Digital Camera Help!!

I use a Canon 20d SLR with a 18-200mm lens. It is a bit pricey but takes great photos and with the zoom lens it is optical(not digital), so no degradation of the pics. On max resolution I can blow up to 3' X 3' with no loss in quality. But understand it costs about $2000.00. I also use a Canon A620 for portability and it also does fine but I dont like the digital zoom.

Price on the Canon 20D has dropped since they came out with the new 30D.

Now cost about $1395 on sale to about $1495 with the one lens.

Only difference between the two cameras is the LCD display size, larger LCD display on the 30D.

Two pieces of advice I can offer is to buy extra memory for the camera, and shoot at the highest resolution the camera offers. Granted it will take up memory but when photoshopping your pictures later, you can do your cropping and color/balance/levels corrections without any degredation to the quality of the pix.

I have a 2-gig microdrive in my Sony and I pretty much fill it up every day on vacation, and on occasion found myself back in my cabin to download all the pix to my laptop, reformating the memory stick, then back on deck. Now that memory is coming down in price I'll probably get a second 2-gig drive.

Treven,

A little bit of info that might be helpful to you. If you can, buy a larger gig card and don't rely on the micro-drive. They are very susceptible to shock and heat. If you accidently drop one you can lose everything on it and destroy the media inside. It is a mini hard drive so it has to spin and this causes huge power consumption to the battery. You are much better off with the card type.

I'm assuming you are looking to buy a D50? I use one everyday for work. I love it. I also have a Nikon F2 and a Contax RTS 35mm slrs that I never use anymore. Both were high end models in their day and the D50 is right up there with them as for as features go. I have never used a D70 so I can't compare the two for you but if you are just looking to move up from a P&S you will be more than satified with the D50. It takes pictures instantly when you push the shutter and has continuous mode that shoots at 2.5 fps. I usually use the shutter priority exposure and the AF but switch to manual focus when using a flash indoors as sometimes the AF can get fooled by stark white walls and such. I use a 18-55mm and 70-300mm lens all day long. Since both cameras use the same lenses the main difference between the two will be nitpicky features that may or may not be worth the extra money to you. I believe you will be beside yourself with satisfaction whichever model you choose. Just make sure you get genuine Nikon lenses and don't let someone talk you into Tamron or Sigma lenses to save money. You can tell the difference in your pix.

Thanks for the info. It looks like a great camera.

I'm assuming you are looking to buy a D50? I use one everyday for work. I love it. I also have a Nikon F2 and a Contax RTS 35mm slrs that I never use anymore. Both were high end models in their day and the D50 is right up there with them as for as features go. I have never used a D70 so I can't compare the two for you but if you are just looking to move up from a P&S you will be more than satified with the D50. It takes pictures instantly when you push the shutter and has continuous mode that shoots at 2.5 fps. I usually use the shutter priority exposure and the AF but switch to manual focus when using a flash indoors as sometimes the AF can get fooled by stark white walls and such. I use a 18-55mm and 70-300mm lens all day long. Since both cameras use the same lenses the main difference between the two will be nitpicky features that may or may not be worth the extra money to you. I believe you will be beside yourself with satisfaction whichever model you choose. Just make sure you get genuine Nikon lenses and don't let someone talk you into Tamron or Sigma lenses to save money. You can tell the difference in your pix.
For my first DSLR, I just bought the D50, yesterday in fact. I got it with the dual kit Nikkor lenses 18-55 and 55-200. I can't wait to start messing with it. I need to learn everything I can before my Med cruise in August. There might be 1 or 2 good photo ops there ;) .

Archived