Wow, got my docs 6 weeks before sailing

lardan

Let the excitement begin!!! Had dinner with my sister-in-law/travel agent tonight, and she presented me with my documents for my July 28 Alaskan cruise. Woohoo!!! After reading all the horror stories of late docs, I was concerned; but fear not.

My only concern is they only gave me 2 luggage tags. We will have at least 3 bags that need to be checked. Should I call ship services to get more tags, or can I pick up a luggage tag or two once I get to the ship.

Let the dancing begin!!

Hi Lardan!

Miracles happen! I was just like you...concerned about all the postings about no docs. We got ours 6 weeks out as well!

There's plenty of time to get more tags from HAL, but it's best to let your TA/SIL call. You can get them at the pier, though. But then you have to stand there and fill them out. If you can't get more before you go, put the ship's tags on the most needed pieces. Sometimes the airlines actually realize that the bags with ship tags need to get to where they are going!

As the Expedia ad says, "Enjoy getting ready!" Six weeks to go!

I wouldn't put my cruise tags on luggage until after I had them picked up after my flight. It only affords the opportunity for them to be ripped off and lost. I doubt that the ailrlines give any kind of priority to luggage that has a cruise line tag on it.

My Alaska cruise documents instruct that if you have HAL transfers you should place your tags before flying, and if you are on your own you should wait until you claim your luggage.

That's because your luggage will be pulled for you if you have a transfer---the tag is the tip-off.

This is for a Vancouver sailing.

My Alaska cruise documents instruct that if you have HAL transfers you should place your tags before flying, and if you are on your own you should wait until you claim your luggage.

That's because your luggage will be pulled for you if you have a transfer---the tag is the tip-off.

This is for a Vancouver sailing.

I didn't realize they still did that (never fly in the day of the cruise any more). Used to be you could tag your luggage, check it and it would show up at your cabin.

In several years of flying to cruise ports, I have never had a HAL luggage tag go missing. Some airports pull them for you, some do not. I know Vancouver does for sure...Seattle and Anchorage do not. Must be because of Customs that Vancouver pulls and puts them right on the truck.

I didn't realize they still did that (never fly in the day of the cruise any more). Used to be you could tag your luggage, check it and it would show up at your cabin.

Yeah, I was surprised, too. Maybe it has something to so with that "? direct" program? I don't know. I do know that I'm glad I'm coming in the day before the cruise, and that I'm on my own as far as HAL and getting to the ship goes. I always want to pull my own luggage just to be sure the luggage and I arrived in the same city at the same time. :rolleyes:

Archived