Bringing my guitar on board

pes949

On our last cruise, one in our CC group brought his guitar. He was a professional jazz musician and we never did hear him play, but he was bringing

it to play on his balcony.

Also, one night on another Princess cruise we were walking around the promenade deck and a gentleman had his ukelele and was playing it while

the two ladies flanking him were singing. It was great!

It wouldn't bother me at all to have a next door balcony neighbor playing

the accoustical guitar. Now if we're talking electric guitar, yikes!

I will leave the guitar at home.... but if I can find a Ukelele in a souviner shop it will be played!!! I will keep my door closed.... I like to be considerate of others.... But I hope they have one for the talent contest!!! You really do not want to hear me sing....

I agree that smoking on balconies really is far more annoying than anything else I can think of. We had that problem in Alaska 2 years ago with chain smokers just fwd of us. They were up at dawn every day and puffed out more smoke than the stacks on the Titanic.

On our last cruise, my hubby brought his guitar (so he can continue his daily practice) and my daughter brought her ukelele (I had read on CC that there are classes on the Island Princess Hawaiian cruises).

There was no problem in bringing them aboard at all. Both of them took part in the uke classes and my hubby did get in some playing time on the Promenade deck (and a couple of times in our cabin, playing softly with no complaints from neighbors who probably were not in anyway). After taking the uke class, another guy came up to him and said he brought his guitar and would love to jam. So that afternoon, they jammed, along with a third guitar player.

1352062636_guitarman.jpg.6867c456782c5f7d95e8fb50a54d140d.jpg

I think it would be lovely to hear from the balcony. If someone complains, you can always find a quiet spot on deck......I guess I'd ask my neighbors first if it bothered them.....but why miss the chance to look at the ocean and play as you sail along.....there are plenty of little quiet nooks to chill in all over the ship.

PS: Fred - if you're reading this - I hope you bring your guitar along on our cruise next month - you might even learn some new tunes - Hawiian & Tahitian.....so bring it on!

To those who have said that it would disturb them if their balcony was next door to yours..........

I say: Bring it on. I would rather listen to you playing your acoustic guitar ANY DAY over someone smoking on the next balcony, and that certainly STILL IS PERMITTED.

I'm in agreement on this one. I wouldn't mind hearing a little guitar on my balcony -- perhaps not all day, nor at loud volumes, but for part of the time, I wouldn't mind at all.

It would certainly be more pleasant than dealing with cigarette smoke. I know many folks feel they have a right to smoke, but many people (myself included) suffer from that frustrating medical condition called asthma, and pollutants like cigarette smoke commonly trigger asthma attacks. I really wish cigarette smoke didn't cause me problems, but unfortunately it does, so if my neighbors are out enjoying their cigarette, I am unable to enjoy my balcony. It forces me to go indoors.

Bring your guitar along and play it softly.

I'm in agreement on this one. I wouldn't mind hearing a little guitar on my balcony -- perhaps not all day, nor at loud volumes, but for part of the time, I wouldn't mind at all.

It would certainly be more pleasant than dealing with cigarette smoke. I know many folks feel they have a right to smoke, but many people (myself included) suffer from that frustrating medical condition called asthma, and pollutants like cigarette smoke commonly trigger asthma attacks. I really wish cigarette smoke didn't cause me problems, but unfortunately it does, so if my neighbors are out enjoying their cigarette, I am unable to enjoy my balcony. It forces me to go indoors.

Bring your guitar along and play it softly.

and I hope sentiments are the same for the awful perfumes and colognes that are worn and abused. They effect some as much as cigarette smoke does. :cool:

and I hope sentiments are the same for the awful perfumes and colognes that are worn and abused. They effect some as much as cigarette smoke does. :cool:

Yes, we can lump them together with cigarette smoke in the "pollutants" category. :)

If someone said an electric guitar I would say no way! An acoustic guitar is so mellow I would have no problem with someone strumming on the next balcony. If you are particularly concerned, you could knock on your next door neighbor's cabin and ask if they mind if you play.

If someone said an electric guitar I would say no way! An acoustic guitar is so mellow I would have no problem with someone strumming on the next balcony. If you are particularly concerned, you could knock on your next door neighbor's cabin and ask if they mind if you play.

What happens if the neighbor says no? Would this now create ill will throughout the cruise? Would the OP ignore his neighbors wishes?

OK, you've convinced me. I'm going to sneak my tuba on board, along with my 6 1.75 liters of booze, my 4 cases of beer, and assorted mixers. Now if I can just fit in the charcoal grill!

Might you retrofit the tuba for grilling :confused:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]We were on the Coral Princess in Feb/05's for a Panama Canal cruise and DH brought along his smaller acoustic guitar. He's played for about 40 years and likes bringing the guitar with him on vacations so his callouses don't soften.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Our cabin faced the aft Baja Deck and a number of evenings we sat out there with new friends while he played songs that we could enjoy singing along with. Some folks came out, thought it was a private party, and were going to leave until we told them they were welcome to stay and relax with us... one evening there were about 25 of us enjoying the music, companionship and night air.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bring your guitar, enjoy your talent and have a wonderful cruise.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)[/FONT]

[quote name='ger_77'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]....[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Our cabin faced the aft Baja Deck and a number of evenings we sat out there with new friends while he played songs that we could enjoy singing along with. Some folks came out, thought it was a private party, and were going to leave until we told them they were welcome to stay and relax with us... one evening there were about 25 of us enjoying the music, companionship and night air.[/FONT]..[/quote]Sounds like a great way to spend the evening...hope somebody does this when we cruise on the coral this winter.

[quote name='cjskids']What happens if the neighbor says no? Would this now create ill will throughout the cruise? Would the OP ignore his neighbors wishes?[/quote]

I would imagine it's like living anywhere, you do it during daylight hours and not at a loud volume. I lived in a duplex and my neighbors thought my singing was horrible. They pretty much hated me and my family (called my kids racist names to their faces) and complained loud and long about my training time. Since I've won awards for my voice I just decided that training at the furthest end of the house from 4-5 every day at a modest level was going to have to work for them. Since I put up with their noise all night it seemed like a fair deal and our landlord agreed I was not bothering anyone, they just liked to complain. (They also went off for an hour on me once about our leaving the house quietly on Monday mornings at 4. Since I had to get to the airport to make a 5:30 am flight there was nothing I could do about it). For the most part people are considerate and understanding of general use of your cabin. A guitar is going to be as loud as the average TV program. Use common sense and I suspect everyone will get along.

Archived