Church in Klaipeda

We are on the Constellation July 1 Cruise, and are in port in Klaipeda on Sunday, July 9th. Does anyone know if there is an Orthodox Church there? I realize that Lithuania is predominantly Roman Catholic, but thought that with it having been a part of the former USSR, that the remaning Russians might have a church in town. All I can find in the guide books about Klaipeda is about two paragraphs, and churches are not mentioned. Thanks.

We just returned from the Constellation June 3 sailing and we were in Klaipeda on a Sunday. I did not see an Orthodox church, but I did not go looking for one.

We had a particularly pleasant day there because they had a handicraft fair set up. I think they do this on weekends, or perhaps whenever a cruise ship heaves over the horizon. But on the dock right outside the ship they have little boys and girls doing native dances as you walk under waving banners being held by teenagers. They hand you a map showing the easy walk to the fair. We bought a number of souveniers there and had a very pleasant day.

Scott

There is a Russian Orthodox Church on the corner of Liepu and Trilapio gatve, at the corner of the Sculpture Park. When Lithuania came under the control of Communist Russia, all openly practiced religious events ceased. Prior to that, the country was primarily Roman Catholic and Lutheran.

The craft market, along the Dane River is a wonderful place to purchase local crafts and enjoy a traditional Lithuanian food or beverage. The Museum of Lithuanian Minor houses objects found by archeologists, old maps, photographs and post cards of the city. The ethnographic exhibits depict the lifestyle of the local people, their traditions and their Germanic relations.

Darcy

Archived