Regal

wilber1

I’m not Pam, but I would say yes – the ship rides very well. We had a rough night coming out of Costa Rica during the reposition and Regal Princess handled it like the lady she is.

I'm also not Pam but I have to agree that the Regal takes the waves better than most. We did the 10 nights out of SFO and the first couple of nights were bumpy but we didn't have a problem. I will admit that some people did get seasick but they probably would have done that on any ship. I've also had the experience of having folks complain about how rough it was and I didn't think it was that way at all.

Yes, Regal does ride better than some of the larger, newer ships.

Draft of the hull is part of the equation, but also what naval architects refer as "fineness of hull", which factors in the length/breadth ratio as well.

Grand class and her sister (including modified Grand class) are very beamy, and are relatively flat-bottomed (to reduce draft). Due to their mass, they are very much affected by wind abeam also.

The former Royal Princess, now P&O's Artemis, was a very good rider in heavy seas, in my opinion more stable than Regal Princess in similar sea states.

wilber

cflutist has it right. 1st sea day is a full day at sea.

The day you leave San Francisco is not considered a sea day, but day of embarkation.

Keep asking away - we'll try to continue helping you out.

Pam in MA, would you not say the Regal sails better in rough seas than the newer ships? It has the cut of a ocean going vessel and while the newer ships go on the ocean they are not meant to be ocean crossing cruises, although they do that. Regal is more V bottom and the newer ships are flatter bottom to gain more space. The V bottom cuts the waves smoother.
Fred, yes. The newer, larger ships are designed with wide flat bottoms and can really bounce around in any kind of seas. The Regal, being an older design, cuts through the seas better.

Does anyone know about the Bistro food, talked to a lady who came off the Regal a couple of weeks ago and said all they had was Asian food in the Bistro and alot of people complained about it. Other then that she said ship was good. And yes Wilber you tip room service with cash. And do you have your cruise docs.

Does anyone know about the Bistro food, talked to a lady who came off the Regal a couple of weeks ago and said all they had was Asian food in the Bistro and alot of people complained about it. Other then that she said ship was good. And yes Wilber you tip room service with cash. And do you have your cruise docs.
I’ve not eaten at the Bistro, but I don’t think they have ANY Asian food on the menu – so not sure where this person was really eating. Check post number 25 on this thread. SharkieRools has posted a link to the Bistro menu there. When you get to the picture, click on it to resize it so it's readable.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=361733

We were on the first Alaskan voyage this year of Regal; we enjoyed the Bisto very, very much. The captain was dining right across from us and the menu was wonderful; service very personalized and food excellent.......................no asian food I read about!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sailinsal

Can anyone tell me where I can find recent reviews of the Regal Princess? I tried using the search to no avail. I would love to find out more info on this ship.

I was excited to find out that in July 2007, it will go to Hawaii. In the summer, I usually only see NCL go there. I am a teacher so this would be a great opportunity and it leaves from Los Angeles. Are the waves rough doing this route in July ?

Any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Rabbitlady:)

Brian,

Do you know when the Regal is supposed to leave the fleet?? I see she is sailing all next summer our of LA to hawaii.

Ed

Hi Ed - the quote above is correct. I think she's heading for Australia in September. There's a Los Angeles to Sydney cruise on her (I think) which would be her last cruise for Princess.

Can anyone tell me where I can find recent reviews of the Regal Princess? I tried using the search to no avail. I would love to find out more info on this ship.

I was excited to find out that in July 2007, it will go to Hawaii. In the summer, I usually only see NCL go there. I am a teacher so this would be a great opportunity and it leaves from Los Angeles. Are the waves rough doing this route in July ?

Any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Rabbitlady:)

Check out the reviews there is a new one from a Regal cruise to Alaska.

Archived