Taking Prescription Medications on Ship

HR Girl

Does anyone know if you need to take your precription medications in their original containers or can you take a week's worth in smaller unlabeled containers. I get 90-day mail prescriptions through my health plan, and the thought of having to bring the larger bottles on board because they are appropriately labeled is very cumbersome.

I'd like to be able to take my weekly supply (plus 2-3 day's more in case of emergency) in one of those Monday-Friday separators if possible but don't know if this is acceptable.

Thanks, Arlyne :)

Does anyone know if you need to take your precription medications in their original containers or can you take a week's worth in smaller unlabeled containers. I get 90-day mail prescriptions through my health plan, and the thought of having to bring the larger bottles on board because they are appropriately labeled is very cumbersome.

I'd like to be able to take my weekly supply (plus 2-3 day's more in case of emergency) in one of those Monday-Friday separators if possible but don't know if this is acceptable.

Thanks, Arlyne :)

..it is not the case of taking them on to the ship....but it is the case of getting off the ship at the end of the cruise.....customs, if they found pills might want to know what they are....and a prescription is the answer to that. If you are only taking on board what you need, then you will not have much or any to take back into the country at the end.

I have always carried my week or two week supply in a smaller unlabeled container. I also take the numbers with me in case I have an emergency and would need to get some more. I have never had anyone check the medication at an airport or cruise terminal.

Thanks so much for your quick responses. It makes sense that I will have used the medications by the end of the cruise so I won't have anything left for customs to question.

Thanks, Arlyne

i havent had any problems at airport or thru customs they never asked so...,even had to get some pain meds from doc onboard,and no problems,he fixed me up,and we were on our way:))));) ,so you should be fine....no worries:)):p

Thanks so much for your quick responses. It makes sense that I will have used the medications by the end of the cruise so I won't have anything left for customs to question.

Thanks, Arlyne

I always take along a couple of days' extra meds; you never know if you might be delayed. Customs won't be asking you about a couple of days worth of meds.

I was looking at the US Customs site about this, and there seems to be lots of concern about people buying large quantities of meds overseas. Regardless of how you feel about this political issue, it seems customs is on the look out. I'm bringing my labeled bottles along. Maybe I'm overreacting, but with all the worldwide security concerns, I can no longer trust in security personnel to be reasonable.

Although I only take two prescription meds, I take a lot of individual vitamins that my doctor recommends. Whenever I travel, I have the doctor's office print out copies of the prescriptions and a list of the others and send me a signed copy. I keep the signed one with my daily pill box, and a copy with my other papers in case I need to replace something. The original bottles would take up way too much room in my carryon.

I always bring my prescription medication in those daily separators and have had no problems. Just carry them with you in case you lose your luggage. If you have it, bring the prescription information sheet that usually is included with your prescription. It will have all your information on it.

You are standing to close to the question. Here in California, it is illegal to have prescription drugs on you WITHOUT the original bottle with doctor’s name. No idea about other states.

I’m not saying some speed trap cop outside of Gilroy is going to arrest you for having three blood pressure pills in your pocket, but he CAN. There are Federal laws AND State laws to consider. Anyone dumb enough to pick up drugs in Mexico should be aware of this. That is in addition to the problem of knock-off drugs.

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

I just took out all the extra other than what was needed (+ 2-3 days worth) and took the original bottles. I asked my Dr. if she should write out the RX's and she said as long as they are not controlled substances they would be fine. I also believe that if they can see that it is just enough for personal use, there should be no problem. Err on caution side though if you feel safer, that is what I did. When the nurse came to the room to treat my fiancee for the norovirus he contracted from someone, she snickered at my "suitcase pharmacy" but I brought everything I could thing we would possibly need. It sure helped. The one thing I would make sure to let the ship Dr. know is if you carry an epipen, just in case you get stung, they will know what to do for you!!!!! I never knew, until taking the snorkleling adventure in Alaska that if a jellyfish stings you, it has the same reaction. I carried mine with me at all times!

One thing the clerk at our HMO pharmacy told me when I mentioned that we were going on a cruise was that he had had patients who had taken asthma inhalers on shore in the Caribbean, had had trouble with them since they weren't labelled DIRECTLY on the medication can (rather than the box or dispenser) so he said that in order to remedy that problem, they were printing an extra label on request so the patient could attach it to the can. They did this for me so that I could take a smaller jar in my purse. This was a cream for insect bites.

You are standing to close to the question. Here in California, it is illegal to have prescription drugs on you WITHOUT the original bottle with doctor’s name. No idea about other states.

I’m not saying some speed trap cop outside of Gilroy is going to arrest you for having three blood pressure pills in your pocket, but he CAN. There are Federal laws AND State laws to consider. Anyone dumb enough to pick up drugs in Mexico should be aware of this. That is in addition to the problem of knock-off drugs.

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

Wow.. . .I never knew that Calif had a law like that. Can you give me the reference? I'd like to show my husband as he carries his daily prescription drugs to work with him without the prescription bottles.

It's a good idea to have the original container which has all the contact info on it as well as the dosage and name of drug and it's size. Depending on your medical condition you might not be able to speak for yourself and the medical staff will be informed as to what you take etc.

>>>Wow.. . .I never knew that Calif had a law like that. Can you give me the reference? I'd like to show my husband as he carries his daily prescription drugs to work with him without the prescription bottles.

Don't have a set of codebooks at my fingertips, been over 20 years since I needed to know the actual code numbers. Don’t worry, this is a tool used against illegal possession of “drugs” not medicine. Street cops are only looking for drugs, and they know what they look like. Now if your husband using medical Marijuana or Cocaine, that’s another story.

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

Although perhaps bulkier, I take the medicines in their pharmacy packing/bottles, with prescription info sheet attached. I pack them in my carry-on, and to date have not had any problems.

I prefer not to run afoul of any laws/regulations while travelling.

I never take the full bottle, if it is a "narcotic", you can always just take a copy label. My pharmacy alwas gives us a receipt copy. You may want to take a couple extra days supply, you never know.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. an example to close the subject. Today, 6/26/2006, talk show host Rush Limbaugh was detained today at Miami airport for having prescription drugs in his luggage. Limbaugh was carrying the drugs in a bottle without his name and after further investigation; it was found he had no prescription for the drug. Although these were arrest able offensives, Limbaugh was let go after a three hour hold.

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

What about taking them into other countries? I leave for London on Friday and I always use the divided containers for my meds. Nothing that is a controlled substance, just normal "old lady" stuff. I'd hate to have them confiscated in London.

Archived