Copenhagen Jazz Festival July 7-16

Does anyone have any experience with the Copenhagen Jazz Festival? We'll be there on Wednesday 12 July. The program lists a number of concerts, but not necessarily locations. For example, we'd like to know where the "Street Parade" will take place. Visit Copenhagen describes the Festival: "Every corner of the city vibrates with...all kinds of jazz." Does anyone know what this means: "At Nyhavn (dept. 13.20) by Harbour Boats, Frederiksholms Kanal, Christianshavns Kanal, Nyhavn"? Searched the posts and couldn't find anything. Any help, advice, or sharing of prior experience is appreciated. Thank you!

The concerts in glassalen is in Tivoli, the same with Tivolis Koncertsal and Plænen.

Other venues are Pressen at Town hall Square

The Royal Opera (aka the Toaster)

Slotsholmen (Christiansborg Castle)

Kongens Have (Rosenborg Castle)

Islands Brygge (inner habour)

Also the City Squares, cafés and other Venues are hosting the event.

We were at the Copenhagen Jazz Festival last year and there were venues to enjoy with a drink in all the main tourist spots...that square along the Stroget and at Nyhavn to name a few. You couldn't really avoid the festival. We just bought beer at the local store and sat along with the locals along the river. You could sit in the beer gardens too but we were too cheap to pay for the beer at 4 times the price. I have some pictures of the crowds at the Nyhavn and Stroget venues on my page:

http://www.hwired.com/baltic/copenhagen1.html

Here they are if you don't want to go there:

copejazz.jpg

nyhavncrowd.jpg

Andrew - your website is very well done and helpful. It must have taken some time and effort to put it all together -- a labor of love I hope. I haven't read everything yet, but have a few questions if you don't mind: for Berlin, our on-your-own shore excursion for round-trip train only from Warnemunde is $200/person, or $800 for our family. Haven't totally figured out the DIY train yet. You made Hertz appear to be a viable, more convenient solution. Would you recommend it for non-German speaking but adventurous Americans?

Considering that you have your entire family with you, I don't think there's any question whether or not you should rent a car..Absolutely! I think ours cost 60 euro and that was for a minivan..You'll not only get to where you want a lot faster but you'll have an extra $700 to spend on some Wiener Schnitzel..

We found it a relief after the previous ports where we were on tours and not able to explore the country freely. The driving was easy on the Autobahn into Berlin though Germans drive a lot faster than we do here in Canada. I just kept to the right lane most of the way. I recommend you book with Hertz and get them to have a car there when you dock...though this only pertains to whether or not you're docking where the Rotterdam docked..right outside the train station...As long as you're not going on a Sunday, you can book online through the Hertz website..Oh and yes, everyone spoke English that day including the agent at Hertz...It was the best day of our Baltic cruise. Have a great cruise and thanks for the plug for my site! andrew

Archived