Why Travel Oceania?

BlondyX

Hi,

I would like some input please. I have been on three cruises and am doing my 4th to Alaska in August on Celebrity. I was just visiting the Oceania website and was looking at the 2 for 1 with free air deals that they have going right now to Europe in summer of next year.

The price is almost too good to pass up, but I'm curious about Oceania itself. I've been reading some of the threads on this board and have been particularly impressed with Mr. Del Rio. I am very interested in the Greek Isles/Italy itinerary.

What kind of experience will I have on Oceania that differs from the other major Cruise lines?

I would appreciate any input that anyone might offer. I would really like to book one of these cruises, but am afraid of buyer's remorse. I guess I am looking for some convincing.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

We have been on two Oceania cruises, the last one being for 25 days. We can't say enough about the line. You will definitely not find better food on any ship! We particularly like the open seating, dine when and with whom you want. We are not "loyal" to any line and choose a cruise for a variety of reasons, but Oceania is right up there among our favorites. I don't know what you are looking for in a cruise experience, but if you like an elegant ship with extradonary food, this is for you. And the cabins are not too shabby, either!!!!:D

Esther

We've sailed on Celebrity, Oceania, Orient and Princess--and Oceania is definitely our favorite. Here's what we particularly like:

size of the ships (684 passengers)

exceptional food

specialty restaurants have no additional charge

port intensive itineraries

local tourist reps on board at each port

practically no smoking

very few children (we like children, but in small doses)

wonderful staff

I just returned from my first Oceania cruise in the Med. I've sampled most cruise lines; & Oceania is definitely in my top 3. Their itineraries being their strong suit (IMO); followed by excellent cruisine; classic ship decor & finally the dress code. It makes packing a breeze when you have no need for formal attire. I couldn't wait to book another cruise w/ O.

30+ cruises under our belts, and we thought the food on Oceania was best we have had at sea, much better than the mainstream lines, and better than Crystal.

We very much liked the small ship experience and the relaxed dress code, which simplifies the packing routine.

Downside for some, very port intensive, with small number, if any, sea days. I for one would like slightly less port intensive itineraries.

Our next Oceania cruise, Istanbul to Singapore through the Suez 11-06, does have many more sea days, which I'll like.

BlondyX,

We just returned from Rome to Istanbul on Nautica & will be happy to share any info. It is a wonderful itinerary (we prefer port intensive itineraries, with few days at sea), but I would have preferred more days in certain places (like Amalfi/Sorrento). Lo & behold.....there are some for '07 that do that. Email me if you'd like any info - I'm sort of swamped for the next week & might not have the chance to check the boards. alewis6088@aol.com - please put Nautica or Oceania in the subject box so it won't go to spam!

Everyone has their own idea of what a great cruise is - it just depends on your preferences. Oceania's main strengths are lower number of passengers (makes disembarkation in ports a lot more palatable), port intensive itineraries, higher caliber of food, casual dress, fresh, elegant decor (not tired & washed-out like some others), & more value for the money.

Peggy:) :)

We were also on the Rome to Istanbul cruise, just got home yesterday, we loved the cruise! Never really had to wait in lines except for tender ports when we had to wait for ship excursions to disembark first, excellent food and excellent service and a great itinerary, an overall grat experience. We'd sail with them again in a heartbeat.

Archived