What time should we plan our return flight- sailing on Fascination?

happygirl72

We are sailing on the Fascination in October. How long does it normally take to get off the ship? What time should we book our return flight home? I am not familiar with Miami so I don't even know how long it takes to get from the port to the airport. I would definitely like to hear your opinions. I don't want to miss our flight but I don't want to wait all day at the airport either. Thanks.

Miami's airport is less than half an hour from the port. I would think that any time after noon would be safe but then you never know what's going to happen. I would personally book the first flight in the afternoon that I could.

We had an 11:40 AM flight and made it with no problems, we did however use taxi's instead of Carnivals transfer, which I recomend no matter what time your flight is. We did not do self assisit and had breakfast in the dining room, you can't waste alot of time but you can do it and still enjoy your last few hours. Make sure you grab a porter to get you through the line faster-------much faster!

Let us know what you decide!

Agreed on the taxi's--- hate waiting for the bus to fill. Assuming you are flying out of MIA it's about 20 minutes by taxi and it is a fixed price of $24. Carnival doesn't like you to book flights before 11:45 but many have and it isn't usually a problem in Miami where even the stragglers (like us now that we live down here) are off well before 10!

If you are flying from Ft. Lauderdale, allow yourself an extra 30 minutes.

ENJOY!!

bill

Sailed the Fascination in January. With self assist we were off the ship, through customs (by 7:45AM) and at the airport WELL in advance of our 11:30AM flight (like by 8:30 or so). Carnival says no flights before noon. I guess that is for folks that want to sleep in and take last call off the ship. Or, I guess in case the ship gets lost on it's way back to Miami or something. I don't recommend that you book a flight before noon (though I would in a heartbeat) because then should something happen (God forbid) you are still able to make the flight. Unless you want to risk it with self assist.

Now having done both (put the luggage out for the night vs. self assist) I think we will do self assist from now on, it is SOOOO much easier. Of course, I had to learn how to pack lightly so that we didn't have any heavy suitcases, but with practice (lots of it) I've learned to pack VERY lightly for a cruise. One small carry on is all I need anymore. Of course, that took many meetings of OPA (Over Packers Anonymous) to overcome (admitting powerlessness over overpacking is really difficult) but I think I'm there :o

Hope this helps in an indirect sort of way :)

Vanessa

Vanessa, that usually will be the case. However occasionally there is a holdup with customs that delays everyone from disembarking and there's also no way to account for taffic tie-ups which are notorious on the 836, even on weekends and holidays. Therefore the 12 p.m. guideline is to be on the safe side.

We were on the Fascination 3/06 and took carry on luggage only and thus did self debarkation and were off the ship and curbside at 7am. We were at the FT. LAUDERDALE airport at 8am. Being that Miami is closer a noonish flight would be fine, perhaps even a little before but you never know so I wouldn't schedule anything too early. We pulled into port that last day around 5am and were told to be ready to get off the ship at 6:45am if we were doing self debarkation and sure enough at 6:45 am they were calling for us. It was an easy process and we got a shuttle van at the curb for $40 total the the airport. :D

with practice (lots of it) I've learned to pack VERY lightly for a cruise. One small carry on is all I need anymore. Of course, that took many meetings of OPA (Over Packers Anonymous) to overcome (admitting powerlessness over overpacking is really difficult) but I think I'm there :o

Vanessa, please share your secrets! ONE Small carry-on??? :eek:

Thanks for all of the replies. I am looking at the flights available for us, and I see a 11:35 and then the next earliest flight is around 3:00. Should I risk the earlier flight? If so, should I take a taxi? If I need to take a taxi, do I arrange that beforehand or are they just outside the terminal? Thanks. Also, it will just be DH and I on this cruise (our kids are staying home) so I think we could carry the bags ourselves if needed.

Believe it or not....one carry on. (For a 7 night) First, limit clothes. On a cruise I am in shorts, T-shirt (2 pair of shorts, 3 T shirts) or bathing suit almost all of the time. For dining room I take 2 pair of pants (both dark) and 3 blouses that mix and match all. Jewelry changes make new outfits each time. Of course, underwear for all applicable days. For make up I take 1 bottle of foundation, a small jar of rouge, my mascara and powder, all of which fit in my purse. The only hair items I take are a few scrunchies, brush, comb, and my hair spray (the ships have shampoo and conditioner). I pack 1 pair of flip-flops and one pair of neutral colored heels. I wear my tennis shoes to and from the ship so as the bulkiest, I don't have to pack them. The biggest item I have is my formal wear which consists of a long black gown and another beaded skirt and top. Folded properly they fit on top of the suitcase without fail. I found that learning to fold is the secret. I also pack 1 or 2 powerstrips (thanks CC for that pointer, it is awesome!!) We put wine or spirits in DH's suitcase as he packs less than I do.

All of this is for a week cruise. For a 3 or 4 day we can get all of our stuff (DH & I) in one carry on, though we take another folded up inside it to bring back souvenirs for our kids.

Things I don't pack; jeans, too bulky and unneeded or LOTS of shoes, also not needed, LOTS of make up or hair items (I'm on a cruise for crying out loud, not attending a State Dinner).

It goes without saying that this is for the warm climate cruises, when I went to the Med for 2 weeks I had a larger checked back for that trip.

Any questions, you can e-mail me: vanessa1963@comcast.net

Vanessa

There are a billion taxis parked outside the pier. The one way fare was $24. Unless you encounter traffic problems and you do self assist you should be able to make an 11:30 flight (we did--as I stated, at the airport MIA by 8:30) without problem.

Vanessa

On another thread, I see people talking about disembarking according to colors. Do you have to deal with this if you are taking off the bags yourself?

No you do not have to worry/be concerned with colors if you are doing self debarkation. You are off the ship first if you self debark. 3/06 we took the Fascination and were told to be ready at 6:45am to self debark, we were and were off at 7am. :D

Archived