Would you do the Tulum excursion again???

JulieandPaul

Hi everyone. We will be first time visitors to Cozumel. We wanted to take the Tulum excursion, but the CC stories have given us second thoughts. It sounds like most of your day is spent on getting to/from Tulum and then you have very little time to spend at the ruins. Did you feel like that long drive was worth it for the time allotted at the ruins? Did you feel like the time at the ruins was sufficient? Thanks for your feedback.

I went to tulum when we docked at calica so it was not a long ride. The ruins are beautiful and if you like history i guess it would be worth it. I, would not go there again. There are so many cool things to do in cozumel that i would not waist my time on a bus to tulum, but the ruins were just not my thing, i only went because the people i was with were all doing it. I am more if a beach person.:)

Sure.

Since we couldn't go to Chitzen Itza, we would do Tulum again I would take more photos first and swim more at the beach by the ruins. I would breakaway from the guided portion of the tour to spend my time shooting and swimming.

Photocruiser

No... I wouldn't do it again. I was excited to see the ruins, but it turned into an "all day" event with just about an hour or two of looking at the ruins, and to boot, we were required to stay with the tour guide, so didnt really get to explore or look around or do anything at our own pace. As mentioned there are lots of other things to do in Cozumel and I really wish we would've decided to do something else besides the ruins!

We loved Tulum, even though it was an all-day excursion that didn't leave you time for much else. Ours did include about an hour in Playa del Carmen where you could shop, and it is still our favorite port for shopping. If I hadn't been before it would be my first choice for an excursion in Cozumel.

My DH and I, however, aren't big beach or snorkeling people. If you really enjoy those activities, you might be more satisfied with a different excursion. We really enjoy the ruins -- we've been to Tulum, along with Lamanai and Altun Ha in Belize and are hoping to get to Chitzen Itza sometime in the future.

We did a ship's tour which tendered us directly to Playa del Carment where we boarded the bus to Tulum. We made one pit stop on the way but had more than enough time at the ruins. If you are interested in a country's history and culture and have never seen excavated Mayan ruins, this is a great tour. We were tendered into downtown San Miguel on the return so had some time for shopping too.

Bon Voyage

We've been to Tulum twice. Went the 2nd time because the couple we were traveling with hadn't been. It is an all day trip but we think it is well worth seeing. Also has a beautiful beach. We won't go a third time, but should be seen once. We're from Louisiana & used to hot, humid weather, but it is very hot at Tulum. Bring a hat! There is a shopping center with small restaurants. We're beach people so go to Mr. Sanchos (before Wilma) & Paradise Beach (after Wilma) in Cozumel.

We had such a great tour guide that I would probably go again. We took a tender to Playa de Carmen and then loaded a bus to Tulum - we spent most of the time at the ruins with the group but also had about 45 minutes to look around on our own. I would have liked more time on our own. The information the guide gave us was great - he was so knowledgable. Because the ship was in Cozumel until 11 p.m. we had plenty of time to go into San Migel, shop, etc.

I enjoyed seeing the ruins. As long as you don't mind the parts of the tour that are extremely tourist-trappy, you'll have a good time. The guide on the bus to the ruins had some good historical information, but it got really annoying when he went on and on about this $30 "family history" thing that he went way overboard trying to sell to people. Once we got in to see the ruins it became obvious he was trying to keep us all together because Royal Caribbean had sent a photographer with us. I realized this when he kept talking and not moving closer to the sights, suggested we hang around under this tree so they could get pictures. NO WAY. We weren't going to let them waste our time(there were alot of people!)-we left and walked around on our own and had a great time. Just be mindful of when the bus leaves from the lot. There is a tram that costs extra that goes from the bus lot to the ruins entrance-if you tire easily, take the tram, if you are pretty sturdy, it's about a 15 minute walk.

Archived