Crown Princess: Show Theater Seating?

Jon&Cheryl

Now that we're getting some feedback from people who have sailed on the Crown...

Question: I'm hearing speculation that the theater (for evening shows) is not large enough to accomodate all of the passengers wanting to see the evening shows - even with 2 shows per night. I've heard discussion that people need to arrive UP TO AN HOUR early to get seats. What is your experience?

Thanks - Jon

I am very concerned about the theatre seating too. There are only 800 seats in the showroom for 3,080 passengers. That means in 2 shows just about half of the people can see the show. I was on the RC MOS which is a similar sized ship and it's theatre is much larger than the theatre on the Crown.

I had heard from my TA, however, that because Princess has other simultaneous entertainment options such as MUTS and the various lounges that Princess believes it's really not a problem.

Anyone who's been on the CB, which has a very similar set-up, care to comment?

None of the theaters on the Grand class ships can handle the passenger load. If you want to see a show get there 30-45 minutes early for your choice of seats. I have sailed on the Grand class multiple times and have never had a problem if I got there early enough.

This talk about getting there 1 hour or more ahead of time is rubbish. :)

None of the theaters on the Grand class ships can handle the passenger load. If you want to see a show get there 30-45 minutes early for your choice of seats. I have sailed on the Grand class multiple times and have never had a problem if I got there early enough.

I appreciate any advance warning about this, as I usually enjoy going to the shows.

Your "scoffing" at getting there 60 minutes early, but advising 45 minutes as no big deal amuses me, Colo Cruiser.;)

None of the theaters on the Grand class ships can handle the passenger load. If you want to see a show get there 30-45 minutes early for your choice of seats.
I have sailed the Caribbean Princess twice and the Grand once and here's the only place where I can really see the difference of the added deck. But if you use you're time wisely you'll take Coco Cruiser's advise and use it to unwind and enjoy a Chocolate Banana :)

My concern is that my party of eight has the late dinner seating. I'm not sure we'll have time to get to the theater early since the late show probably starts at 10:30p and that is what time dinner will most likely end.

For reference, here is how the Grand class (and Diamond/Sapphire) ships compare in terms of theater capacity:

Grand: Theater holds 28.8% of passengers (theater capacity 748, ship capacity 2600)

Golden/Star: 27.5% (715/2600)

Diamond/Sapphire: 26.4% (705/2670)

Crown: 26.0% (800/3080)

Caribbean: 24.1% (746/3100)

The Crown is nearly identical in capacity ratio to the Diamond/Sapphire and close to the Golden/Star.

I appreciate any advance warning about this, as I usually enjoy going to the shows.

Your "scoffing" at getting there 60 minutes early, but advising 45 minutes as no big deal amuses me, Colo Cruiser.;)

I was just dying to use that term "rubbish" somewhere in one of my posts. :)

I'm anxiously awaiting the returning passengers on the Crown tomorrow for the great (hopefully!) reviews to start coming.

It shouldn't be long now before we learn just how wonderful the Crown really is.

During my February cruise on the Caribbean Princess, we had no trouble getting seats for the second show. We'd arrive about 15 minutes early, right after we finished dinner. In fact, about 6 of us from the same table usually sat together about half-way back.

Considering this was a President's Day holiday sailing, and the ship was packed - I was frankly surprised and pleased that theater seating was far easier to get than a lounger!

We just returned from the Crown's Inaugural sailing.

We had no problem with seating in the Princess Theatre. We ate Personal Choice so we'd go to the dining room at 6:30 P.M. We'd go to the theatre around 8:10-8:15 P.M., and always got good seats.

We also got off the Crown on Friday. If there is specific place you want to sit or prefer an aisle seat, you need to be there 25-30 minutes before showtime. Other wise 15-20 minutes will do. Our favorite place to sit was the 2nd row of the upper section. Never been a fan of floor seating and looking up, middle section was pretty flat and hard for kids/shorter people to see and the front row of the upper section had the rail in the way.

Since we ate at 8:15, we'd always go to the 10:30 show and the CD had mentioned the earlier shows filled up faster. No problem at all for any of the later shows w/the exception of the Crew Talent Show and only b/c there was 1 show only. We often got out of dinner at 10:30 or close to it, and found seats, so don't worry too much about getting there early.

Now, the shows in Explorer's Lounge were a different story...that is too small a venue for the shows they were putting on there, the only saving grace is that they were usually done 3 times per night. Would advise getting to that lounge 30 minutes early if there is something you want to see.

I agree mostly with allyfl. We went to the 8:30 showing mostly and showed up no earlier than 8:15 and was always able to find 4 seats together. If you want to pick your seats and you want to be up close you should probably either get there by 8:00 or wait for the 10:30 show when there was usually pleanty of empty seats. The theatre is pleanty big. Even though it's only 800 seats they have so many shows going on at once in other areas of the ship you don't "need" to be at the theatre to see a good show.

As far as Merion_Mom's question, the theatre does has theatre style seating. The explorer's lounge has round tables and chairs with a few couches set up around the outside. Much smaller venue and it was always full. The comedians and musicians they had there were great! The Crown definitely had some top notch entertainment I thought.

Archived