French Waterways Barging

AWED23

I am looking for as much information as I can get on these barges. I plan to try either the Champagne Region or the Alsace/Lorraine region. Or maybe just layover a day and do both...Their brochures look outstanding..Room size is always a concern for me so I would book a swuite I imagine....Our last river experience was with INTRAV on thr Rembrandt and it was outstanding in regards to service, cuisine, wines, tours and guides...But the French Waterway Barges intrigue me !!!...Help !!!...Thanks to all.

We did a Burgundy barge Sep 2004 run by A&K. French Country is a step up from the 20 passenger barge we took. One night we parked next to a FC barge. It looked very nice - drinks and appetizers were being served - on the deck - white table cloth, crystal etc. A peek into a window showed a cabin that was much larger than the tiny room we had.

The thing we really liked about the trip - was one primary tour guide no repeats about architecture styles also a good mix of sites - wineries, castles, historicals not church after church. Also the food was outstanding. Prefixed dinners but you could probably make your preferences known to the on board chef. If you go with a group you can tailor the trip and food to your interests.

The one downside - I have heard that because there can be only 6 or 8 on board there can be personality clashes - which can be tough if meals and tours are all communal.

Thank You very much for the information...The room size observation was truly appreciated. Next July we will be 74 and we will also take our single daughter who will be 45...So that accounts for two cabins....I am confident we will fit in one way or another...Thanks again...Rob.

Lucky You - have a great trip. Back to Back and you will have time to get the clothes cleaned. We did the barge and then a Tuscany tour - wheeled stuff to the laundry and did a couple of loads while we were between planes and trains since we had no time to send clothes to the cleaners.

• 7 months later...

A few years ago we did a wonderful cruise on the French Country Princess to the Alsace/Lorraine area. We loved it! The food, service and funny, funny crew made it a terrific experience. We had a suite which was large and very comfortable. I highly recommend it! We were six of the eight passengers--the other two became immediate friends. Hopefully, you will like it as much as we did. We will definitely do it again someday--we love cruises of all sizes and shapes.

Archived