NCL does not honor its fares!!

Newlyweds28

I offer again - have the OP post or email the detailed pricing screen shot that says it includes air, NCF. taxes, Ins. And we all will help get that offer honored.

From that page - top of page not a footnote

Please select a stateroom category to continue. Pricing is in USD and is the initial price quote per person based on double occupancy unless single pricing was originally requested. This quote is preliminary and only includes applicable cruise fares. Additional guest fares, charges for features, and taxes will be added to your final price based upon your selections in the shopping process.

Well, I am not the OP, but if you click on the link below, you will see my screen shot, showing that I should get the owner's suite on a 6-day cruise to the Bahamas for $795 per person. Will you help me honor that deal just from a screen shot?

http://us.share.geocities.com/thewyldkat/untitled.bmp

Obviously I doctored that. With Microsoft Paint. Which is available on any computer with Windows.

Again, please do not expect NCL (or any other company) to treat a screen shot as hard evidence.

Well I obviously did not expect this kind of response on my thread. I did not expect everyone to see it MY way, I just wanted to get what happened to me out there so that someone else did not have the same thing happen to them and be on hold for a week.

I offer one last time send be the screen shot or post it. If the details are there I will try and help with the contacts I have made over the years at NCL.

:( NCL reservationists are Famous for double talk!! They make you wait online forever and they say hey will call you back about a problem-They NEVER will!!!

The service on their ships however is much better. But they need an all new Customer Service crew.

I had this same issue happen on Travelocity a few months back when pricing for a July POH cruise. I got all excited...... :D

Then rationale kicked in. I also knew that flights from Texas were in the $700 range since I had been checking for months. How could Travelocity get me a $120.00 flight?

Once you go further in the process to choose a cabin, the price is then adjusted to include the actual fare, flight and taxes. Way, way, way more!! But more in line with what flights were going for.:eek:

Too good to be true........ Incidentally, for me it was way better to book the cruise and flight separately.

Regards,

LadyAngler

Actually reminds me of a quote I got from a TA for a cruise and when I went to book it she realized it was a misquote. I did not expect her to honor it, but I did take my business elsewhere.

Wow:o The TA was mis-quoted by the supplier and you blame her:confused: Is that why you took your business elsewhere? Even tho you did not expect her to honor it?

Whew.....and people say that this is a "glamorous profession":rolleyes:

Copied from the NCL website. Sorry for screen print format but this is the wording on the website (where it is properly formatted). Note the comment part of the form which clearly states the price is cruise only. Once you go to the summary page you get the "total price" (including airfare).

Unless OP is basing her complaints on an incorrect SUMMARY page which includes all charges including air and taxes, she really has no quote to go on at all. I had originally assumed she was going on an incorrect Summary and could understand some annoyance about an error there. However if she is this upset about a slightly confusing preliminary price list and thinks some sort of compensation is in order, I think she really will not be happy on this cruise. No point in having an unhappy vacation over a poorly designed List Screen. Frankly I think switching cruiselines would be best.

The following was clipped from the NCL website:

Search Select Voyage Select Category Select Stateroom Pricing Guest Information Extras Summary Complete

Vacation:

7-Day HAWAII

Vacation Start:

12/02/2006

Vacation End:

12/09/2006

Ship:

Pride of America

Air from: <<<<<<<< Note this is misleading but

YYZ <<<<<<<< the next paragraph is CLEAR

Please select a stateroom category to continue. Pricing is in USD and is the initial price quote per person based on double occupancy unless single pricing was originally requested. This quote is preliminary and only includes applicable cruise fares. Additional guest fares, charges for features, and taxes will be added to your final price based upon your selections in the shopping process.

Category Stateroom Category

Description *Vacation

Price

GRAND SUITE 6,007

OWNERS SUITE 4,375

DELUXE PENTHOUSE 3,876

DELUXE FAMILY PENTHOUSE 3,876

PENTHOUSE 3,459

PENTHOUSE 3,231

FAMILY SUITE 2,794

OBSTRUCTED VIEW FAMILY SUITE 2,690

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,942

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,921

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,900

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,879

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,858

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,838

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,817

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,422

OCEANVIEW BALCONY 1,370

OCEANVIEW 1,537

OCEANVIEW 1,505

OCEANVIEW 1,474

OBSTRUCTED OCEANVIEW 1,474

OCEANVIEW 891 <<<<I would assume this is where the price comes

INSIDE 1,266 <<<<< from but as you can see from

INSIDE 1,240 <<<<< the paragraph above it is CRUISE ONLY

INSIDE 1,214

INSIDE 1,188

INSIDE 1,152

INSIDE 860

INSIDE 839

† Upgrades may be available. Please select the pricing to verify if eligible

Need help booking this cruise? Contact your local travel professional or NCL. Click here for NCL contact information.

©2006 NCL Corporation Ltd., All rights reserved.

Legal Notice | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

What exactly was the mistake? The OP did not continue with the booking online to secure the price so what she was seeing was preliminary. The price the OP saw was mid booking. Let's say I go online to rent a car. I get a screen with the price with the car I've selected. When I click to confirm the car, that's when the true price comes up with the fees, etc. So should I be able to go back the confirmation page and print that out and call and demand that price minus all the taxes, fees, etc? Just like the OP, I was in mid process of booking a car and saw the price.

And what do you think the OP deserves? I think the OP deserves an apology which was given. How does this equate to something for nothing? I really want to understand. Is it just because there's a glitch? There was an error that was caught pretty quick and NCL apologized for it. But they're supposed to then discount something hundreds of dollars anyway when the price seen wasn't at the booking stage? The OP could not book this rate online or on the phone so how is that a rate the OP could have gotten? It just doesn't make sense to me. Sure, if the OP had continued online and booked this trip at that price then been told it was wrong then OK...the OP deserves something. But the OP called and found out pretty quick that the price was wrong. I don't see how that equates to free stuff. It warrants an apology which the OP got. The OP isn't out anything because of this. I'm sorry but I don't get it.

Cecelia, tahe car example is exactly what I referred to earlier on this thread. It happened to us last weekend and you are correct; of course when I went to confirm it wouldn't take. I really didn't think we could rent a full sized or any sized car for %35.00plus for 3 days. We had a discount coupon but not that discounted. As you have said, only an apology is needed and whe got that. I guess the last person she spoke with wasn't very helpful, do you think they may have been a little tired of her challenges at that point? NMnita

First off, NCL's shoreside customer service is a nightmare, bad to horrible, but I suggest you save yourself the stress and let this go. They should never have promised you anything and then taken it back. But having fought tooth and nail with NCL's shoreside people once before (and even getting what I was promised) you end up stressed out and bitter about the situation and frankly I learned my leason: I should have just walked away. If it really upsets you and there's still time, cancel the original reservation (I wish I had in my case)

That said, I'm not entirely simpathetic. If I bought an airfare and there's a fare sale you don't get money back (new bookings only!). If I look on a car dealership's website and it says "$1,200" and I go to the lot and they say it's a misprint, it should have been "$12,000" I can demand the lower price all I want. I ain't going to get it.

Just because a fare appears on a website doesn't mean it's available. I bet if you tried to book a cabin at that rate you would have gotten an error message. Chances are NO ONE got that rate (if you believe what the agents were telling you) It's sucks, but it happens all the time (I've had it happen a bunch of times when I'm priceshopping on the Celebrity Cruise Line site) Fare appear all the time on the booking sites that when you get to last screen just aren't available. It's not really a bait and switch (I honestly think the cruise lines just screw up their yeild management software alot), I mean if the fare wasn't really available what have you lost? The only way I would be upset is if I had booked at that rate and then they tried to take it back, then you'd have a case!

It's terrible that they promised you something and then took it back. But I suppose the best way to look at it was that it was a typo, a fluke, a mistake. You already booked and put a deposit on the cabin so you must have found a price you were willing to pay. Try to feel good about it. But as I said before if you're really upset I doubt you'll get the satisfaction you're looking for.

I have to stand by NCL on this one. They did honor the new price that I found on their website just two days ago. My TA had been away for two weeks so I hadn't been in to make my final payment. (It's not due until next month, but I wanted to pay it off)...Anyway, I kept checking NCL's website to see if the price was the same or had changed any. I kept finding a new price, lower than I was paying. When I went to see my TA on Wednesday, I told her about it and she looked it up through their system. She said she was not finding the price I mentioned. She got right on the phone and called NCL. While she was on hold, she asked me how I found the price and I told her how to use their site and go through the motions that we go through to look for a cruise. She found the exact price I was talking about. I knew I wasn't crazy. She told the rep that she had found it herself and that I was right. It took about 20 minutes of her being on hold with them, but the woman finally told her that it was a system problem, and that she would honor that price. Well, I was thrilled because it saved me $142. The price, however, is still showing on their site. Apparently there is a real problem going on with the system, and it must not be easy to correct.

I do want to say that one other time I had a problem that I was not happy with and refused to be put off by the rep on the phone. I told him I wanted to speak to someone in charge, and he insisted that there was nobody who would talk to me. I did not give up until he said "I'll connect you to the Executive Offices"...I spoke to a very nice woman who, after listening to my story, upgraded me to make up for the error. Problem solved, I was very happy. I was very polite to her, got my point across without making a scene, and I got what I wanted in the end. They really do honor their prices most of the time.

When I said that NCL has poor customer service, it is because of the disregard and disrespect that Harmony treated me with. It was like she was WAY too busy to talk to me and she was trying to get me off the phone as soon as possible. She would not let me talk to anyone else or give me the name of someone I could write to. The other sales people I talked to were very nice and helpful.

Here's what I don't get... you said Harmony treated you with disregard and disrespect, but that the other sales people were nice and helpful, therefore, NCL has poor customer service because ONE person was not to your liking. If more were nice and one was not, how do you then rate ALL of NCL as having poor customer service? ONE person treated you badly.

This is where I see incongruous narrative. I think you are making this a bigger issue than it is. You want something for nothing. You aren't out of pocket, you didn't even have a booking.

Here's what I don't get... you said Harmony treated you with disregard and disrespect, but that the other sales people were nice and helpful, therefore, NCL has poor customer service because ONE person was not to your liking. If more were nice and one was not, how do you then rate ALL of NCL as having poor customer service? ONE person treated you badly.

This is where I see incongruous narrative. I think you are making this a bigger issue than it is. You want something for nothing. You aren't out of pocket, you didn't even have a booking.

Keep in mind Harmony is not even in Customer Service but rather in IT - "Harmony, a manager in Automated Support"

Wow:o The TA was mis-quoted by the supplier and you blame her:confused: Is that why you took your business elsewhere? Even tho you did not expect her to honor it?

Whew.....and people say that this is a "glamorous profession":rolleyes:

(This was in reference to a posting about a TA misquote that happened to me once - NOT the NCL issue being discussed here)

No, it was not the supplier misquote in this case. This was the second time this person misquoted. It was very obvious to me of a "bait and switch" and not a computer problem. She must have thought she was slick, or maybe just stupid. Who knows.

(This was in reference to a posting about a TA misquote that happened to me once - NOT the NCL issue being discussed here)

No, it was not the supplier misquote in this case. This was the second time this person misquoted. It was very obvious to me of a "bait and switch" and not a computer problem. She must have thought she was slick, or maybe just stupid. Who knows.

If this is true then I would report her to the cruise line and if not the owner .........then to the owner. Bait and switch, I believe, is illegal.

Keep in mind Harmony is not even in Customer Service but rather in IT - "Harmony, a manager in Automated Support"

Then the basis for OP's statement is all the more off base. I have always been well-served by NCL (8 cruises) and even when they werent' supposed to help (had a TA) they were gracious enough to answer all my silly questions, i.e., where's the pier, what time this, when that, how much, etc. NCL is very helpful.

Silly - this whole issue is silly.

* When I said that NCL has poor customer service, it is because of the disregard and disrespect that Harmony treated me with. It was like she was WAY too busy to talk to me and she was trying to get me off the phone as soon as possible. She would not let me talk to anyone else or give me the name of someone I could write to. The other sales people I talked to were very nice and helpful. In addition, nobody had put any notes in my history...so the agents had no idea that I had even been talking with Ivy. I think that is very unusual for a company with so many different people who could answer the phone.

I work in a customer service industry as a manager. I personally field many many phone calls as well as face to face with customers all day long. I may have 3 phone calls waiting on me while I am talking to someone. Each person on the phone thinks they are a priority just as the person in front of me. It is clear that you had already been told no many times and Harmony was at the final level to deal with you. I am sure the people below her had already informed her of everything that went on. Unfortunately she probably was to busy to continue to talk to you as she probably had several others on the phone waiting to complain. Many people can't seem to grasp that everyone is in the business to make money, and can not give away the "farm" and expect to stay in business. As far the company having so many people answering the phone, it is a common problem. People get days off, they work shifts, and in a business as big as NCL there are probably lots of people on the phone bank.

Good luck to you and whatever cruise you go on. Just remember to enjoy the cruise and focus on the good and you will be much happier.

Diane

Do you remember when British Air accidentally posted fares at a very low price, something like $50 a flight? Well, they pulled it as soon as they discovered their error, but they honored the flights that were booked already. The taxes were higher than the fares.

The difference is, they were already booked. In this case, the error was corrected prior to booking.

Do you remember when British Air accidentally posted fares at a very low price, something like $50 a flight? Well, they pulled it as soon as they discovered their error, but they honored the flights that were booked already. The taxes were higher than the fares.
The fare in question here was not a bookable fare and no one was booked with this low fare. The price listed in this situation was shown during the booking process but under no circumstances was the fare ever booked or confirmed in any way.

Yes, I have had poor customer service with NCL. It remains to be seen how they will handle our complaints after the cruise. We meet with the travel agent tomorrow and are drafting separate letters.

I'm curious what you expect them to do that would satisfy you since in another thread you said you wouldn't board one of their ships.

-Monte

I'm curious what you expect them to do that would satisfy you since in another thread you said you wouldn't board one of their ships.

-Monte

I am sure he will enjoy his future NCLA cruise credit and be more creative in his smuggling;)

I am sure he will enjoy his future NCLA cruise credit and be more creative in his smuggling;)

Thanks shoreguy. I had been trying to figure out what his "well documented" problems were and now I understand. I guess I must've missed some now deleted posts. ;)

-Monte

Archived