Facing Forward!

albertiger

i am looking for people that have stayed in a forward facing cabin on Vista class ships, specifically F6001 (or 6002). Any problems with noise from the door going out to the forward deck? Did you have to keep curtains drawn at night because of bridge above? Was there any noise from above? (unmarked cabins) Was the window standard size and what time were the deck lights turned off? Also which wall were the beds on? Thanks for the help!;)

i am looking for people that have stayed in a forward facing cabin on Vista class ships, specifically F6001 (or 6002). Any problems with noise from the door going out to the forward deck? Did you have to keep curtains drawn at night because of bridge above? Was there any noise from above? (unmarked cabins) Was the window standard size and what time were the deck lights turned off? Also which wall were the beds on? Thanks for the help!;)

While I've not stayed in a forward stateroom, I've stayed in an aft stateroom on Amsterdam.

In my experience, the door to the open deck could be very loud - however, the doors to the forward decks on Vistas are much larger and very difficult to open and close as they are solid steel and have the massive turnbuckle mechanisms to make them watertight, so I sincerely doubt you'll be bothered with numerous thud's from people coming and going in the night...

While the ship is underway the forward decklights are always off - so you'll have to keep your stateroom lights off after dark to see anything outside (as they do on the Bridge) Stewards always close the curtains in every stateroom when they make up rooms at night.

From photographs, the windows appear to be larger than portholes, but certainly not picture windows.

...and beds are usually found on the floors - not the walls ;) :eek:

but i find it hard to believe this is the only info on this cabin to be had!:confused: These boards seem to move at a slower pace than others so maybe a little bump can renew interest! Pictures would be nice too!:D

I have never stayed in one of these cabins, but (1) I have looked in through the window while out on the forward deck for the 3 pm Webcam wave in San Diego. And, (2) once I walked into one of them while the steward was doing the change-over for the next cruise. The cabin is a little smaller than I would like, but as a single person I would find it perfectly adequate. The window would be nice because it gives one lots of light in the daytime. The head of the bed was right under the window -- in other words, you sleep with your head pointed in the direction of the ship's motion, which will be helpful if the ship is slamming ... you won't be rolling out of bed every 20 seconds.

Would I stay in such a cabin? Sure! If the price were right. I would much rather be on Main Deck, amidships, in one of the much LARGER J-category cabins ... or, if sharing with someone, amidships in an SS cabin. But, if I couldn't get my preferred location and just HAD to make a certain cruise, I'd certainly not turn down one of those forward cabins. For my preferences, I would rather be aft ... the motion is a little less jarring and you're closer to the food. :)

i just called HAL and its 180 sq. ft. The position of the bed suits me fine as im traveling alone and will have them configured as twins. I tend to gravitate toward bow cabins as i actually like to feel some motion, and the view in the a.m approaching islands should be great! Plus its only a few steps to walk outside!:D

i just called HAL and its 180 sq. ft. The position of the bed suits me fine as im traveling alone and will have them configured as twins. I tend to gravitate toward bow cabins as i actually like to feel some motion, and the view in the a.m approaching islands should be great! Plus its only a few steps to walk outside!:D

By far, the best advantage to these cabins is the close proximity to the outside, and to views forward. I agree entirely with you on that. For my own preferences, I rather have the beds together when traveling solo so I can enjoy rolling around in a big bed AND get full use of the bed. :) But, that's just me; many others thinking and feel differently on this matter. :)

You might like to see this photo:

1136576993100838.jpg

This shot shows the forward decks of a Vista with the cabin windows clearly visible. And, yes, that's me waving at the San Diego Webcam. :)

Well, I guess we can both be suprised since I will be embarking as you are disembarking.

I don't think noise will be an issue in 6001 or 6002, since there are no cabins above, AND most of the deck is verandahs. I don't think that many people in the verandahs will be going out to the door next to these rooms. Although, the three other families I am traveling with probably will. Lucky for you...you are traveling the week before.;)

We stayed in forward facing cabins on the old Noordam a few times. We were required to draw the curtains at dusk in order to avoid interference with operations from the bridge, and though I don't know if it is required on the Vista class, you may be asked to do so.

I checked out these cabins while I was on the Oosterdam. I liked them, partly because they had a little different layout than the standard cabin.

There are actually 2 doors out to this front deck.....a traditional wooden door and a heavier steel door that clamps shut. It will be clamped shut while the ship is underway because it can cause a wind tunnel down the hall if left open. According to the steward, the steel door will be open in scenic areas for access to the forward deck.

Seaching my memory, I can't swear that there was both a wooden and steel door. But what I do most certainly remember is easily stepping out onto the front deck while we were in San Diego Harbour....and then finding it firmly clamped shut later as we sailed for Mexico.

• 1 year later...
And I'll be in 6001 come February also. I'd like to see pics if possible. In the meantime, I'll be dancing foot to foot waiting for our Caribbean vacation.

Thanks

Hi,

I had the newer of my 2 computers quit on me so I am on my shakier, older laptop now. Not sure I want to brave using the D drive on it.

What you can do is e-mail access and compiliance and HAL and they will send you pics. It may take longer than when I send them, but they are good about getting them to you.:)

I don't know if this is an issue on HAL but we took a cruise on Princess and had a front facing cabin with balcony and were not allowed to have the balcony door open while at sea and once we asked the steward to "forget" to lock it one morning and I found out why. The wind was so strong coming into the cabin I could hardly get the door open and letting it go accidentally it slammed so hard it would have taken an arm off if it got in the way. It was listed as a mini suite with limited use balcony we didn't know what that meant so we booked it anyway because we wanted the suite. It had great views but we couldn't enjoy the balcony while at sea. Just wanted to mention this but it may not be the same situation on HAL's forward cabins.

I don't know if this is an issue on HAL but we took a cruise on Princess and had a front facing cabin with balcony and were not allowed to have the balcony door open while at sea and once we asked the steward to "forget" to lock it one morning and I found out why. The wind was so strong coming into the cabin I could hardly get the door open and letting it go accidentally it slammed so hard it would have taken an arm off if it got in the way. It was listed as a mini suite with limited use balcony we didn't know what that meant so we booked it anyway because we wanted the suite. It had great views but we couldn't enjoy the balcony while at sea. Just wanted to mention this but it may not be the same situation on HAL's forward cabins.

On HAL, they aren't actually forward facing.....your balcony would be on the side of the ship. There is a public deck in front of your cabin that has to be closed off while underway for the same reason reason you mentioned. It should be somwhat windy on the balcony on HAL but not entirely un-usable.

We were right above and loved the cabin. We have booked the same VA for 2008 (one year port and one year starboard based on itinerary). We could put our head around the balcony rail and see straight ahead. We were right under the bridge and never heard anything.

Which Princess Ship? It seems a lot of the Princess ships have outside cabins and not balcony cabins all the way forward and this must be why.

By far, the best advantage to these cabins is the close proximity to the outside, and to views forward. I agree entirely with you on that. For my own preferences, I rather have the beds together when traveling solo so I can enjoy rolling around in a big bed AND get full use of the bed. :) But, that's just me; many others thinking and feel differently on this matter. :)

You might like to see this photo:

1136576993100838.jpg

This shot shows the forward decks of a Vista with the cabin windows clearly visible. And, yes, that's me waving at the San Diego Webcam. :)

I think you are standing on Deck 6, right? Note that on the Deck above where you are standing (btw, great photo), that window is from a crew cabin. The only window in the forward cabins are part of the balcony/door on the side of the ship. Perhaps the handicap cabins have a different layout?

• 2 months later...
My husband and I will be in F6001 on the Zuiderdam the week of Thanksgiving. If you are traveling after that, I would be happy send you pictures and give you my opinion on the cabin.

Hi Red; How was your Zuiderdam trip? I'm writing to you as I will be in the same cabin as yours come Feb.3. Did you take any pics of the cabin? I have until the 7th to make any changes so it would be nice to glean any info I can.

Two weeks ago on the Oosterdam, we had to make an emergency stop in Cabo on the way back north to disembark an ill passenger. We decided to head out to deck 5 where we'd done the webcam wave to watch as we came in, and found the doors were open. Another lady was out there, peering into the window of 5002 - she said that this was her cabin, and she was checking to see if people could see inside her room (she could if she got right up against the window and shielded her eyes - something a passer-by isn't likely to do). We asked her about the cabin, and she said that it was fairly bumpy and noisy - she could hear the wind whistling around the veranda when the ship was underway. She also said that she'd just been moved to that cabin from another one right under the kitchen, so she didn't mind the wind noise in comparison.

Archived