Overnight in Port

bjfp

My experience has been that you may return to the ship at any time you like. The ship's security personnel will be on the gangway all throughout the night. There might be an exception in the case of a ship at anchor rather than tethered to a dock. In this case you will be at the mercy of when the last tender of the night departs shore for the ship. And in an instance such as Venice, sometimes the cruise line offers transfer service for it's passengers between say Piazza San Marco to the pier. They usually discontinue the service at some point in the night; but you can still provide your own transport to the cruise terminal & board when you wish. As I said, this has been my experience. I'm sure if this is not always the case, others will chime in.

That was my experience, too - you could come back any time. However, in Cadiz (wonderful town), they close up all but one gate into the port, and I had to walk around the port to get in. It looked like there was no way in, but I kept walking until I found the one open gate! It was a tiny bit scary, especially since I was alone and this was around 10 at night. I could see the Regatta - I just couldn't get to it!

Archived