Roskilde Festival

If you are in Copenhagen in the next week so visit Roskilde and Exerience the city in partymode as the Roskilde Festival is ready for yet another year.

The 75.000 people attending the Festival from this sunday will more than double the population of Roskilde (50.000) and you can buy a lot of things at the small markets and people are playing music in the streets.

But not forget the Viking ship museum with replicated Viking ships and and the Roskilde Cathedral where all the danish kings and Queens are buried

The Festival starts up on thursday june the 29 and ends on sunday the 2. july and some of the bands that are playing are Arctic Monkey, Deftones, Bob Dylan, Franz Ferdinand, George Clinton Parliament, Guns n´Roses, Kaiser Chiefs, Jenny Lewis with the Watson twins, Morrissey, Placebo, Primal Scream, The Raconteurs, Scissor Sisters, The Streets, Tool, Roger Waters (pink Floyd), Kanye West and many many more.

The festival are sold out and i got 2 tickets so maybe i will meet some of you.

Tuborg is the official beer but Carlsberg own Tuborg so im sure they have both beer.

My favorite was always Tuborg. That was before Carlsberg purchased Tuborg, and Tuborg was brewed in Hellerup. Have fun.

By the way, the Sunday tickets are available on Sunday the 2. july

The prices are 550 DKK, and kids between the age of 10 and 14 is 225 DKK and the Sunday tickets can never be sold out.

If they are between 0 and 9 the entrance is free.

And all people over 60 is also free. (the last couple of years aprox. 5000 people use that offer every year)

The program is just like super Sunday

Metropol Stage: (Experimental and underground music)

13:30 Rumpistol (Denmark) - 15:30 Insen, Alva nota & Ryuichi Sakamoto (Germany/Japan) - 18:00 Coldcut (UK) - 20:00 Goldfrapp (UK)

Ballroom Stage: (International folk music)

12:30 Anoushka Shankar (India) - 14:45 Bola S (Uruguay) - 17:00 Ed Motta (Brazil) - 19:15 Balkan Beat box (USA/Israel/palestine/Bulgaria/Marocco/Spain)

Pavilion Stage:

13:00 Natasja & Ragga Pack (Denmark) - 15:00 Killl (Norway) - 17:00 Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins (USA) - 19:00 Spank Rock (USA) - 21:00 Animal Collective (USA)

Odeon Stage:

12:00 Figurines (Denmark) - 14:00 Mad Caddies (USA) - 16:00 Wolfmother (Australia) - 18:00 Hatesphere (Denmark) - 20:15 The Raconteurs (USA)

Arena Stage:

13:30 Evergrey (Sweden) - 15:30 Arctic Monkeys (UK) - 18:00 Placebo (UK) - 20:45 Kaiser Chiefs (UK)

Orange Stage (The Main Stage at Roskilde Where U2 got there major break through in 1882 in a Legendary Concert)

15:00 Damian JR. Gong Marley (Jamaica/Bob Marleys Son) - 17:00 The Strokes (USA) - 19:30 Franz Ferdinand (Scotland) - 21:30 Roger Waters/Pink Floyd (UK) Performs The Dark side of the Moon.

I was hoping to see Roskilde sites (it's in 1000 places to see before you die) but afraid that the music festival will cause such crowds the sites will be difficult to visit. We would only have a part of one day {July 1, 2 or 3}. Also I read that there are some 4th of July celebrations in Denmark. Anything you can tell me about this? I once spent the 4th of July at an Irish castle dinner and it was a hoot. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Danish Viking for all his great posts. I especially enjoyed the AOK restaurant site as one can never plan their vacation meals too far in advance! Ida Davidson and I are about to have dinner together. MeMe

Danish Viking I have enjoyed your posts. I wish I was in Denmark for the Roskilde Festival but unfortunaltly I will not be in Denmark until the middle of August. After our Baltic cruise I am doing a teacher exchange with a teacher form Copenhagen I spend ten days with her in Copenhagen and she spends ten days with me at my school in Northern, Canada. I am very excited to learn about Danish culture and the Danish education system. Once again wish I was at the festival and thanks for all the information.

@ Bowie MeMe

I Don´t think that there will be too crowded because that the festival are started when you come and most of the people will be at the fetival site to listen to the music.

But the markets and the street musicians will be there at the Festival warm-up from yesterday and to Thursday the 29th when the festival starts.

Take to Roskilde the 1. july because that the festival end the 2. July and so there will be overcrowded in the trains back to Copenhagen. (and also the 3th because many first take home monday)

I don´t know of any 4th of july celebrations in Copenhagen but Rebild Bakker in the north of Jutland are famous for the celebration hold by Rebild National Park Society, Inc.

http://www.rebildfesten.dk/

@ Pantux.

The weather in Denmark is lovely in August and i hope that you enjoy it here, what school are you going to teach at.

By the way, thanks to Pantux and Bowie MeMe for the words, thats make me wanna help all of you even more.

Hi Danish Viking: The school is Rungsted Gymnasium I belive it is outside Copenhagen. What does Gymnasium mean in this case? In Canada Gymnasium is a large room where sports and physicl education occur.

Haha,

No this is some kind of high school just before the university.

The education system look like this (roughly)

Public School.

Teknisk skole - Constructions (Carpenter)

Gymnasium - Teacher, Doctor, scientist (but you need to study at the university after the gymnasium)

Handelsskole (business School) Office, shops.

Archived