What Nationalities are the Cruisers?

chlo

Hi, I am thinking of doing a cruise to Mexico. As I am not from America, will I be the only 'foreigner' onboard?

Also we are not accustomed to tipping - is there a standard percentage you tip taxi drivers and the like?

Thanks

Hi, I am thinking of doing a cruise to Mexico. As I am not from America, will I be the only 'foreigner' onboard?

Also we are not accustomed to tipping - is there a standard percentage you tip taxi drivers and the like?

Thanks

You'll probably find that 90-95% of the other pax on your HAL Mexico cruise will be US Citizens - with the majority of non-US Citizens being Canadians and or Brits.

The lines that would have a greater number of non-US citizens on West Coast itineraries would be P&O and Princess - with a greater Brit/Canadian/Aussie presence.

Non-English speaking cruisers will typically go for Costa and MSC, although (to my knowledge) neither have West Coast itineraries yet.

Well I would suspect most cruisers would be Americans on cruises to the Carribbean, Alaska and Mexico. However, there are almost always some other nationalities that you will find including Canadians, Asians and Europeans. Being Canadian myself I have always managed to notice a few non-Americans on my cruises. Where are you from?

As for tipping, I'll leave it to my fellow American board members but I suspect most services that are tipped are usually in the 10-15% range. In Canada, its very similar.

Travelbug66 could be right. If there is one nationality that strikes me as "world explorers" and "adventurers" its the Australians. I have ran into so many that tell me that they are traveling the world. Alaska is definitely a wilderness tourist magnet and thus I can understand the crowd there. Mexico is a whole different ball game.

Thanks - I am actually from New Zealand. The reason I was looking at this cruise is that I had a P&O cruise to Fiji booked (3 star). I had a look at the ship when she was in port recently and immediately cancelled!!! For the same money as an 8 day cruise from my home port, I can fly to the US and go on a 5 star cruise - wow!!!

Hi Chlo,

And welcome to the board. You most definitely will not be the only "foreigner" on board, believe me, and you will be most welcome.

As mentioned before, the majority of the passengers will be Americans and Canadians. Of course, there are many Americans and Canadians who are naturalized citizens. I, for one, am originally a Brit; my friend Lana is from Russia; my friend Sue is originally a Kiwi and my friend Carol is originally a Canuck. I have a whole lot of other American friends who hail from places like Iran, Australia and Ireland, just to mention a few other countries.

I happen to love New Zealand and her people and tell that to everyone any chance I get. Kiwis are, quite frankly, the kindest, most generous and polite people I have ever met in my life. That said, you will find most Americans (and certainly almost all Canadians - the second nicest people in the world) to be very welcoming.

Tipping is such a hard thing to figure out. It is the custom in our country, and the idea has spread south to Mexico. Generally, I think, we would tip about 10%-15% for lunch, 15%-20% for dinner (depending on the service received) and as for Taxis/Cabs - I'm guessing that 10% would be the norm. I rarely, if ever, take cabs so I'm not a good barometer there.

Anyway, I hope that this has been of some help to you. Enjoy your cruise.

Valerie :)

I am from montreal canada, I have met germans,british.french

and many other nationalities.I have found that people who

love cruising all get along quite well on board. Too bad the rest

of the world is not like that

WESTERNDAM NOV12 2006:D

I'm not sure about Mexico. I just returned from my Alaskan cruise and there were Aussies, Puerto Ricans and Japanese cruisers - those were just the ones I spoke with.

Puerto Ricans are Americans!

No they aren`t, and don`t tell them they are!! PR is an American protectorate,or territory, like Samoa or Guam, but they are distinctly Puerto Ricans. That is like saying people form Monseratt or Bermuda are British!

Valerie, I couldn`t have said it better, maybe it`s because we are both ex-pat Brits! I also love people from En Zed, and Canada............jean:cool:

No they aren`t, and don`t tell them they are!! PR is an American protectorate,or territory, like Samoa or Guam, but they are distinctly Puerto Ricans. That is like saying people form Monseratt or Bermuda are British!

Valerie, I couldn`t have said it better, maybe it`s because we are both ex-pat Brits! I also love people from En Zed, and Canada............jean:cool:

Just like the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish are English, right? ;)

Just like the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish are English, right? ;)

Oh John, you sly Devil you (:) ):

You certainly know how to stir up the pot. I am a very proud U.S. citizen, but a Scot by birth.

Being a Scot by birth means that I am a Scot - I'll accept Scots, since that too is correct - but by no stretch of the imagination am I Scotch - that's what I drink (Someone has to support The Home Industries;) ).

Since I am from "north of the border" that also means that I am most definitely NOT English - no it is not the same thing at all! The U.K. is comprised of four (count them - 4) separate countries with their own languages, customs, laws and now pretty much their own Parliaments.

I was raised pretty much in England and in fact I "really, really like them" (to somewhat misquote Sally Field) but the fact remains that I am an American, of Scottish birth.

That said, I am a U.S. citizen first and foremost and consider myself truly truly fortunate to be one. I still cherish my Scottish heritage and my mostly English (on the Welsh borders) upbringing though. Just to round everything out I had a Welsh grandfather (whom I adored) and I spent about 2-1/2 years living in Ulster (Northern Ireland) courtesy of the RAF when I was a little girl.

Valerie:D

For all those who have been totally bored out of their minds by this posting, please accept my most abject apologies and.............. Now back to your regularly scheduled programs:

Vee:cool:

Just doing a little stirring,Val - My (former) BIL is a Scot, fiercely proud and a Celtic fan!

RAF Aldergrove?

Well, that makes two of us (former BIL and I :D ).

Yes, indeed RAF Aldergrove, County Antrim. I was really a little girl way back then but I still remember going to school at Killeed (nearest village) and going to the dentist (ouch) in Crumlin (nearest "large" town:rolleyes: ). We used to go to Ballymena occasionally at the weekends (Ballymena now being known as the birthplace of Liam Neeson;) ).

I bet that you even know that when I was growing up in Gloucestershire my dad was stationed at RAF Innsworth. I drove past there just a couple of weeks ago and the old place is looking really, really nice and far more polished than it was when we were stationed there.

Valerie:)

And some americans still feel a little dutch, right John?

2-1 yesterdaynight, no good play, but the men tell me only result is important.

Yes, sometimes there are even people from Holland on board Holland...

We were on the Oosterdam on the Mexico cruise in January. I guess 95% of the cruisers were americans. All the non US citizens got to meet each other at a special "party" organised by the immigration department!!

The "party" was at 05.30am ish on the day we got back into San Diego due to the fact we were re-entering the US. We were all stood there in a long line waiting for the immigration people who were 45 mins late. My advice is have your breakfast first, then go down to for the immigration checks - if you are too late and they won't let you off you will have another cruise courtesy of HAL!!! - I must try that next time.

You see people claiming the various merits of cruise lines, but I was impressed with HAL for one small but thoughtful detail. You probably know that all passengers get an abreviated copy of the NY Times (I think) each morning. One day on the cruise it was a copy of The Times (UK newspaper), to me that shows HAL knew I was a Brit and somebody went to the trouble to personalise MY cruising experience.

Regards

I don't know whether or not people from Puerto Rico consider themselves American, but they are in fact American citizens. I thought the issue in the post was not ethnicity but country of origin which to me means citizenship. I think we concentrate too much on ______ hyphenated American to define people, that's not the same thing, and yes, people should be proud of their heritage, but If we're talking citizenship why can't we just say we're Americans?

GN

I am also from Canada .The same thing happen to me on the Ryndam april 2,

I was recieving the NY times and I day they started to send me

a Canadian version of the news each day.That was very nice HAL

to do that .

WESTERDAM NOV. 12

I don't know whether or not people from Puerto Rico consider themselves American, but they are in fact American citizens. I thought the issue in the post was not ethnicity but country of origin which to me means citizenship. I think we concentrate too much on ______ hyphenated American to define people, that's not the same thing, and yes, people should be proud of their heritage, but If we're talking citizenship why can't we just say we're Americans?

GN

Indeed grannynurse, Puerto Ricans are considered to be American citizens(whether they like it or not:D ). However, the most important difference is that they cannot vote in U.S. elections. This makes them equivalent to the status of (legal) Green Card holders, who are eligible for all the benefits of U.S. citizenship (including the "benefit" of having to pay for all those benefits;) ) but cannot vote.

I don't think that the Puerto Ricans have to pay for these benefits, since they are a U.S. Protectorate, but believe me the Green Card holders do have to cough up their share. I'm not complaining at all because all that money I paid into Social Security even before I became a U.S. citizen is now coming back to me every month in the form of a very nice check.

Gee, I really really love this country!

Valerie

p.s. by the way - I am most definitely an American citizen, and happy and proud to be one. I am a Scot by birth but I don't consider myself Scottish-American - I am simply, and happily, a proud American citizen.

Thanks - I am actually from New Zealand. The reason I was looking at this cruise is that I had a P&O cruise to Fiji booked (3 star). I had a look at the ship when she was in port recently and immediately cancelled!!! For the same money as an 8 day cruise from my home port, I can fly to the US and go on a 5 star cruise - wow!!!

Chlo,

As you can see by my C.C. name we are "cousins" - actually I have relatives who come from N.Z. - and we have travelled extensively on HAL and Princess. I am not at all fond of P&O Aust. and try not to cruise with them, though we are doing a quickie cruise with them in January on the Pacific Princess.

We enjoy our cruising on HAL. It is certainly many notches above P&O - especially the cruises that sail out of Sydney during the year. You will be made very welcome as the majority of passengers are U.S. citizens and Canadians and are very friendly.

HAL have started to distribute each day to Australians on board a copy of the news from around Australia which is fantastic, especially if you follow sport as my husband does. :)

Like you, we do not tip at home but we do follow the guidelines whilst on board and it is now made a lot easier by the fact that $10US is taken from each of our accounts each day which goes towards tips for the crew.

I am sure if you book a HAL or Princess cruise you will enjoy your time on board. ;)

Jennie

And some americans still feel a little dutch, right John?

2-1 yesterdaynight, no good play, but the men tell me only result is important.

Yes, sometimes there are even people from Holland on board Holland...

You already know the answer to that one, Ine! ;)

Wasn't real pretty in the 2nd half but we're in the round of sixteen and sixteen other teams can't say that! Go Holland! Go Dutchies!

(Ine check out http://www.telesport.nl/ en "reakties")

When did this individual national news service start? I'm Canadian and don't remember receiving any Canadian news each morning on my cruise last fall? Not that I was ever expecting it. I just was not aware they were doing such a thing?

Its a nice service though. I must admit that when my partner and I travel we found we really miss news from back home when we are away longer than a few days. At least with the internet we are able to check out the papers back home.

They have had Canadian daily news for quite some time. If you do not receive it on your next cruise, ask at the office. It probably was an oversight they missed delivering it to your cabin.

Archived