Which one? West or East Caribbean?? Please

West does the Costa Maya, Cancun, Cozumel (aka Mexico), maybe Jamaica and Bahamas, itinerary, and East has several different islands, depending on the ship, number of days, etc. If you have never cruised either of these destinations, then look up the itineraries, then the ports of call on the "ports..." thread here. You will find different sites to see, activities to enjoy, etc., and that should help you make a decision.

The West is usually a little cheaper than the east, and you may get more "at sea" days because the ships don't have to travel as far (depending on the embarkation port, of course).

I have done both several times and have enjoyed every single port I have been in (well, with one exception, but the ships don't go there now), and so I think it is a personal choice. Snorkeling in Cancun and Cozumel is great, but then it is on many eastern islands as well.

Our 1st cruise was to the Eastern Caribbean (Key West, Nassau & Freeport Bahamas) and I didn't really enjoy the ports of call, but maybe that was just me.

Our 2nd cruise was to the Western Caribbean (Belize, Rotan Honduras, Grand Cayman Island & Cozumel) and we had a great time at all the islands.

It is just a matter of what you prefer...it seemed the Western Route was more active than the Eastern...but then again it is my opionion.

Just my 2 cents...It's been my observation that the younger you are the more you enjoy Western...more of a party atmosphere...beautiful beaches with opportunites for more vigorous activity.

Eastern is more laid back..scenery..beautiful beaches..more 'upscale'type shopping.

We are 50-somethings and prefer Eastern..(annual trip)but we tack a Western on about every other year and have a great time! Mexico and Central America are gorgeous!

I've also done both: Western 3 times and Eastern twice. I personally prefer the Eastern. I enjoy the mountains and scenery as well as the great snorkeling and sailing on the Eastern side. Plus, while in San Juan and St. Thomas, we can use our cell phones to call home.

After a while, all the ports tend to look the same. But my perception is that the Eastern route is a little more exotic, especially if you make it farther down south. You get a lot of islands with different owners or heritage (French, English, Dutch, etc) and there seems to be more sights and shopping and cultural attraction. There's good swimming and snorkeling there as well.

West you are likely to do Mexico, Jamaica, Caymans, with perhaps some of the other islands thrown in. As others have said, the snorkeling in Mexico and Caymans is great, but to me it just doesn't feel as exotic as the Eastern routes.

I've done Eastern twice. The further south you go, the more exotic. I didn't care for the Bahamas. But I love St. Thomas, and St. John. Loved Dominica and Dominican Republic. Loved Barbados. We swam and snorkled on both cruises. Lots of shopping. Beautiful Beaches. Rainforests. Lots of really neat places.

Good luck in your decision. You'll love whatever you choose.

We are taking a Western this year and are very excited!

Just have fun.

I agree that the West can be more "active".

I think the East can be "easier" for a first timer or for people who do NOT want to do "adventure" type stuff

From what I have seen, the "exotic" west pretty much means you need an excursion : ie, Belize, Roatan are not places to wander around yourself, and neither is Jamiaca really. For that reason I personally find the East cheaper.

The east has mostly Piers : walk off ship, shop, eat, get a tour at the pier,

take a cab to a beach.

The west has more tender stops it seems.

I think both are great.

For a first time person,

for people with small children, someone who wants less hassle and is NOT into the more extreme stuff, older people, I would honestly say "East". East has the "Carribean" stuff you think of : beaches, pirate stuff, conch fritters, steel bands, shopping etc.

IF you are into Mayan Ruins, diving, active stuff like cave tubing and "zip lining' etc then the West may be the best (tho some eastern island are adding zip lines)....Jamaica is an experience all it's own and so is Mexico...really different cultures etc

Either way you will have a ball. You will probably be ready to book a 2nd cruise to the other "direction" when you return haha

Another vote for Eastern here. I've done both twice and give the edge the eastern routes...which include St. Thomas and St. Maarten. For me those two islands have more to offer than any place I've been in the western.

Archived