Seeking pos's/negs of longer cruise sessions

OuiOnboard

We will soon be cutting back on working...:D ...which will free up time for more cruising..:D. We are contemplating a B2B2B on Sapphire next year. We love cruising...we love sea days...we love ports. As we've never done more the 17 days at a time on board, we are seeking hints from those who have done these longer stints with regard to potential positives/negatives one might want to be aware of.

..........Thanks in advance....cruise well!!...Oui :)

We usually do 14 or 15 night cruises and have found the atmosphere to be much less hectic than a 7 day cruise.Having new people each week may be interesting but you will probably be getting the same menus repeated each week.We are now looking for something around 3 weeks if they come available.

Our longest to date has been 27 nights, on the Sky Princess' last voyage as a Princess ship, San Francisco to Sydney, 9-00.

We have a 25 nighter this November on Oceania's Nautica, Istanbul to Singapore through the Suez, and are booked for next March on Golden Princess, 23 nights, Santiago (Valparaiso) to San Francisco.

I can't think of any negatives at the moment, other than the long flights required.

Love those sea days!

We will soon be cutting back on working...:D ...which will free up time for more cruising..:D. We are contemplating a B2B2B on Sapphire next year. We love cruising...we love sea days...we love ports. As we've never done more the 17 days at a time on board, we are seeking hints from those who have done these longer stints with regard to potential positives/negatives one might want to be aware of.

..........Thanks in advance....cruise well!!...Oui :)

We have not cruised more than you have 14-15 days at a time, but what I would think about would be....

Negative: If it is important to you, on a B2B2B you would get repeated entertainment. (But you probably already seen Piano Man eight times on your past cruises)

Positive: Lots of time to relax on those sea days. If repeating ports, opportunity to see what you missed last time.

The only thing we have found to be a negative on the B2B's is the menu that totally repeats and the same entertainment on each leg.

Other than that, it is fantastic!

BUT-If you really do some investigating you can find some B2B's that have two different itinerarys so at least your port schedule will remain varied and interesting.

Personally, I would look into an exotic longer cruise rather than just continue to do the same ports again and again that the B2B's do.

I agree with ToTo... I don't see any plusses to a B2B myself. I much prefer an interesting itinerary on a smaller ship. The longest I've done is last year's 21-day Manaus to Rome cruise on the Royal Princess and I loved every minute of it -- the sea days, the ports, getting to know others onboard, etc.

I agree with Toto. A longer exotic can be less expensive than putting three separate cruises together and you will see more ports. Of course you didn't say where you were cruising to, so you may be talking about three exotics B2B. It takes a bit more preparation to be away on a longer cruise, but it's well worth it. I'd live on a ship if I could and we have met people who practically do. Oh yes. . . .there's the weight gain problem on a longer cruise ;o)

I agree with Toto. A longer exotic can be less expensive than putting three separate cruises together and you will see more ports. Of course you didn't say where you were cruising to, so you may be talking about three exotics B2B. It takes a bit more preparation to be away on a longer cruise, but it's well worth it. I'd live on a ship if I could and we have met people who practically do. Oh yes. . . .there's the weight gain problem on a longer cruise ;o)

Thanks all...........we're looking at Vancouver-Whittier, Whittier-Beijing, and Beijing-Bangkok....means only one looooong flight, lots of sea days and nights, some exotic ports, plenty of reading time, and thorough inspection of the menus to underfill the stomach while satisfying the palate in the diningrooms :).

Thanks all...........we're looking at Vancouver-Whittier, Whittier-Beijing, and Beijing-Bangkok....means only one looooong flight, lots of sea days and nights, some exotic ports, plenty of reading time, and thorough inspection of the menus to underfill the stomach while satisfying the palate in the diningrooms :).

Wow, Wow and WOW!. . .then I can't think of any negatives. This will be awesome. I'd go for it and don't forget to let us know how it was.

Wow! Can't think of any negatives worth considering with a fantastic itinerary like that. Even if some of the menus were to repeat, there is usually a good variety of appetizers, entrees and desserts on each one, so that you should be able to vary your selections and find new favorites.

Sounds like a great cruise. One thing that would be a concern is that someone would have to take care of things like yard work and check on the house while you are away. I've often wondered how people who take long cruise vacations manage that.

Sounds like a great cruise. One thing that would be a concern is that someone would have to take care of things like yard work and check on the house while you are away. I've often wondered how people who take long cruise vacations manage that.
Two things: condo and cat sitter. :)

Sounds like an excellent cruise!!! The only "negative" I forsee is that you will not have much time in Beijing because of the B2B (or Bangkok, because you will have already taken such a long time away from home). The drive from Tiajin, where the ship docks to Beijing is a bit over 2 hours. Accordingly, you would only have 1/2 day, at most to see Beijing--and no opportunity to see Xi'an. One thing I absolutely loved about our Beijing to Bangkok cruise was that we finally decided to take significant time--an additional two weeks--split up at the beginning and end of the cruise to see some highlights in the area. The orient is a fascinating place and definitely a place that requires one to spend a minimum of a few days--as opposed to a few hours--on land to enjoy the culture. But I think the cruise sounds absolutely fascinating and I sure wish it was me going!

Enjoy your cruise(s)!!!

..not have much time in Beijing because of the B2B (or Bangkok, because you will have already taken such a long time away from home). The drive from Tiajin, where the ship docks to Beijing is a bit over 2 hours. Accordingly, you would only have 1/2 day, at most to see Beijing--and no opportunity to see Xi'an. One thing I absolutely loved about our Beijing to Bangkok cruise was that we finally decided to take significant time--an additional two weeks--split up at the beginning and end of the cruise to see some highlights in the area....

Thanks for the tips...can't take better advantage of Beijing, but we hope to spend two nights in Bangkok before flying out. We have no pets...our plants and teen son will be watered :) in shifts by adult daughter, other family, and friends...yes, we can spell "house party". :D

May you all cruise well....Oui

Archived