Silvermoon vs. Jolly Roger Pirate Cruise?

jhawk25

We will be in Barbados December 7 this year - have read a lot of great things about both of these excursions. It will be myself & my husband (we're 26), my 18-year-old sister & her 19-year-old boyfriend.

1. Does anyone have any opinions on these 2 excursions? I'm sure all of us would like to swim with the turtles & snorkel. I also know that at least 3 of us enjoy rum punch very much. Such a hard choice! Any help would be appreciated!

2. Does anyone know if it is much cheaper to book the Jolly Roger excursion via their web site vs. the Royal Caribbean web site? (it is $59 pp on the RC web site).

Oh, let's see... You say you like rum punch. The Jolly Rodger has all you can drink. So you can drink, throw up and stagger back to the ship to sleep and miss dinner. Sounds like fun.

The Silver Moon is a bit more expensive, quiet, a fun day in the sun snorkeling with the turtles and enjoying the wind and sea. A nice bite to eat and drinks if you want them. But, the atmosphere is not a party ship.

irobro,

Oh, let's see... You say you like rum punch. The Jolly Rodger has all you can drink. So you can drink, throw up and stagger back to the ship to sleep and miss dinner. Sounds like fun.

This was uncalled for. Because someone likes rum punch, you should not insinuate these types of things. I think you owe jhawk an apology.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know the current cost, since the price went up between us booking and us doing this tour. On ours, we were picked up at the pier at 10:30 and got back to the pier about 4pm.

We just booked Silvermoon for Feb/07 - the cost was $100 USD per person. I emailed the address listed on their website, and they got back to me within 24 hours with a reservation form to be filled out. They asked for a $50 USD deposit per person but have not yet applied it to my credit card. From reading other posts it seems they charge your card for the deposit approximately 1 month before your visit. You could confirm this with the tour company, though.

Also, I have heard that the Silvermoon II is less money, but with a few more people onboard.

Snorkel_Girl

They asked for a $50 USD deposit per person but have not yet applied it to my credit card. From reading other posts it seems they charge your card for the deposit approximately 1 month before your visit. You could confirm this with the tour company, though.

Also, I have heard that the Silvermoon II is less money, but with a few more people onboard.

Snorkel_Girl

Mine was on the statement right after I booked and that was months ago.....we'll be in in Barbados in December.

We were on the Silvermoon (I) in April and it was a great day. Having taken similar cat/snorkeling trips on other islands, I think it was a bit pricey but the crew/food/scenery were excellent. However, the three stops for snorkeling were OK but not terrific. Especially the turtle stop. There were three other HUGE cats there at the same time, the turtles (about a half dozen here and there) were surrounded by hundreds of people in the water as the crew members from the cats fed the turtles. A really unnatural and frankly kind of sad experience. I wonder if those turtles could even survive on their own anymore after getting used to their daitly handouts? But I'm guessing I'm in the minority on this, most people seemed to love it. Overall we would recommend the Silvermoon (and re: rum drinks. Don't worry, there are all you could want - really good too!)

Gene

Does anyone know how the snorkeling is on the Jolly Roger excursion? It says on their site that you can snorkel, but is it just a few fish or is there a lot to see where they take you? We wanted the party atmosphere, but we also wanted to see something worth while.

We did the Jolly Roger Pirate ship excursion in December 2000; it was a blast. We had a really good time. Unfortunately, we were unable to snorkel on our excursion (I can't recall the reason) so if you have your heart set on it, maybe the other choice would be better. But if you want to drink rum, swim, swing off the rope swing, walk the plank and dance, then the Jolly Roger is a great excursion.

Just BE CAREFUL when you are getting off the ship at the end if there are waves. One woman on our trip broke her ankle (really badly) as we were getting off and actually had to stay behind in Barbados. I felt just awful for her.

Archived