Whales & Ships. Interesting Proposal

K&RCurt

I read a report today from our local news radio station's website. The National Marine Fisheries Service is reccomending that a speed limit of 10 knots be imposed in certain waters off the coast of the Eastern USA between Georgia and New England in order to protect the Right Whale population.

I was thinking that this might affect some cruise itineraries by limiting the ships speed, thus making it necesary to eliminate some ports. Espescially cruises to New England / Canada or to the Caribbean / Bermuda from Northern US ports.

Here's a link to the news report: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/W/WHALES_SHIP_STRIKES?SITE=KYWAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Very interesting, Keith. Thanks for the link. Yes, I would think this would cause some alteration in port departure times for itineraries sailing into these speed-restricted areas. Of course, the proposal may fail.

Or they could make the cruises longer to compensate. :) That would do nicely.

I like your attitude ruth!

BTW, you must REALLY be looking forward to Alaska to have changed from chocolate to happy wanderer already!

Archived