What I Learned On Cruise Critic

basketsuze

I had started composing a response to the "get a life" post that's apparently been removed, but I thought it would be nice for others to see it and also chime in with some other thoughts. So, here's what I've learned by being a member:

1) Take an inexpensive plastic over-the-door shoe hanger to put toiletries in since there isn't much room in the bathroom;

2) Take a bungee cord for the balcony in case it's one of those doors that swing shut automatically. That way if you want to leave the door open you can;

3) Be considerate of non-smokers even if you're outside in the smoking area. Yes, I'm a smoker, so some might say I'm the dumbest person alive.

4) Make up your own mind about the food and amenities.

5) Which shore excursions are great in Cozumel and Costa Maya and which are so-so.

6) Arrive earlier than your cruise documents say since they'll most likely allow you to board as early as 11:30 a.m., rather than the 2 p.m. the documents say to arrive. (This one is a BIGGIE to know!)

7) Don't sweat doing the mad rush to the Windjammer when you board.

8) Don't miss "Love and Marriage" and Quest. Some of these activities are not for children. We don't have any, but all our friends have kids so this was a good tip to pass over to them, should they decide to come along with us!

9) Your cruise is what you make of it, so go with the flow.

I would personally like to thank everyone on this Board who has been so helpful and friendly. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the Meet & Mingle on the 9/1 Grandeur out of Baltimore.

For many people, a cruise is the vacation of a lifetime that they've scrimped and saved for many years to be able to go. They're excited and want to know every little detail since they don't know what to expect. This will be my 4th cruise, and I literally feed on everyone else's excitement, and it makes me very happy! If September 1st doesn't roll around soon, both DH and I are going to POP!! Keep the questions and sharing your happiness with everyone!!

Have a GREAT weekend and I'll see you all on the 1st!!

Suze!

Thanks for your input ! I picked up something from you on the shoe hanger thing, I will have to look for that .

We are going on FOS 9/10 and I can hardly stand the waiting. We have only been on a smaller boat, so this is going to be something !

Thanks,

Sue

Here's what i've learned.

- bring a power strip with you , it comes in handy

- pre tip your stateroom attendant , he will go above and beyond

- get to the pier early , don't pay attention to the 2:00 board time

- you can bring wine on board just place it in your luggage

- how to get a seat at the captains table

You'll have a great time on the Grandeur! We took that cruise last July (first one for us).

What I learned:

Once you cruise, you're addicted - that was right on! I started researching our next cruise as soon as I got home.

Night light came in handy in the interior stateroom.

If your hair is over an inch long, bring your own hair blower - very happy I did that!

And, so many other things. I can't wait to try Quest. They didn't have it on the Grandeur out of Baltimore cruise (I don't think), but hopefully it will be offered on the Empress... our next cruise.

I agree with all the above tips. I didn't see the "get a life" thread, but I can make an intelligent guess about what was said, and the tone.

Another tip about these boards: take into consideration what time of day the posts are made. I have a personal theory that a lot of the trouble starts in the evening when folks are imbibing....;)

I agree with the newbies and people that want as much information as they can get. I, too, still do this anytime I cruise somewhere new, or I haven't been there for a while.

I'm always happy to help, and I also truly appreciate the help I receive on these boards.

I cant speak for RCCL but on NCl they xray all bags and set aside those with bottles of wine/liquor--Those have to be picked up in a special area

and unless you can talk your way out of it it will stay in a secure area until after the cruise--

Somehow on my last rccl cruise , 4 yrs ago, i remember bringing liquor on board with no problem

1: Wear jeans whenever you want, even to the captains dinner.

2: Make sure to hold pool chairs for your family members. Even though they might not come to the pool.

3: Let you children roam the ship (they will be just fine)

4: Children under 13 can go to portifinos.

5: Smoking is NOT frowned upon.

6: Bring an Iron.

Okay now that we know where I am going with this, anybody care to join in with some?? ;) :D

1. If it wasn't for CC I would not have made the good decisions about what to do (or not do) in each port.

2. Relief Band for sea sickness

3. Def get to pier earlier than they tell you

4. Duct tape (finally actually used it for this cruise, our 4th, although I obediently brought it for all others :))

5. Pre-tip and yes, you can get more than just one appetizer, one main course etc in the dining hall.

6. Your cruise is only as good as your attitude. Relax and enjoy.

1: Wear jeans whenever you want, even to the captains dinner.

2: Make sure to hold pool chairs for your family members. Even though they might not come to the pool.

3: Let you children roam the ship (they will be just fine)

4: Children under 13 can go to portifinos.

5: Smoking is NOT frowned upon.

6: Bring an Iron.

Okay now that we know where I am going with this, anybody care to join in with some?? ;) :D

Nah....I can do this on all the OTHER threads!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

1. I am not alone in my cruising addiction

2. You can meet some really nice folks before you.

3. My (over)packing obsession is not unique-some have tried unsuccessfully to reform me-I am still working on it

4. The best shore excursions and one day all inclusives with input from folks who did it and were not trying to sell it

5. A like-minded community is a source of encouragement and inspiration to propel you to new heights of whatever it is you are trying to do

I am very thankful for this site...it really helped us with our cruise last summer and it's certainly helped with the one we're boarding on Friday. Yes!!!!

Anyway, one of the more recent things we learned (that I'm interested to try), is to use those little magnetic shower-clip-thinkies to prevent the shower curtain in the staterooms from being so "friendly." ;)

At embarkation-tell them you are going to pay for adult tips but will handle kids tipping yourself(I have three and it would cost me mega bucks-$210)

Then...give your cabin steward a big tip (maybe $50) the first day and another big tip at the end..still cheaper than prepaying for kids and cabin steward is happy (a reservationist on Carnival told to do this-she said they cannot MAKE you tip, even though it says required)

At embarkation-tell them you are going to pay for adult tips but will handle kids tipping yourself(I have three and it would cost me mega bucks-$210)

Then...give your cabin steward a big tip (maybe $50) the first day and another big tip at the end..still cheaper than prepaying for kids and cabin steward is happy (a reservationist on Carnival told to do this-she said they cannot MAKE you tip, even though it says required)

Have to disagree with you on this. Your kids are taking the space of someone who would be tipping according to guidelines and stewards, waiters, etc. depend very heavily on their tips. You are in effect stiffing them.

Have to disagree with you on this. Your kids are taking the space of someone who would be tipping according to guidelines and stewards, waiters, etc. depend very heavily on their tips. You are in effect stiffing them.

I thought the same thing, too, truffles2. I am not, not, NOT trying to start an argument here. It just doesn't make sense to me unless the staff is doing less work, to tip less. The cabin steward, especially, is doing the same work: toilets, sheets, towels, cabin pick-up, etc.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I learned to research the threads on CC and book my own excursions. However, the most helpful tip that I got from here was to make a notebook for my trip - this has really helped me get organized and remains as a souvenier of each trip. I take a 3 ring binder and put in all of my cruise info. Anything I see on CC that I want to keep is printed up and put in the binder. There is a tab for each port and they are in the order they'll be used. I also take a pocket folder that closes on top and put it in there, this will hold tickets, passports, etc. I have everything I need for the cruise in this notebook and it stays with me at all times in my carryon luggage.

Oh Ihall, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a "book". I have printed out a document for each port we are cruising into.

On that document, there are places listed that we would like to see (with addresses and phone numbers), things that we would like to purchase, etc. In each plastic envelope I also have all the coupons printed out that we MIGHT need. If I use all the free drink coupons I have, we will be passed out in some bar and miss the ship :eek: .

I have a huge pencil case in the front with all our Funship dollars, passports, excursion confirmations and other IDs.

My fiancee makes fun everytime I haul it out (which is almost daily) but when the time comes I am sure we will appreciate all the research we did in advance.

Happy Cruising to all....

We are on the Triumph October 28th

Sugar67,

No, I think there are a lot of us with books. I am usually the planner for the family. I have even gone as far as laminating information so the group can choose together and write on the documents, but not destroy for future use (this was for Disney years ago). I now live near Disney and I tell you there are a lot of people out there that walk around those parks all day with books and notes on them.

I have a folder/binder with information I have collected and print outs for my upcoming cruise. I use highlighters and mark as I find more information. My family relies on my notes and research as we go along. Definitly a planning family, as my sister and mother do the same thing! :D

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When you are new and haven't a clue:confused:, you can find out a lot about what to wear, bring and so on.

In addition to tips about the ports you visit, you meet nice people here.

You can share transfers to and from the ship.

If you sign up for Roll Call, you are invited to a Meet and Mingle Party, and they have some nice prizes.:D Plus you meet more people on your ship.

You can plan group outings when you are in new surroundings, for example taking a train for the first time in Europe.

You can learn certain things to avoid and certain things to do (like don't miss the sailing).

You get an idea of which line should fit you best when itineraries are similar.

Archived