Need help with Alesund Geirangerfjord, Norway excursion:From onboard the Jewel

Talk about last minute. I left my Norway port activities to the last minute. The Alesund, Geiranger Norway port activity is full and I am trying to work this out on my own. Does anyone know how one gets the ferry between Hellesylt and Geiranger or does any of this on one's own. I have been doing a Google search in vain and with the extremely slow and expensive internet service on board am getting nowhere.

If there is anyone who can give me any information or any websites that I can get information on in the next few days I will be very appreciative.

If you really are talking about the ferry, you do not need it. The ferry takes the same way your ship does. The second stop is just to pick up the guests from the overland tour.

Now if you want to know what to do on shore on your own:

It is hard, if not impossible, to mimic the overland tour from Geiranger to Hellesylt on your own.

In Geiranger you can visit the church and the Nowegian Fjord Center or hike to various farms.

The ferry's page is here.

The ferries leave Geiranger at:-

They also leave Hellesylt at exactly the same times.

The single adult fare is NOK 98. The return adult fare is NOK 115. The page expressly says "Tickets are sold at embarkation."

But carlmm is right - you will see pretty much all of the ferry route from the ship, anyway, if you're out on deck.

Thanks, that helps a lot.Any suggestions of what we should do then if we dont take the ferry?

You have been a big help.

The major view point of Geiranger Fjord is at Dalsnibba, which is at the other end of the fjord from Hellesylt. There is a "kodak moment" on the way from the fjord to Dalsnibba that is the view featured in every travel brochure of the fjords of Norway. However, check to see if the road up Dalsnibba is open. When we were there in July, we were told that the road was still covered with snow through the end of June that year. There was still snow on the ground, and glacial snow on surrounding mountains.

Archived