General Bermuda Ramble - LONG

Cyber Kat

As I have mentioned in previous posts I have been to Bermuda more times than I can count. Most times we fly in and stay for 10 days to 2 weeks. Bermuda is just fabulous! Mark Twain loved it there and he said "You can have heaven, I'd rather go to Bermuda." I couldn't agree more! Just got back from a cruise to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and Tortola and I can only appreciate Bermuda more.

Last time I went there, was last year on the RCI Voyager out of Bayonne, NJ. One of the best, most exciting moments of the whole cruise was getting up before dawn to watch Bermuda as we approached. I woke up before 5am and looked out our window (no balcony on this trip :( ) and I saw tiny lights on the horizon. My first thought was that it was another ship, but that thought quickly turned - by instinct I guess - to the realization that what I was seeing was Bermuda. YES!

I quickly pulled on some clothes, grabbed my camera and went up on deck - where I found a few other hearty souls, including Patrick from Cruise Critic.

Watching Bermuda grow larger and more distinct as we approached was a fantastic experience for someone who has only seen the approach from a plane (which is quite cool as well.) First time I went to Bermuda, I was only 20 and slept through the approach experience - hey it was early in the morning!

So I highly recommend getting up early on your arrival day for this Not To Be Missed experience - and yes, I saw the pilot, as well as a spectacular sunrise.

Bermuda is relatively safe, but like anywhere else in this world, you need to use common sense. Bermudians are very friendly and it's a genuine friendliness - talk to them every chance you get. They are very proud of their country and love to share thier favorite places and information.

Take the ferry at least once - the ride is well worth the price. Rent mopeds ONLY if you feel totally confident that you can ride without distraction. If you want to see the sights or don't know your way around, stick to cabs, buses and the ferry. Cabs are very expensive, but if you can get a group together a taxi tour is well worth it - the drivers are very knowledgeable.

If you go to the Aquarium (a must stop on my list), Crystal Caves - fun, but small (it's partly underwater, so you walk on pontoons) - do have lunch at the Swizzle Inn. The food is great and the swizzles are the best. Have the Portugese Red Bean soup - yum, nice and spicy.

Also near the Aquarium - if you catch the tide at the right time - you can watch it flow under Flatts Bridge from Harrington Sound into Flatts inlet (or vice versa). It's cool - looks like someone pulled a plug and the water is going down a drain.

You can do the area by bus from Hamilton. Take the North Shore route to the Aquarium. After the Aquarium, hope on another bus (across the road) to Crystal Caves, then it's a short walk to the Swizzle Inn. Have some Bailey's home made ice cream for dessert - right across the road - then hop a South Shore or Middle Road bus back to Hamilton. It makes a great day trip and you'll see a lot.

BEACHES - and yes the sand is really pink - a soft shell pink. The texture is soft also - like walking in talcum powder - and never gets hot.

Horseshoe Bay is great and has a lifeguard and facilities, but it gets very crowded. I like John Smith's Bay (Smith's Parish), Church Bay and Chaplin Bay (both in Southhampton Parish), but one of my favorites is Warwick Long Bay in Warwick Parish. John Smiths is closest if you are traveling from Dockyard/King's Wharf, then Church, Chaplin and Horseshoe. Warwick Long Bay will be the furthest.

All of the South Shore beaches are free except Elbow Beach. They have a fee, but I'm not sure how much it is. If you are traveling from Hamilton, this will be the closest beach.

Also be aware that many of the South Shore beaches have riptides, so if you are using a beach without a lifeguard, do be careful. If you are not a strong swimmer, I'd stay close to shore.

I don't do scuba or snorkling, but I understand that there are a lot of great opportunites for both. I do recommend doing the helmet dive if you are like me and want to experience scuba without the learning curve.

Gibbs Hill lighthouse is worth the climb - check to make sure it's open. Henry the Eighth restaurant (at the foot of Gibbs Hill) is a great place for lunch (or dinner). You can eat on the patio if it's not windy and have a great view of the South Shore. Have the Bermuda Fish Chowder and Banana fritters.

If you are coming from the dockyard and are in good physical shape (or are daring to moped) be sure to visit Fort Scaur - right before the tiny drawbridge (which used to have the only traffic light on the island). The views are simply spectacular!

Have a Dark n Stormy (dark rum - Bermuda Black Seal and ginger beer - yum) in the Frog and Onion at the Dockyard. Stop by the Hog Penny in Hamilton (up Burnaby St from the Flagpole). Have a Dark n Stormy or a Swizzle, a bowl of Bermuda Fish Chowder and banana fritters. Fish and Chips are also excellent here.

If you love seafood and are eating a meal in town (Hamilton), I highly recommend the Lobster Pot. Excellent fish chowder, simply order the catch of the day and again, my favorite banana fritters.

I also recommend Frescos if you are eating a meal off the ship. It's fantastic - fusion cusine served on really interesting plates with great presentation. You can sit in an arbor like setting and listen to the tree frogs. They also have a fabulous wine selection.

to be continued ...

• 2 weeks later...

BEACHES - and yes the sand is really pink - a soft shell pink. The texture is soft also - like walking in talcum powder - and never gets hot.

Horseshoe Bay is great and has a lifeguard and facilities, but it gets very crowded. I like John Smith's Bay (Smith's Parish), Church Bay and Chaplin Bay (both in Southhampton Parish), but one of my favorites is Warwick Long Bay in Warwick Parish. John Smiths is closest if you are traveling from Dockyard/King's Wharf, then Church, Chaplin and Horseshoe. Warwick Long Bay will be the furthest.

to be continued ...

Oh yes please continue....

PLUS..Which beach is most adult friendly?? We are coming from the Dockyards and would liketo eat at the Swizzle inn south hore. Oh yes, we/ve been to Horseshoe Bay years ago......

Thanks........

Thanks for such a good review of our Island Home.

I just want to make some corrections to avoid confusion for other readers.

Elbow Beach is a free public beach. You must enter it from the public access which is just up the hill from the Coral Beach Club.

From Dockyard John Smiths Bay is the furthest.

I hope you enjoy many more visits.

Cindy

Archived