Which credit card for frequent flyer miles?

Hello,

My wife and I have been using Delta/American Express cards to accumulate frequent flyer miles. We are having increasing difficulty with being able to use the miles. We always call the day the seats become available (330 I think) but are still not having much luck. In years past we have done pretty good with getting FF seats but it appears they are making fewer and fewer seats available. We have also tried to book through Delta's partner lines but with little success. We are wondering if there may better card to use for FF miles. Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your replys.

I am an American Airlines frequent flier and have been for many years. I use the Citibank Advantage Visa Card. I am beginning to think that there is only one seat to a plane now. It is next to impossible to get a seat when you want it. Even with a three day leeway.

I also call 330 days out at 12 midnight and within seconds they are gone. Last ones I had were to Puerto Rico. I had the flights from Nevada to Miami, and Miami to Puerto Rico. To get home, I had to buy my flights from Puerto Rico to Miami. They were all gone they said. This was about 5 minutes after 12 midnight after they opened up. :mad: Then they gave me the flight from Miami to Nevada on my miles. It was a flight, so they took the same amount of miles from us for both ways. :(

I am hoping to get free tickets next year to Puerto Rico. I have already counted back wards and have the date to call circled on my calendar.:mad:

I have to add. Years ago we never had a problem getting the free tickets.

Alaska Air actually has a pretty good program, provide you live where they fly....

It's through Bank of America and does have an annual fee of $75. You get one companion fare a year (your campanion flies for $50 plus tax). On Alaska Air flights, RT is available for 20,000 miles, they partner with American and Delta for 25,000 miles. American tickets for milage are available on their website... It is very easy to find flights for mileage.

We also have an Am Ex (Delta) card and have had a very hard time finding flights available recently.

I have Alaska, have tried others that sounded good such a Citibank etc. and went back to Alaska. Not only is the flight avalablility good, there are lots of opportunities to earn mileage through car repairs, grocery shopping, restaurants etc. It's the best! I also have the $75 a year platunium that gives the $50 companion fare ticket.

Jenn

I am hearing that the Starwood point program is the best out there for trans continental upgrades. There are some procedured needed, and the best way to discouver how they operate, is to get online with "first class flyers dot com" and follow the prompts to join. Once there, they have a staff that will help you, within their ability, to teach you how to fly first class..............anywhere!!!:) :)

Rick

Starwod AMEX is the best unless there is some kind of double point promotion going on another card. Every 20,000 starwood points transfers to any airline as 25,000 miles. You get the 5,000 bonus points and the flexibility of transferring to any airline.

Funny, I was just talking about this to someone today. We booked a cruise on the Monarch for March and are FINALLY cashing in points on a friend's AA account. She has so many points and has NEVER been able to cash them in. I actually cancelled my account since I could never find a flight. So, we are totally excited that there are actually flights available.

I know people who have an MBNA account through Wachovia that can always get flights. Also, I have heard good things about Capital One, but point usage is based upon ticket price.

With you in the US, i actually suggest you don't use an american program (but use an american creditcard).

I suggest you use the Aeroplan Mastercard.

https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=M1AF&mc=A00000205T

$60 annual fee

1 mile per US Dollar

Short Haul Flights from 15,000 Miles

Full North American Flights from 35,000

You can earn Aeroplan status miles on United Airlines, US Airways, and America West (as well as the other star alliance partners). Elite status requires less flying than any american program. If you acheive elite status from flying, your star alliance gold will let you into United and US lounges, as well as priority boarding and E+ seats.

best things -

you are not competing with US/UA customers for those seats on the US Domestic flights, you are competing with Air Canada customers. There is very little demand for these flights, and you can usually get any US Domestic flights you want.

you have a choice of two (three if you count America West) airlines in the US.

Aeroplan is run as a seperate company from Air Canada, so if the airline goes belly up, your miles won't be useless

Two worst things-

You pay air taxes on reward miles

fees if you book on the phone.

all taxes/fees in CAD.

This is a good topic. I don't try so much for the free tickets as I do for the first class upgrades. I've had good luck upgrading on Alaska Airlines (although their first class isn't all that exciting) Hawaiian airlines if you book waaaaaaay in advance (their first class is wonderful)

I just got a citi bank American Airlines and hoping to do first class upgrades from the west coast to Florida. Anyone have any advice or experience with this?

I tried Delta years ago and never did get to use the miles and thought it was a waste.

I have 2 Capitol One cards - 1 for personal use and 1 for business use. Last year, DH and I flew to Vancouver on my miles. So easy: I did some research on the flights, first. Then, I called their Miles Plus program and the very nice man and I booked the flights, using both cards. (BTW, you can book the flight, yourself, and they'll credit your card, or they'll book the flights for you and just debit the miles used.) We talked a bit about the reason I was going to Vancouver (for a Radiance cruise to Alaska). Then next day, the man called and left a message, "I think you booked the flight home for the wrong day." I thought he was nuts, since he didn't book the cruise - only the flight - until I looked at the Itinerary on line! :eek: OMG, he was right! I called and, because it was within 24 hours, they changed our flights for free! :D Seriously, isn't that just great??? What would I have done with a flight that left while I was cruising the Inland Passage?

No annual fee, no hassles, GREAT customer service! Of course, now I use my RCI Visa, for any RCI purchases, but everything else goes on Cap One. I'm planning on using the miles for next year's Med. Love 'em!

PS: No, I don't work for Cap One. They're not even a client.

I have Citi AAdvantage and I have never had a problem getting a seat. I have used miles to Hawaii, Vancouver, Chicago and for our upcoming trip to Miami for our cruise. I even got a seat on a sold out flight. A nice Aadvantage rep somehow got me a seat with no mileage seats left. She wouldn't tell me how she did it, but she did and I had even tried before I spoke to her.

p.s. I also bank with Citibank and my debit card is linked to Aadvantage as well. So everytime I use my debit card I get $1 per mile for that as well.

We use both the British Airways Executive club to collect airmiles when flying and their credit card.

Admittedly it is mainly used to collect and take international flights, but it is also linked with American Airlines and I have used airmiles for a free national flight with them too.

You can check it out on the BA website, think you can earn with AA too.

As AMEX DL SM member since 2000, we have flown for 70,000 to Maui every year til last year. I phoned March 2006 to book Feb 16 2007 & DL wants 140,000 miles for both of us to fly to Maui not 70,000 as the years past. FORGET IT - I will sell our oceanview suite at Embassy.

I book in March 2005 for a flight Feb 15 2006. It was CLE-SLC-OGG. We arrive at airport, had the online check in so you scan the sheet's code at the kiosk & give luggage to FC attendant. We had seat assignment 11 months up front as always. We are paged & a suited gent tells us that we used FF miles so we are bumped off the flight. It is an 80 seat plane to SLC, and 120 folks are booked. I phoned AMEX NYC on my cell & raised hell & sure enough the phone rang telling him we are on a flight to Maui. SO we are called up to the desk, my husband laughing how I get action, and he has us FC to ATL, then nonstop to OGG arriving at 9:30PM not 3PM as booked. So again I phoned AMEX NYC to tell them thanks for getting us to our Embassy Suites timeshare (which is for sale, email me if interested). I tell them what we got & he apologizes, gives me my $55 membership fee for 2006-2007 & $85 credit on our account for what DL didn't give us for free during long waits to board flights. SO I am sticking thru March 2007 then I plan to switch to AMEX BLUE. No annual fee or user fee, fees off flights if not free with points. Good on ANY airline.

Amex give great coverage for fraudelent charges as well as good warranty extensions for purchases, something even RCCL Platinum Plus doesn't as I learned when I bought a clothes dryer 2 weeks ago & called them to register it for the 5 year warranty extension Platinum Plus card holder get. They state MBNA dropped it in 2005.

With all the financial problems in the airline industry and high fuel costs, I think it's going to get harder and harder to use miles for tickets. We actually got lucky twice in the past 18 months. The wife and I flew free to San Juan in 05', and I just got THREE free tickets to Miami for our next cruise!!:) I was amazed we found 3 award seats on one flight. Our miles balances are way down now, and we'll likely concentrate future credit card usage for points in the HiltonHHonors program. Love those free hotel rooms too:D

I have 2 Capitol One cards - 1 for personal use and 1 for business use. Last year, DH and I flew to Vancouver on my miles. So easy: I did some research on the flights, first. Then, I called their Miles Plus program and the very nice man and I booked the flights, using both cards. (BTW, you can book the flight, yourself, and they'll credit your card, or they'll book the flights for you and just debit the miles used.) We talked a bit about the reason I was going to Vancouver (for a Radiance cruise to Alaska). Then next day, the man called and left a message, "I think you booked the flight home for the wrong day." I thought he was nuts, since he didn't book the cruise - only the flight - until I looked at the Itinerary on line! :eek: OMG, he was right! I called and, because it was within 24 hours, they changed our flights for free! :D Seriously, isn't that just great??? What would I have done with a flight that left while I was cruising the Inland Passage?

No annual fee, no hassles, GREAT customer service! Of course, now I use my RCI Visa, for any RCI purchases, but everything else goes on Cap One. I'm planning on using the miles for next year's Med. Love 'em!

PS: No, I don't work for Cap One. They're not even a client.

I didn't look at the name of the poster as I was scrolling from bottom. I thought, I've heard this story before. We're using AA miles (FINALLY) to go on the cruise with you!

We of course have the MBNA RCCL card, but also have AMEX Starwood card, you can get a room for less points than an airline ticket. We stayed at a great Westin before our last cruise for nothing. Great perk.

Archived