Living In Halifax....

• 2 weeks later...

Fred is definately gone . Route 8 does just the waterfront but you can transfer to any other bus withing 90 minutes. Always ask for a transfer when you get on. The Metro transit website has the maps and schedules. I live here and just researched the busses for a large convention on the waterfront next week. I suggested that Fred be removed for the transit website!!

Is Halifax Taxi Tours the only recommended tour group in the area??

Any others? Just want to do all my homework. We are looking to do the Titanic Cemetary and Peggy's Cove. Thanks.

Is Halifax Taxi Tours the only recommended tour group in the area??

Any others? Just want to do all my homework. We are looking to do the Titanic Cemetary and Peggy's Cove. Thanks.

I've seen a good number of recommendations on CC for Your Cab Tours at yourcab.ca. I'm presently working with him on a tour for our trip.

• 3 weeks later...
There is a good chance that the whales will be gone by mid-August, hence the ship not taking a chance on promising whales that might be gone south. Best way to check is to keep in touch with a local just before you depart....they would be able to find out if they are still around.

Harbour Hopper is a bit of fun for kids if they haven't done anything like that. Citadel Hill lets them explore an old fort and they have kid friendly activities..so does Maritime Museum right on the boardwalk which extends from the cruise pavilion and runs the length of the harbour. All walking distance.

Have fun.

molly

There is a cute tug called "Theo Too" that kids will enjoy. It goes out in the harbor for a short cruise. You'll see it, or its Gift Shop where tickets are sold, just a bit passed the tourist office along the boardwalk.

Whats the best way to see both Lunenburg and Peggys Cove?

Post #24 in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1211375&highlight=lunenburg&page=2 has a detailed review of a day trip we made to Peggy's Cove & Lunenburg. It could be adjusted according to your particular needs & time available.

Looking for suggestions for good cheap eats near the Public Gardens.

There are lots of restaurants of all kinds on Spring Garden Road and some of the side streets. For quite cheap you can go to Pete's Frootique on Dresden Row. There is a really good Turkish restaurant on the south side of Spring Garden not too far from the Gardens. There is a McDonald's (I think! I never go there) and a Tim Horton's. My favorite restaurant along there is Il Mercato, but it is not cheap.

There are lots of restaurants of all kinds on Spring Garden Road and some of the side streets. For quite cheap you can go to Pete's Frootique on Dresden Row. There is a really good Turkish restaurant on the south side of Spring Garden not too far from the Gardens. There is a McDonald's (I think! I never go there) and a Tim Horton's. My favorite restaurant along there is Il Mercato, but it is not cheap.

Thanks, Mary Ann! Definitely not going to Mcd's! How's The Fireside Restaurant on Brunswick?

I have not been for a few years and have no problem walking so I might not be totally correct. You will be able to park and walk on gravel and pavement from the parking lodge to a few shops and up to the main shop/restaurant. There is only really one road and I don't recall sidewalks. Peggy's Cove is a very tiny village. If you go to Wikipedia or Google Images you can see lots of photos.

Most people want to walk on the rocks where a cane would be useful. I assume a rollator is a walker with wheels. That would not work on the rocks at all.

I hope someone else can help with your other questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I used yourcab.ca.co three years ago and it was a great excursion. This year 10 of my friends and I are on the Jewel and we have booked with Jonathan Duru again. I'm really looking forward to it. He will adapt your tour to your preferences.

You will get some ideas here:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154976-i327-k3855117-Mahone_bay_Peggy_s_cove-Halifax_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html

There are lots of scenic out of the way places. Here is a map of one area to consider. Unfortunately you cannot go directly to Peggy's Cove from there:

http://*******/qaXHrm

Last week we toured Halifax with Your Cab Tours. There were four of us and we toured with Jonathan's wife Joy, who was filling in for someone who called in with an emergency. She showed us around the City and we had a great time talking with her on the drive to Peggy's Cove.

Peggy's Cove was so beautiful! I took so many pictures with my point and shoot camera and they all look like post cards. We also had fun climbing on all the rocks around the lighthouse, walking around the village and shopping. We stayed here about 1 hour. Then we stopped for lunch at a small restaurant called Shaw's Landing, on the road back to Halifax. We sat outside on the water and had delicious lobster rolls.

Both Jonathan and his wife Joy were wonderful, warm people and I would highly recommend their Company for touing in the area.

• 3 months later...

It's been awhile since I was here. I was surprised to see my thread still going strong! Its really nice to see people stepping up and helping first time and returning cruisers find they're way around our beautiful city and province!

I'll try and check in a little more often, Merry Christmas to all or Happy Holidays which ever you prefer!

Rick1965 still living in Halifax

Archived