far as food, accomidations and service? as compared to RCCL? Also is this a good itinerary- St Thomas and St Martin also included but we have been there and know how much fun they are????? Any feedback is really appreciated...

Thanks-Sandee S

Sandees started a very interesting thread on comparing Royal Caribbean and Princess. People have been very kind and courteous in their responses, with people NOT cheerleading for Royal Caribbean, but cogently stating their reasons for favoring RC, or reasons for preferring Princess.

The same has not occurred on a mirror thread on the Princess board.

All that having been said, I am sailing on the Crown Princess in three and a half weeks. I have sailed on Voyager class, Vision class and Sovereign class. (missed out on Radiance class thanks to USAir)

I shall return on July 20th, and will be brutally honest with comparisons. Let the chips fall where they may.

If you can't get traditional dining on Princess, there is a table to go to when you board to switch. I was very upset being assigned anytime dining but was happy when it was changed for us to late traditional dining. The first night, you have to do the anytime dining but then get your table assignment the next day.

The only thing we missed out on was 1 night of enjoyment with our "traditional" table mates.

This is one of the reasons we'll try to only book RCCL for future cruises.

My online TA does not discount RCI pricing, of course, but gives points which can be used for free insurance, onboard credits, spa treatments, etc. etc. ;)

So it wouldn't matter if I got the pricing off the RCI website or from an online agy the are both the same..If I am wrong then let me know, If RCI allows TA's to discount their pricing then even with traditional dining I will be trying RCI.

RCI doesn't permit TAs to discount their fares. However, TAs frequently block group space and can often offer rooms at a lower price than the prices currently on the RCI website. Check with your TA to see if he or she has any such space available.

While price will always be a factor in deciding when, how, and with whom to book, it should not be your only criteria. Consider the various services that a good TA can offer: the value of the information and advice that he or she can provide, and the wealth of knowledge about cruiselines, individual ships, and specific destinations, and a $50 savings may pale in comparison.

Flvol77, a good TA will give free insurance (like Travel Guard) and onboard credit, sometimes bottles of wine. They just can't discount the price.

Carol, I hope you have a wonderful time on the Crown. There are some interesting new features and I think this new ship is closer to RCI ships in design than any other Princess ship (but don't say that on the Princess board, ever :) ). We had the choice of the Crown or Serenade for 2008 (southern Caribbean) and I chose the Serenade due to the scenic turns at the Pitons at St. Lucia and at Montserrat. The Crown was cheaper but I've read great comments about these little extras done by the captain and I can't wait to experience it.

Archived