Cuban Cigars

I am posting for DH.:rolleyes:

He would like to know approx. prices of Cuban Cigars on the Valor.

( I guess it does not matter what ships really, probably similar in cost)

Anyway, BIG cigar lover when he can:rolleyes: ,so can anyone help him?

Also can you buy them in port too?

We will be on Eastern route.

Thanks everyone;) !

You will not find any products made in Cuba on offer on the ship. It is illegal for an American to buy these products.

You will find Cuban cigars for sale in the ports you visit. Your husband will need to do his homework to spot real from fake.

If you search this forum for "cuban cigars" you will find a wealth of information on the topic.

Happy sails! :)

Americans can buy cubans as long as they are not in the U.S. It is completely legal to buy them and possess them as long as you are not on american soil. There are many good places to buy them - which ports are you going to?

Americans can buy cubans as long as they are not in the U.S. It is completely legal to buy them and possess them as long as you are not on american soil. There are many good places to buy them - which ports are you going to?

While the chances of facing any legal problems are smaller than the chances of your booze being confiscated from your checked luggage, you are wrong. It is illegal:

Under the Regulations, "property" includes but is not limited to contracts and services. For example, unless otherwise authorized, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction (including U.S. overseas subsidiaries) may not purchase Cuban cigars in Mexico;

http://www.treasury.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.pdf

On your trip you can only buy Cuban cigars in St Marten & Nassau. Counterfeiting is a seriious problem throughout the Caribbean, so be VERY careful where you buy them. Over the years I have been ripped off several times when what I thought were Cuban cigars turned out to be counterfeits. The labels and boxes looked like the genuine article, but they smoked like cr-p. So now I only buy from a cigar store with the designation "Casa De Habanos". There is one of these stores on the main drag in St Marten.

On your trip you can only buy Cuban cigars in St Marten & Nassau. Counterfeiting is a seriious problem throughout the Caribbean, so be VERY careful where you buy them. Over the years I have been ripped off several times when what I thought were Cuban cigars turned out to be counterfeits. The labels and boxes looked like the genuine article, but they smoked like cr-p. So now I only buy from a cigar store with the designation "Casa De Habanos". There is one of these stores on the main drag in St Marten.

Where do you see or find out if the store has the designation?

Is there a sign in the window or something?

Also, does anybody know a shop in Nassau that they have gotten legit Cubans at before?

(I've been reading up alot on spotting counterfeits, but would prefer a head start with a shop where people have had success previously)

Thanks in advance,

Bill

I am posting for DH.:rolleyes:

He would like to know approx. prices of Cuban Cigars on the Valor.

( I guess it does not matter what ships really, probably similar in cost)

Anyway, BIG cigar lover when he can:rolleyes: ,so can anyone help him?

Also can you buy them in port too?

We will be on Eastern route.

Thanks everyone;) !

On the western itinerary, I paid a Canadian about $20 to $25. He purchased several Cuban cigars at a cruiseline approved tobacconist in a brick & mortar operation, and as a show of appreciation, he gave me all the things he purchased.

As Torpeedo says, look for the Casa de Habanos designation and you'll be fine.

Obviously, don't buy from street vendors or the guy that can sell you the cigars plus a "jen-u-wine" Rolex (aka loRex) watch

Also, does anybody know a shop in Nassau that they have gotten legit Cubans at before?

(I've been reading up alot on spotting counterfeits, but would prefer a head start with a shop where people have had success previously)

There is a Cigar shop in the Atlantis Hotel apparently. This is said to be a trusted supplier in Nassau.

The trading with the enemy act prohibits US nationals from buying or possessing products of Cuba anywhere in the world. If you would like I can post a link for you. I am surprised that they would sell them at a US base overseas, but shouldn't be since the US government rents these stores as concessions. That being said no one is looking for a cigar or two that someone smokes overseas. But two suggestions, 1. don't charge them- you don't want to create a paper trail unnecessarily. 2. Smoke them outside the US. The fine for bringing them back is up to $10,000 and taking the labels off doesn't help either. Its up to you to PROVE the origin not upon customs to prove where they came from. BTW I think this whole boycott Cuba is truely stupid.

We just got back from Nassau last week on the Carnival Sensation. My husband is a huge cigar lover and he bought a cigar on the ship (not sure if it was a Cuban though). They allow you to buy them and they advise you that you have to smoke it on the ship or at port since they are not allowed in the U.S. I think he paid 18 bucks for it. When we were at port we stopped by a few places and so many stores had cigars but hubby said they were fakes. We stopped at a place called J.B traders or something like that. It was a real fancy place that was on the corner of something and had a regular retail store they also owned next to it. I'm trying for the life of me remember the name of the street but I can't. Anyway the girl there said that only 2 places on the island sold the real stuff, them and at the Atlantis. Their prices were 20-50 a cigar compared to 3 for 20 at regular places for the fakes. I'll re-post if I can remember the name of the street or the store. Hope that helped some.:o

Does anybody know what time the shops at Atlantis close?

My Wife and I were going to spend the day in town, head back to the ship for a shower and dinner on the ship, then head to Atlantis after dinner. (9PM-ish I would guess)

And I DEFINITELY wouldn't be buying from a street vendor, even if the bands looked totally legit. (since I have never even seen one, I wouldn't know what they should feel or smell like as a backup to a visual id)

Thanks for the help.

Anybody know of any shops in town I could hit during our day in town?

Bill

We just got back from Nassau last week on the Carnival Sensation. My husband is a huge cigar lover and he bought a cigar on the ship (not sure if it was a Cuban though). They allow you to buy them and they advise you that you have to smoke it on the ship or at port since they are not allowed in the U.S. I think he paid 18 bucks for it. When we were at port we stopped by a few places and so many stores had cigars but hubby said they were fakes. We stopped at a place called J.B traders or something like that. It was a real fancy place that was on the corner of something and had a regular retail store they also owned next to it. I'm trying for the life of me remember the name of the street but I can't. Anyway the girl there said that only 2 places on the island sold the real stuff, them and at the Atlantis. Their prices were 20-50 a cigar compared to 3 for 20 at regular places for the fakes. I'll re-post if I can remember the name of the street or the store. Hope that helped some.:o

Thanks, that is a HUGE help.

At least I know what shop to look for and ask for directions to.

Bill

Archived