First Cruise - Captain's Cocktail Party?

New-here

This is my first cruise, so I have a lot of questions. My first one is (in many parts):

I was told by a friend that cruises a lot that on one of the first nights, the Captain throws a cocktail party, and all drinks are free. Is this true? When is it? Can people who have never cruised before go, or is it only for previous guests? Is it different from the Champagne waterfall, and if it is different, do we get complimentary drinks there, too? I'm going to be on the Sun Princess 7-day to Alaska, if that makes a difference.

Any help is appreciated. It's not a deal breaker either way, but I'd hate to miss it if it is available.

THANKS!!!!

The Captain’s Welcome Aboard Party is held the first formal night of the cruise in the atrium area and is for all passengers. You are given a party time according to your dinner seating, and if in Anytime, you can go Anytime. Drinks and canapés are gratis. It will be announced in the day's Patter so you'll know when it is.

The Champagne Waterfall is held the last formal night of the cruise in the atrium. Champagne is served gratis as are finger desserts.

If you’ve cruised on Princess before, you will be invited to a special Captain’s Circle party, which is held the second formal night of the cruise. Entry is by invitation only.

The Captian's cocktail party is USUALLY on the first formal night. The drinks they pass out are USUALLY Screwdrivers, Manhattans and Martinis, plus someone is walking around with trays of different Canapes'.

The Champagne Waterfall is USUALLY on the second formal night and that starts around 11:30 P.M. At that they only pass out champagne.

This is what's done on the Caribbean & Mexican Riviera intineraries. Not sure if it is different for the Alaska trip.

I put USUALLY in there alot because things do vary from ship-to-ship. Hope this helps.

.........................Joe

PS. After your first Princess cruise, you will become a member of the Captian's Circle Club which will get you automatically invited to the Captian's Circle Party starting with your next cruise. This is different from the other party.

Thanks BD....You were sending while I was typing. Looks like I'll have to learn to type faster:D

Can I make a couple of additions to your post? If offered one of the drinks on the trays at the cocktail parties and they are not to your liking, ask for what is. The steward will go and get what you want. I drink scotch and they don’t offer it, but they always get it for me. The trick is once you ask for it to be patient (it’s outside the regular process) and stay in the same spot so the steward can find you when the drink is brought back.

I mentioned that the Champagne Waterfall is the last formal night because it is – if the cruise has more than two formal nights, the second formal evening doesn’t have the waterfall.

A "trick" that I use is to stick with wines and champagnes, rather than mixed drinks that are usually watered down. I did get a very nice martini made to order at the Captain's Circle Party on the CB, but at the Captain's Cocktail party it has been my experience that the drinks are pretty weak.

We snuck into the Captain's Circle Party on our CB cruise. We met this nice older couple during afternoon tea and they insisted that we go in with them. Come to find out, we should have been invited anyway because we had been past Carnival cruisers. So much for being sneaky!

Maria

Come to find out, we should have been invited anyway because we had been past Carnival cruisers. So much for being sneaky!

Maria

Past Carnival cruises do not count toward Captain’s Circle membership. Past Carnival cruises do allow one to receive past-passenger cruise fare discounts.

If offered one of the drinks on the trays at the cocktail parties and they are not to your liking, ask for what is. The steward will go and get what you want. I drink scotch and they don’t offer it, but they always get it for me. The trick is once you ask for it to be patient (it’s outside the regular process) and stay in the same spot so the steward can find you when the drink is brought back.

If you would like a beer, they will bring a glass of Budweiser or other from their standard domestic beer list...in other words, I suggest you get the scotch..:D

On our last two Princess cruises (both on CB), we didn't get any of the complimentary canapes because we arrived at the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party near the conclusion of the event. If you want to enjoy some of the free offerings, be sure to arrive right at the beginning or you'll miss out. DH and I are strictly wine drinkers and have always been able to get a glass of wine or two during the cocktail party.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Hi, Brian,

I asked for a Grey Goose and was told that I could only select from the tray. Next time, I'll be wearing my Black Card.

Do you think that will make a difference?

Usually, crew are impressed with it. ;)

I don’t think the black card has anything to do with it – I’ve been asking since before I had a black card and I don’t carry it in plain sight to the cocktail parties. I don’t, however, ask for a “call” scotch. I used to work in a bar and whenever we had give-aways, high end call liquors weren’t included…so maybe I’m trained that way. The house (or ship) scotch isn’t what I normally drink, but it does fine for one at the party.

Hi, Brian,

I asked for a Grey Goose and was told that I could only select from the tray. Next time, I'll be wearing my Black Card.

Do you think that will make a difference?

Usually, crew are impressed with it. ;)

The waiters generally must get clearance from the Bar Manager...ask the waiter to identify him to you..go and ask him politely with your black card displayed on your lanyard...asking has worked for me at times, and I'm just an average looking male, without a black card when I wanted a premium beer. :)

The OP made the comment 'so much to keep track of'.

My parents were both retired school (university and high school) teachers. We traveled once with retired friends who were also former teachers. From that cruise onward I learned to bring multiple yellow highlighters for marking up the Patter. Then you would carry the patter with the items highlighted that you wanted to attend (or as my step-father did he transferred 'things to do' to a separate list).

You will also want to take note of the 'repeat' cruisers near your cabin! The name-tag on the cabin number/mail holder indicates the color of the cruiser in that cabin. I think Blue is the color of first time Princess cruises... Gold 2-5 cruises .. Platinum 6-14 cruises and then Black (I think) the Elite 15+ members. I like to do this as walk thru the hallways and look at the door decorations (happy aniversary . happy birthday) and compare that with the 'level' of the cruiser! Makes a bit of a game going to my cabin!

I always ask for scotch at the events ..tho normally they only will bring bar scotch (I have asked for a specific brand and was told NO).

BTW .. for your second and additional cruises ... the Captains Circle party is held in the larger ballroom space where the staff meeting and greet you. The atrium space for the general reception is pretty lame in MHO in that the Captain is on a balcony overlooking the group (by the elevators typically) when making his welcome speach. The shops may have good out in the atrium that you have to navigate around and the photo-people have several prime locations roped off for their taking of 'formal' pictures.

Compared to what Cunard (QM2) did for the Welcome Reception (in the grand ballroom with all the officers in attendance and a formal receiving line to get your photo with the Captain) .. Princess is more of a marketing tool. Here is the Captain .. here is a free drink .. look at the wonderful atrium with all the pretty people .. then go away and go to dinner.

In any case, enjoy your first cruise!

Archived