I D Problems

My name on my cruise ticket is my first and last name. My license with photo has my first name, middle initial and last name. My passport with photo has first name, middle name and last name. Will this be a problem?? I have cruised before on Carnival with this ID and had no problem. Does anyone know if this will be ok? Thank you

What if you don't have a passport? I was bringing my birth certificate and license, but then since I am married, my birth certificate last name is different then what is on my license. Should I bring a copy of my marriage certificate also? I am sure this must come up before.

What if you don't have a passport? I was bringing my birth certificate and license, but then since I am married, my birth certificate last name is different then what is on my license. Should I bring a copy of my marriage certificate also? I am sure this must come up before.

I would take along your marriage certificate along with your birth certificate, just in case. I took both last year on our cruise but never had to show the marriage certificate. However, the year before when we flew to Mexico I had to show the marriage certificate. So, to be safe, take it.

Hi lisa.. yes you have to bring a certified copy of your marriage license since your drivers license will not match.. your marriage license will have the name that matches your drivers license.. you still need your BC though... :)

If your set sail pass prints in your married name, and your driver license says otherwise, you should just get a new Driver license before you sail.

if your sail pass and your DL are a match, then all you need is the BC in addition (proves you are a US citizen) but you should bring a copy of your certifed marriage license also if you are recently newly married. (it is just one more piece of paper) :)

happy sailing to you

My name on my cruise ticket is my first and last name. My license with photo has my first name, middle initial and last name. My passport with photo has first name, middle name and last name. Will this be a problem?? I have cruised before on Carnival with this ID and had no problem. Does anyone know if this will be ok? Thank you

That will not be a problem.

IF the name on your DL matches your cruise ticket it will be fine.

The above poster is not correct. He/she may be "correct" in what normally happens in practice, but from a documentation required standpoint, here's what's needed:

1. Valid Passport (valid 6 months after sailing) or, in lieu of this:

2. This combination -- Original BC or certified copy with a raised seal (the seal WILL be raised on a certified copy; there are some circumstances where an original BC will not have a raised seal. Just make sure it's an original state-issued BC and not a hospital certificate) along with a current driver's license. The BC establishes Proof of Citizenship. The DL establishes Proof of Identity. If your last name on your BC is one name and your last name on DL is another, you need proof of how you went from the BC name to the DL name (marriage license, divorce cert, proof of legal name change, adoption, etc.). So, a married woman MUST have, according to current law, her BC, marriage license, and DL if she has a married name different from her maiden name. Reference http://www.travel.state.gov for more details.

In practice, you'll probably find that no one will ask to see your marriage license. They seldom ask for it; however, the law still says you need it and the govt is within their rights in asking for it. So bring it just in case you are the 2% that is asked to show it.

Archived