Fantasy Review (6/15 - 6/19)

Someone already answered the question about lunch on HMC. As they said, it was free. We never went to it though. We just got pizza when we got back on board.

In reference to the question about our table. No, we never looked to see who we would have been sitting with, had we not changed our table with the maitre d'. We never actually knew exactly which table would have been ours. They weren't numbered so there was no way of telling. When we checked in with the maitre d', he just told us we had been assigned to a 6 person booth. Our new table was much better even though we weren't sitting with other couples. We had a table next to the window and it wasn't a booth. More space, nice view.

Thanks for all the feedback on the review guys. Glad everyone enjoyed it. Do me a favor though. When you get back from your cruises, post a review of your own. It's amazing how many people are on these boards for months asking questions, but don't provide any feedback when they return. I think once their trip is over, they don't come back to the boards until they're planning another trip. Maybe it's too depressing, I don't know. Either way, I like reading the reviews. The longer, the better. Like many of you said, it's like reliving your cruise when you read them. If anything can take me away from a dreary, rainy day in Ohio, it's a decent cruise review.

Thank you for the great (not long enough) review. Like someone said, the longer, the better!! No, you posted a great review! We are also sailing next week.

We've been discussing on our roll call about the valet parking. I noticed you sailed on a Thursday. Did you have to valet only?

Thanks for the objective review fellow Buckeye! We leave on our cruise in 40 days and can't stand the wait! We have also been upgraded to an oceanview on the Empress deck. With some luck we will move down to the Upper deck and into a suite!:D

Were you on the 4 day or 5 day? It seems like you were in Nassau a lot later than we will be. It shows the Fantasy leaving Nassau at 3:00 PM. Also, I don't remember you mentioning Grand Turks.

Also, how did your debarkation go?

You're right I guess I am on the opposite side of the Empress deck so you won't be able to determine if I'll be affected by any Galley noise! I don't think we'll care about any noise by the time we make it to our cabin, so I won't fret over that issue.

Now lunch being served for free on HMC was news to me, so now I know to book our clamshells on the boat (first day) and to look forward to the lunch! I'll also check on the "internet cafe" you mentioned near Senor Frogs, as we're sure we'll want to check on our little ones. I have a DS (3yo) and one of my BF's has a DS (4yo). Although it'll be a much needed break, we'll like to talk to our families even if it's briefly without paying outta the wazoo!! :D

Glad you had a great time and I will surely post a review upon my return! I am guilty of not posting after my last cruise up until this year but I won't do that again. I enjoy reading reviews and living vicariously through other's vacations!!

Fantasy was the first ship we cruised on. It is still my favorite ship, mabye it's because it was the first. Anyway thanks for bringing back a flood of fond memories of that ship.

Do they still have the ship models at the entrance to the two main dining rooms?

I think that I read somewhere else that the room key and the sail and sign card were two seperate cards, is this true. We have cruised before with carnival and don't remember this. We are going on the Fantasy on 8/28 and are so excited. I can't think of anymore questions you guys covered it all.

I Loved Your Review. Very Entertaining. I Must Say It Is The Best I Have Ever Read.

We Are Booked For November 13th Out Of New Orleans On The Fantasy. There Are Four Of Us. Hope We Have As Much Fun As You Did. It Probably Has A Lot To Do With Your Positive Attitude. I Bet You Don't Let Anything Get You Down.

We Are Also Booked To Go To Alaska Next June. Can't Wait. This Will Be Our Second Time To Cruise Alaska. You Really Need To Do It. I Would Love To Read A Review Of Your Cruise In Alaska. You Are A Great Advertisement For Cruising.

Have A Great Day!!!

Shirley

Great review, we loved Fantasy when we sailed her last month!

Do they still have the ship models at the entrance to the two main dining rooms?
Yes, they also have a ship model made out of Legos at the main floor entrance to the Universe Lounge.

Unlike the newer ships, the keys to the cabins are not the Sail and Sign cards, they are those awkward long things with holes punched in them. Harder to fit in your wallet.

Hello everyone and many thanks for all the nice things you've said about the review. There have been a bunch more questions & comments since I was on here last, so I'll try to answer them in the order they were submitted. I'm really happy to do it so don't worry about asking more questions or for specifics and details.

cvrap: We didn't do the valet parking b/c we had a Car Service deliver us to the port. I did see signs for the valet service though and it looked pretty simple. The biggest complaint I've seen is the long wait to get your car back after you disembark. I'll tell you more about disembarkation in my reply to cubdaddy. It may help with your valet inquiry.

cubdaddy: We too were on the Empress deck and it's the best deck to be on. You are right there near the restaurants, info/purser's desk, discos, etc.... We used the stairs the entire trip so no waiting for elevators. I wouldn't hold your breath for that suite upgrade. We were upgraded 2 decks but never to a suite. I'm afraid it's extremely rare to go from Ocean View to Suite. The ship was packed too so I don't even think there were any open suites anyway.

Also, we were on the 4-night cruise to Nassau and HMC. We didn't go to Grand Turk. As for disembarkation, it went really easily for us. We left our luggage outside the door the night before we got back to port. You just have to have it outside your room before midnight and they'll take it and make sure it's waiting for you when you get off the ship.

Here are the keys to avoiding the disembarkation nightmares you've heard about. First, don't try to be one of the first people off the ship. They'll tell you to be lined up by 8:00 am but that's when they start letting people off. Take your time and have a leisurely breakfast. Don't even think about getting in line before 8:30 or 8:45. Also, you'll see people waiting in line for 3 or 4 decks on the aft stairwell. Don't just be part of the herd and get behind these people. Take the elevator down to the bottom level where the line ends. There are people feeding into these stairwells from all levels so nobody is going to care that you get in line on the bottom level. You won't be the only one, trust me.

Still, we started 2 stairwells up b/c we didn't know any better and were off the ship in about 15 minutes. It may seem longer since you're toting your carry-ons and standing in line but it's not. Our luggage was waiting for us and the guy at Customs took about 20 seconds to review our Passports. Remember, you need your Sail & Sign card to disembark. If you don't have it, you'll be held up while they check you out manually.

The moral: Get there early to get on the ship. Take your time getting off the ship.

1timecruiser: Yes, you'll definitely want to find the phone place we used. So easy, so cheap. There's a lady who has a desk with stools around it. There are like four regular cordless phones in front of her. You tell her what number you want to call and she even dials for you. When the party on the other lines answers, she asks them to hold and passes the phone to you. Then she starts the timer. When I was done, I handed her $2 cash and that was it. A goldmine find in Nassau.

sammie: Your sail & sign is a separate card from your room key. The room keys are those old plastic ones with holes punched in them in a configuration that matches the lock. You have to insert your key all the way, open the door, then remove the key. It's not the newer swipe-style the newer ships have. No green light blinks to tell you the door is unlocked. Oh, here's another tip. Lock your door with the extra deadbolt when inside. The room attendant entered ours without knocking b/c he thought we weren't there. Luckily, we were just standing there talking.

Shirley / shooshoo: Thank you so much for the kind words. You'll have an unbelievable time, trust me. There is absolutely nothing on a cruise to get really upset about. Most of the negative comments and stories on these boards are likely situations which were exagerrated by heightened emotions. The nightmare of the Sensation's first voyage after drydock may be the exception. Since then, I've seen no real problems other than rough seas preventing a tender. Sure, you're going to pay high prices for drinks, excursions, and massages, but it won't bother you if you expect it. And yes, you'll wait in the occasional line but there are 2,500 people on these ships. Everybody can't be taken first.

As for Alaska, it sounds great but I'm afraid that trip won't be soon. I'm a fan of the Caribbean and I'll likely stick with it for a few years. There are still some places I haven't been... and a few I'd like to go back to.

Also, I want to apologize for a ridiculous spelling error I made on my OP. I think I spelled Lido as Ledo. We have a bar in Columbus called Ledo's Lounge and that must have been stuck in my mind. I'm sure that was annoying to some.

Enjoy your cruises everyone. Be sure to tell us about them when you get back.

I Loved Your Review. Very Entertaining. I Must Say It Is The Best I Have Ever Read.

We Are Booked For November 13th Out Of New Orleans On The Fantasy. There Are Four Of Us. Hope We Have As Much Fun As You Did. It Probably Has A Lot To Do With Your Positive Attitude. I Bet You Don't Let Anything Get You Down...

Shirley

PS: Shirley, I like the way you capitalize the first letter of every word. Very unique. :)

Thanks Caribbean Buckeye! I appreciate the information. It sounds like the Fantasy operates pretty much like the Imagination. We have been on the Imagination (technically) 3 times and love the Fantasy class ship.

I bet your ready to book the next one!:D

Great review, Caribbean Buckeye! Going on July 17th and this has psyched me up even more. Just curious, did you notice any tuxedos on formal night? DW and DDs are riding me to take mine, but I suspect there aren't too many worn. Thanks!

First time poster! We (me, D(19) & S(16) are going on our second cruise on Saturday. :D After our first cruise last year on the Sensation,we couldn't wait to take another. I was a little concerned when they switched us to the Fantasy, but not now. I have heard nothing but great reviews. I do have a couple of questions: The weather forecast for Grand Turk, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay show scattered or isolated thunder storms next week. Should we worry about not getting to some ports? And secondly, we did not book any excursions. Are we able to just go to the beach and walk around the islands on our own without having to spend money? These boards are great. If anyone has some pictures of the Fantasy or Half Moon Cay, Nassau, or Grand Turk to share, that would be awesome.

is Nassau (the port, Atlantis and the Straw Market).

Hope ya'll enjoy...

Sensation 4/18/05...if you think you're grinning ear to ear now, just wait until you are actually there. It is even more beautiful then the picture can show! Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

2111819770_Nassau2.JPG.53c3a4560d01a5a75a0d5ffcaad4b6de.JPG

328226094_Nassau-Atlantis.JPG.ba569a78c96bf2488727470085e3155b.JPG

390710060_Nassau-StrawMarket.JPG.c4f0a679f762372058abed8c19122ee6.JPG

MiamiU KA: Don't bother with the tux. I think I might have seen two on formal night. Seriously, the tuxes looked more out of place than anything. Most guys were wearing suits or sportcoats. The majority did dress up though. Everyone looked good.

Sensation4/18/05: Don't worry at all about the weather forecast showing scattered thunderstorms. That's what it always says in the Caribbean b/c they always have these flash downpours that move in and out quickly. We had the same forecast and the only time we saw rain was in HMC. It was a beautiful day and then this dark cloud moved in, poured for less than an hour, and then things cleared up again. Your only concern would be if some type of Tropical Storm was in the area at the time of your cruise, and I don't think that will be the case.

As for excursions, you absolutely don't have to book anything to enjoy the beach in Half Moon Cay. We didn't even end up getting a clamshell on the beach b/c we either snorkeled or floated on mats in the water. No waves in HMC at all! If you change your mind once you get there, there are countless options in Nassau and HMC once you get to shore. Just be careful with the non-Carnival excursions offered in Nassau. Use your instincts if you decide to go with someone else. Be very aware of what time you need to be back on the ship. Like I said in my review, our excursion got back over an hour late. Luckily, I had a 2 hour cushion on the backside of the excursion. We were in Nassau until 7pm.

Be sure to write a review when you get back! :)

Archived