How early to get to pier in NJ?

Big question? What time would be good to get to the NJ pier for sailing on the Explorer? I have heard that people sometimes can board as early as 11:00, but honestly, what seems to be a good average time? I just really don't want to be sitting there at the pier for 3 hours either with 4 kids. I know there is no guarantee, and I would love to board the earlier the better, but I would like to hear from experienced cruisers what time they usually get there. Thanks!!!!!:)

Big question? What time would be good to get to the NJ pier for sailing on the Explorer? I have heard that people sometimes can board as early as 11:00, but honestly, what seems to be a good average time? I just really don't want to be sitting there at the pier for 3 hours either with 4 kids. I know there is no guarantee, and I would love to board the earlier the better, but I would like to hear from experienced cruisers what time they usually get there. Thanks!!!!!:)

We've sailed out of Bayonne twice. If you get there about noon you beat the crowds and will be on the ship by 1pm. Then a leisurely lunch at Windjammer and a dip in the pool before anyone else. IT starts the vacation all that much earlier! We have two kids too, and were worried that we'd be waiting in a lounge for a long time, too. Not to worry. As Smeyer said, don't get there too much before noon - as many times folks are still getting off. Then you will wait.

We've sailed out of Bayonne twice. If you get there about noon you beat the crowds and will be on the ship by 1pm. Then a leisurely lunch at Windjammer and a dip in the pool before anyone else. IT starts the vacation all that much earlier! We have two kids too, and were worried that we'd be waiting in a lounge for a long time, too. Not to worry. As Smeyer said, don't get there too much before noon - as many times folks are still getting off. Then you will wait.
If you get there at 11, you'll be on by 12. Done it twice.

On May 28th took cab from hotel by EWR at 10:30...pulled up to curb to drop bags by 11 (lots of traffic in and out and it all goes the same way). Checked in, security, security photo, boarding photo, chair and lemonade by 11:30. Weddings boarded at noon, We had bus ticket #2. Called as 12:20. On ship, dropping bag in cabin, changed table, took a couple pix and in WJ for lunch before 1PM.

Waited less than one hour. Works for me

We've sailed out of Bayone two times, both with 5 PM departures. The first, we arrived at port 12 PM. No lines, took a total of 20 minutes from checking bag to being on ship. Last year, our limo ran late and we got to port at 1:00 PM. What a difference. We were in line for a good 45 minutes, standing room on bus, not much fun. This year, we are shooting for 11:30 on the EOS. And, by the way, the facilities after check in at port are not bad at all. Lots of cookies! I love the cookies!

Archived