Food & Drink on the Explorer Promenade

We're taking our 1st RCCL cruise over Thanksgiving. I've been reading all I can to familiarize myself with the ship. I still can't figure out exactly what's available on the Promenade. :o I'm not even sure I understand the concept, except for the fact that it looks like a shopping mall in the pictures I've seen. Anyway, I've read that the coffee shop serves pastries. Are they free only when purchasing specialty coffee? I've also read something about sandwiches being available at certain times of the day. :confused: Unfortunately, I've read just enough to get even more confused. :p Please, clue me in. :D What food & drink offerings are available on the Explorer Promenade? Also, which are free & which have a surcharge? What is the surcharge? TIA :)

The Promenade Cafe (open 24 hrs)serves food and basic drinks, coffee, tea, iced tea no charges. It is a smaller type restaurant.

Pastries, sandwiches,pizza if also free of extra charge.

Ben and Jerry's cahrges a fee for the ice cream, it is its own little shop.

There are lounges and pubs on the Promanade,they charge for the drinks and sodas.

There are also the ship shops on promanade.

table and chairs for outside cafe feelings.

The Voyager class chips have parades (which are fantastic!!) the nite of sailaway.

It is the center of inside activities, and you should love it.

I hope this helps......:)

The Cafe Promenade serves pastries in the morning - you don't have to purchase anything to get them. Then starting about mid-morning they start serving sandwiches and pizza in addition to the pastries. You can buy a specialty coffee there, but there is also a station for regular coffee, hot chocolate, and hot tea at no charge. There is also a Ben & Jerry's which you have to pay for.

Here's a link to the deck plan for the Promenade:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=05&shipCode=EX&shipProfile=1081&sailDate=1060611&hasNavigation=false

Cafe Promenade serves various time-of-day-related foodstuffs (yummy pastry) free of charge with the exception of the specialty coffee (there is free ship's coffee available as well). B&J charges for the ice cream. The other venues are bar/pub-type places where you pay for the alcohol and soda (unless you have the soda pass). If I remember right, any food that you might be able to get there is free (but that I'm hazy on...I was only at the Pub once (it was always crowded (in a pub sort of way)because it had a nice ambience and Pete Wickersham was great entertainment) and the Champagne Bar once (where I remember munching something while sipping bubbly).

Thanks for the info & link. It's very helpful! I can see us spending a lot of time at the Promenade Cafe. :) We don't like buffets, & the dining room isn't always the greatest (at least on Celebrity) at lunch. The PC sounds right up our alley. I'm really glad to hear I can get pastries w/out coffee. I don't drink coffee & my DH likes plain, black coffee. However, pastries (desserts in general) are at the top of my food pyramid. :p It's a good thing we have an AFT cabin. I can burn off some of the calories on my many trips to get pastries. :D I'm sure my DH & I will spend some time in the champagne bar as well. ;)

One more question.... We were on an X ship last Thanksgiving & they weren't showing any football games. This was a sea day & we were really hoping to catch the games. Will they be showing the games in the Sports Bar on Explorer? If so, will it be one of those situations where you need to get there very early just to get a seat? If so, is there another place to watch the games? Thanks again :)

One more question.... We were on an X ship last Thanksgiving & they weren't showing any football games. This was a sea day & we were really hoping to catch the games. Will they be showing the games in the Sports Bar on Explorer? If so, will it be one of those situations where you need to get there very early just to get a seat? If so, is there another place to watch the games? Thanks again :)

I honestly don't remember which sport it was, but something biggish was happening on Voyager and the Sports bar was definitely full, but they all seemed to be having a complete blast. I remember there being a bunch of televisions at a bunch of angles so you could see from anywhere. As I recall, I believe it was also being shown on the ship's television system as well.

These very boards are where we learned about the free Seattle's Best Coffee. There are specialty coffees available at a charge, of course (you'll see the sign). But... turn around ---> look toward the back of the Café and there is the free stuff, gallons of it!!! It's the best on the ship. The coffee in the Dining Room, the Windjammer, and Room Service are absolutely awful - I don't know why, supposedly it is all Seattle's Best. Hmm.

Coffee and cookies (Oatmeal Raisin!) on the Promenade - awesome!

Have a great time!

Archived