Rome to Amalfi Coast - Transport

We need to get from Rome to Positano on holiday. A few options:

1- Get Driver - $$$$

2- Rent car in Rome

3- Take a Train to Naples - then rent car $$

4- Take Train to Naples - get driver to Positano

5- Take Train from Rome to Naples ...then local train circumvesuviana and Sita Bus

6- Take special Bus Marozzi from Rome to Sorrento then SIta bus to Positano

Any ideas? Thoughts? We are adventurous each with roller luggage!

We recently spent a week in Praiano, which is about 8 miles from Postiano. We drove there from Tuscany, and than drove to Rome from the Amalfi coast (we have been there a few times). If you are going to rent a car, than it would actually make more sense to rent at FCO (Rome's airport) and drive the entire way to Positano, Taking the train to Naples would just add some hassles since you would probably have to train from FCO into Rome and change trains and than get to your rental car location in Naples. The train from FCO to Rome Termini stops at a platform that is very far from any other train line...and you will probably not find any help with your luggage. The rental car companies all have their FCO counters in the indoor parking garages adjacent to the terminals, and you can use a luggage cart from the baggage area right to your car (its still a hike). As to driving on the Amalfi coast, it is a challenge for many drivers and its a bit tricky getting through the Sorrento area without getting lost. The SITA bus (it leaves from Sorrento) is often very very crowded (standing room only) and you will still need to get from the bus stop to your hotel (this can be a big hike depending on your hotel). Having a car on the Amalfi coast can be rewarding, but its also a challenge with parking hassles. If your hotel in Positano does not offer parking, you will pay a small fortune to park in one of the pay garages in Positano. There is free parking on the road above Positano, but finding a space is very very difficult and you might have a good mile walk to your hotel. When we want to have a rental car on the Amalfi coast, we are always careful to book a hotel that offers parking. I would add that many say use the SITA buses to get around the Amalfi coast, but this is not as good as it sounds. These buses do not run an often as you would expect (sometimes one per hour or less) and, in season, they can be jam packed. The Amalfi coast experience is a real challenge for even the most experienced traveler (part of the fun) but we would return tomorrow if it were possible. Not sure this helps,, but please ask any other questions and we will try to provide answers.

Hank

I think we are going to take the train from Rome to Naples - we will have spent the day there after touring vatican. Once arriving in Naples, we will have a driver take us from the station into Positano. We have no desire to hang in Naples, but I would like to enjoy the remaining ride into the coast. Thoughts? It also saves a heck of a lot of $$! Luggage isn't a problem - we will have one "wheelie" a piece.

My thought is its a pretty good plan. Your route from Naples will take you very close to the ruins at both Herculanium and Pompeii (I mention this if you have any interest in these sites). You will also hug the coast line as you near Sorrento and there are some nice views even before you get to the Amalfi drive.

Hank

P.S. We would return to the Amalfi area tomorrow if we had the time

Thanks Hank,

My PA friends say the same - that's why we are going there actually! I think we may pass on going to Pompeii when we arrive because it should be late. BUt maybe on the return trip, we would leave early and the driver could include the trip to pompeii , then take us to the train. Now I am going to look into the specifics for the eurostar. Any info? I am not sure if it's a reserve trip/ticket. I would hope that we could just "hop on" like amtrak.

Hank,

I was noticing your fabulous recommendations for capri on other threads! As we are using Positano for our home base and probably going to totally "play it by ear", do you have any favorite places in the area? THis is going to be a vacation NOT a trip. I don't want to be spending most of the time in a car/bus but wouldn't mind a few little excursions. So, to that end..any "not to be missed places" other than pompeii? Thanks!

You can take the train from Rome to Salerno and then from there take the ferry back to Positano. You could also take the train to Naples and then Naples to Sorrento and from Sorrento to Positanio by bus. We took the bus from Sorrento to Positano it was a great drive, we then went on up the coast by bus to Amalfi and the ferry to Salerno where we took a train to Palermo, Sicly. It is all so beautiful along the coast.

Arteest, I sure wish we were going with you as we can never get enough of Italy. My wife and I spend weeks debating whether to stay in Positano or where we eventually stayed at the Hotel Onda Verde located a few miles East in Praiano. Since we had a car, we decided on Praiano because our hotel offered free parking in their own lot. The claim to fame of where we stayed (besides the excellent hotel and wonderful family who ran the place) was that it was within walking distance to the Africana nightclub which is probably the most famous nightclub on the Amalfi Coast. That being said, we did not feel inclined to pay the $20 per person cover to hear a Latin salsa band. Staying in Positano does have several advantages including easy access to transportation (buses and ferries) and a large choice of cafes, restaurants, and shops. You certainly should plan a day trip to Amalfi and Ravello. You can get there on a boat or by using the local SITA buses. As to Positano, I reallly do not have enough experience to make specific recommendations. The fun is just walking through the town (this only takes a few hours), looking at the posted menus, and making your choices. You will be able to browse through most of the shops and galleries in a single day, and it is a lot of fun. There is also a pretty decent beach in Positano where they do rent chairs, umbrellas, etc and there are some cafes where you can have lunch, drinks, etc. You also should reserve a day for Capri, which is very convenient since there are boats that go directly from Positano's pier. My wife also recommends that you spend some time looking at the local shoes (like any woman needs this recommendation) which are made of nice Italian leather. You will probably want to eat your dinners within Positano since its a bit of a pain to move around on the coast after dark.

Hank

Archived