birth certificate/maiden name

karen of PA

If you don't have a passport and are using an official birth certificate, do you need to also have a marriage license to prove that your maiden name has been changed from the name on the birth certificate? I didn't even consider this until I read that your documents much match your current name.

karen of pa

My sister who does not have a passport yet has never been asked for a marriage certificate. As long as your photo ID has you birth date and the first and possibly middle name are the same, that seems to be satisfactory. I know others will disagree with me but I haven't found anywhere on the State Department of US customs site that indicates that you must have a copy of the marriage certificate.

In four cruises I've been asked for our marriage certificate once--that was on Carnival. I called Princess customer service since this is our first cruise with them and they said I will need to have a copy of our marriage certificate with me since my BC, passport and DL have different last names. Here on the boards, people say I won't need it. But, I figure better safe than sorry--it's only one piece of paper and if there's even the slimmest chance that I couldn't board without it, it's well worth carrying it with me!

Before I got my passport I just took my birth certificate. I always thought it was strange that they never said a word that my last name was different, but never did anyone question it! I decided that a passport would solve my worrying about it, but if you don't have time to do that, there is no problem with your name not being the same as on the certificate. Time is coming up that you'll have to have the passport though!

I have been on about 15 cruises and have never had anyone ask for my marriage certificate. I just produced my license and birth certificate. However, as of December 31, 2006 everyone will need a passport to leave the U. S.

as of December 31, 2006 everyone will need a passport to leave the U. S.
Close but not quite correct. You'll be allowed to leave the U.S. but you won't be allowed into the U.S. as of 1/1/07 without a passport if you've cruised in the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada.

With these new regulations coming into effect, there will be a huge backlog of applications and it will take weeks, possibly months, to get a passport as people who have traditionally cruised with just a birth certificate suddenly realize that they won't be allowed back into the country. For instance, if you take a holiday cruise and disembark on New Year's Day without a passport, you won't be allowed in. There really should be no excuse if people are upset because this has been known and posted for over a year now and we're still six months from the deadline.

Princess will not even allow you to cruise with them if you do not have a proper passport. I will be doing a Mediterranean cruise in July 06. Princess would not accept my friend's passport because it expires January 07. You will not receive your cruise tickets/document if your passport is not current now, so I assume the policy will flow over to Caribbean/Mexican/ Canadian cruises as of January 1,2007.

Up until 2004, my DW and I traveled with just our birth certificates and Photo ID. We carried a certified copy of our marriage certificate too, but were never asked to produce it until 2004. After that we decided to apply passports.

Its good idea to carry a copy of your marriage certificate, and it only takes a trip to the appropriate county records office to get it. Many locations allow you to order it over the internet.

As you have probably seen on most travel sites, as of January 1, they will be only accepting passports.

Archived