Cruising on Sovereign in October? Questions!

Ok, so I have never cruised during peak hurricane season before. We are booked on Sov. of Seas for mid October.

I just want to know what happens if a hurricane is approaching the Bahamas or is a few hundred miles away when you are supposed to leave? Do they reroute the cruise or cancel it? Any idea where they take the ship in these situations from experiences in past?

Also, how much motion to do you feel on this ship in the rougher waters? DH is prone to motion sickness. From reviews I have read, it seems that its pretty bad...but I realize many people exaggerate.

Any help would be appreciated :)

I'm going on the Sov. of the Seas the last week in August and I would like the answers to those questions too. I was wondering about the weather and well as the questions about motion sickness (my boyfriend is prone to it). Thanks in advance for any feedback!:)

We have been on the Sovereign 3 times and she is a good sized ship so the ride is pretty good. Most of our 17 cruises have been during huricane season and not once have we been affected. The Captain will steer well clear of any storms out there and simply go to an alternate port away from the path of the storm. On a 3 or 4 day cruise the options of where to divert to are limited but there are options.

The only real disruption would be if a storm were to be predicted to hit the ships home port during embarkation or disembarkation. In that case the ship would load/unload somewhere else like Miami and bus the passengers.

Not worth getting worried about in my opinion.

Lou

In the event that a storm forms, or is heading in the same direction, the ship will be rerouted, or sent to a different itinerary. The rare ocassion a cruise would be canceled would be, say, if the port was closed. We have sailed three times in the fall. Twice on the Sovereign. One trip caught the tail end of a tropical storm. The electric doors were opening and closing on thier own and the water in the pools looked like a wave pool, there were plenty of kids enjoying that. Alot of people will say that thoose nights are the best sleep they get, because of the rocking.

My daughter has a prolbem with motion sickness and she take a non-drowsy dramamine each morning and has never had a problem. There are plenty of options/opinions for sea sickness meds and treatments.

I do recommend travel insurance, you can e-mail me for info on what I get. Always read to see what is covered, some only offer a credit for future travel, some cover all expenses. I always get one that covers trip cancellation and disruption.

Anyother questions, please let me know. mmsalmon1987@aol.com:)

Archived