Newark airport????

croman02

Docs for our July 12 Gems of the Baltic arrived last week. We are flying from Boston to Newark, Newark to Copenhagen on Continental. Haven't been in the Newark airport---how is it? What are the distances between gate? Haven't flown Continental either. Any experienced comments??

Can`t tell you how far your gates are apart, there are a couple of terminals and several concourses in each terminal, but the airport itself is fine. In the International terminal there is a large food court if you need a snack or drink before you leave. Continental is my airline of choice flying to Europe. I use them every year to England. The food is fine, they will serve dinner and then a light b/fast before landing. Also there will be one or two movies shown...jean:cool:

PS if you are a member of Delta FF miles club, you can use your card on Continental

Congrats on having your Docs!!

There is no non-stop from Boston to Copenhagen so your routing is as convenient as any other might be. You would have to connect in Europe or U.S......so it's okay. What is your routing for coming home? Where does your cruise end?

Assuming there is a decent interval for connection time in Newark, you should have an easy routing.

good luck and enjoy.

If you have to change terminals, there is a monorail. It is fun to ride. There are also motorized vehicles to transport you from one gate to another in and between concourses. Newark is an easy airport. And we use Continental mostly because we are from the New York/New Jersey area. So enjoy.

I practically lived in this airport and flew Continental everywhere. I always feel more comfortable on a U.S. carrier than not. The monorail makes it easy to get anywhere in this airport in a matter of minutes. It also connects to the train to Penn Station in NYC, making it a convenient and inexpensive way to get to a NYC port, even Brooklyn.

Newark Liberty In'tl. is a great airport, much nicer than JFK and LGA, IMO! I flew Continental from LAX to Amsterdam via EWR last month and am doing the same next month. Some of their domestic flights (at least mine from LAX) arrive at a different teminal than the one from which the international flights leave from. Can't beat the monorail, moving walkways, large food courts, stores you name it. Have a great trip and cruise!

Assuming the Boston to Newark leg is also Continental, you will be arriving in Newark at Terminal C and departing also from Terminal C, so no need to take the monorail, which is called Air Train. You should have no problem navigating terminal C as everything is clearly marked. Enjoy.

I agree with Iggyfly. When I used to live in Charlotte, NC I flew to Europe several times on business on Continental. We flew from Charlotte to Newark and had a 100 yard walk to the gate for our flight to the UK.

Continental has very nice trans-Atlantic service, IMO better than US Airways, British Airways or Alitalia. I did, however, fly either business or 1st Class, so I can't comment on Continental's coach class cabin. BA and US Air coach is extremely cramped for that long of a flight.

Assuming the Boston to Newark leg is also Continental, you will be arriving in Newark at Terminal C and departing also from Terminal C, so no need to take the monorail, which is called Air Train. You should have no problem navigating terminal C as everything is clearly marked. Enjoy.

Unfortunately, not so. Most of Continental's domestic flights arrive in Termainal C, their terminal; but a few, including most of the flights from Boston, arrive at Terminal A. Today's nonstop to CPH (and, presumably, yours as well) is from Terminal C; so you may have to change terminals and go through security in Newark as well as Boston.

We can't comment on the leg room of Continental's CPH flight. On our trip to Copenhagen, we flew coach on SAS, which was great.

Many thanks for all the helpful replies!! I am feeling much more relaxed about the trip. Our flight from Boston is on Continental as well as the one from Newark to Copenhagen. It would be great if it was all in the same terminal. My husband has to have a wheelchair or electric cart for long distances, could do the 100 yards, no problem. Our schedule calls for about an hour and a half between flights.

Coming home we are on SAS from Copenhagen to Dulles and then to Boston on United. I sure like connecting in US instead of abroad. We had a terrible experience in Paris last year.

Just checked the airport map and it seems all Continental flights from Boston do come into Terminal A and we will have to get to Terminal C for our flight to Copenhagen.

Contact Continental IMMEDIATELY, explain the wheelchar situation, and see what they can do. With luck, they'll take you from terminal to terminal on a go-cart, maybe even on the tarmac, and you won't have to worry about going from one terminal to the other on your own. Failing that, maybe someone (Blue Whale) can let you know whether the monorail is inside or outside the security area.

The Air Train (monorail) is outside security as it also connects the 3 terminals to the rental car lot, parking garages, and Amtark/NJ Transit station. The advice to call the airline is a very good suggestion. Yours is a very routine request.

I had not been through newark for years, and never on an international flight. We just flew in from Copenhagen on Continental today, planning to continue on to Ft. Meyers. The flight from Copenhagen was delayed for more than 1-1/2 hours, and in spite of being able to get the luggage and get through customs quickly, we missed the connection. There was nothing available until tomorrow morning, so Continental is putting us up at Howard Johnson, with meal vouchers.

Getting around the airport was easy. After leaving the Continental desk, we had to take an elevator up to get the air train, take it one stop and then an elevator down to the shuttle bus. There were helpful people wherever needed. We were able to roll the luggage cart onto the airtrain, which made handling luggage a breeze.

We flew out to London on Continental through Cleveland. We checked the luggqge in Ft. Myers and never saw it again until London. it should be the same when checking in at Boston. Coming back, though, you have to claim the baggage at the first domestic airport, go through customs and then recheck the bags, but that is done just a short distance from the customs exit and your bags will already have transfer tags on them for Boston.

We were on a 757-200. It's not the most comfortable for a long flight, but I've been on a lot worse...

We're sorry your flight was delayed, Grumpy, and you missed your connection. The weather has been wretched all day on the entire east coast. What's amazing is not the fact that the plane was 90 minutes late, but the fact that the connection wasn't late.

We hope you have an OK stay tonmight at the airport, and that your flight home tomorrow goes smoothly.

Isn't Copenhagen a wonderful place!

Having visited Copenhagen makes almost any travel delay worth it IMO. We LOVE Copenhagen and have had wonderful stays there.

Hope your flight is smooth and easy tomorrow.

Having visited Copenhagen makes almost any travel delay worth it IMO. We LOVE Copenhagen and have had wonderful stays there.

Hope your flight is smooth and easy tomorrow.

More people seem to think that way; someone even wrote a song about it;)

Archived