Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

Carolyn,

Thank you for your postings.

Alas, I drink neither alcohol nor coffee, but both Vines and the International Cafe sound like nice places to hang out and the food sounds great too. Would there be a problem partaking of these two venues without imbibing of their beverages? Is the sushi in the International Cafe gratis?

Thanks again.

Hi Kathy,

Yes, I decided to be daring and come. We were on the Caribbean Princess twice and I never actually became ill but felt semi "off balance" at times. Definitely not something that would keep me from cruising. However, the ship left from florida and not new york. I had heard the waters going down from ny were rougher. I usually use the patch, but think I will try bonine this time as so many people on here say it does the trick. If the Crown is anything like the Caribbean Princess, I am sure you will love it. Personally, I enjoyed the level of luxury on our first cruise on the Grand Princess. It seemed to me that since the merger of Princess with P & O (Carnival operators) the level of luxury was lower. BUT, it still is a wonderful cruiseline.

My husband and I are traveling alone this time so looking forward to meeting new people. We moved to an aft cabin on the Caribe deck that became available. I love the larger balconies on that deck, but the others are very nice also. Nothing nicer that having my morning coffee delivered to my door (room service is free!) and sipping coffee on the balcony! That is my idea of a vacation!

Will look for you on the roll call:)

Hi LDTC,

My husband and I will be on the Crown Princess 8/16 (can't wait!). You mentioned that you usually use the patch, which I have been thinking about getting, as bonine makes me kind of woozy. Does the patch make you feel tired, or have any other side effects? This will be our second cruise - our first was about three years ago on Celebrity's Century, which was absolutely fabulous, but one night we had rough seas, and I felt quite ill. I decided then that I wanted to try the patch, but I'd really like to know what others think of it. My thought was that if I have the patch, I don't have to worry about seasickness at all, but with a pill, I'd be taking it after I'm already feeling queasy, and it would be great not to have that awful feeling at all. Any input you (or anyone else) could give me would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

What about Trader Joes? They sell wine and they’re big enough to be open on Sundays…. .

Carolyn

Supermarkets and grocery stores are not permitted to sell wines/liquors according to NYS/NYC law. I just might head out to a Trader Joe's in New Jersey (where wine IS sold!) to give their stuff a try...

Today’s the first day I got a look at the boutiques and please, I hope I don’t offend anyone, but s-n-o-r-e. The liquor’s definitely more expensive than in San Juan (even more than Grand Turk which wasn’t the best place to deal), the merchandise is uninspired. How many Swarovski crystal pieces do people really buy? I think they’re lovely don’t get me wrong. But what do they have to do with our cruise?

I have a shopping list. I want to buy the specially, extremely thirsty towels they use in the Sanctuary (different from the normal ones). I want to buy the furniture in the Sanctuary (it would look lovely on our deck). I love the eucalyptus shampoo and lotion; I’d buy that in a heart-beat. Adore the bed’s duvet and linen (not to mention the pillow itself).

Alas, none of this stuff is for sale. My husband’s relieved (less wear and tear on the Amex), I’m disappointed.

I have always wondered why cruise lines don’t sell to their greatest strength: the stuff we use and enjoy on our trip, when taken home, only serves to refresh the memories!

There were a couple of interesting items, I’ll admit; there was a model of the ship ($275) in the jewelry shop; that could be a nice Christmas gift. And there was, as well, a nautical map detailing the specific journey of our voyage. It was being offered at the art auction. I have to think that it is a much more crystallizing memory than a Peter Max.

Does anyone agree? Disagree? What would you want to buy?

Carolyn

You are so right. The shops on all of the ships we have been on (HAL,RCL,CCL must all be run by the same co. The "T"shirts+ tote bags with Insert Name of Ship are usually tacky. Cosmetics are always the same- If I see that Lancome Traveler Kit ( which Air France was selling on the JFK-CDG run in 1997!)one more time I will scream. And let us not forget the $10.00 genuine copy Pashmina sale & the yard of gold -which is actually plated metal.Please entice us with the quality goods. I have yet to even want to buy anything in the shops.

Carole

Beadcruiser,

Come join the 8/16 roll call!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=260854

45 days & a wake up! :p

Hi thepinkpanther,

I hate to sound too dopey, but I'm new to this and I don't know what to do when I go the the link you supplied for the 8/16 roll call - do I just click "Post Reply" at the top of the page? Help?! Thanks!

Hi thepinkpanther,

I hate to sound too dopey, but I'm new to this and I don't know what to do when I go the the link you supplied for the 8/16 roll call - do I just click "Post Reply" at the top of the page? Help?! Thanks!

you DO NOT sound Dopey, or like any other of the dwarves!! :p

Go to the thread, click on Post Reply and type away!! You'll be making friends on your ship right and left and be so glad you did!

Everyone is new at some point and no one should ever feel bad for that. If I could waive a wand and change one thing about the boards it would be people who feel bad for typing a question and start out with, "I know this is a dumb question, but..." Even if a question is oft repeated there is always someone who is seeing it for the very first time and gleans good information from it.

Stepping off my soapbox now, you just have a fantabulous cruise.

you DO NOT sound Dopey, or like any other of the dwarves!! :p

Go to the thread, click on Post Reply and type away!! You'll be making friends on your ship right and left and be so glad you did!

Everyone is new at some point and no one should ever feel bad for that. If I could waive a wand and change one thing about the boards it would be people who feel bad for typing a question and start out with, "I know this is a dumb question, but..." Even if a question is oft repeated there is always someone who is seeing it for the very first time and gleans good information from it.

Stepping off my soapbox now, you just have a fantabulous cruise.

Thanks for the help and the encouragement - you have a wonderful cruise too!

Carolyn,

Wondering where you ate for breakfast? And, how was that?

I believe you mentioned that you didn't like eating at buffets, but did you get a chance ask other passengers what they think of the Horizon Court? Café Caribe?

Did you try Afternoon Tea? 24-hour Internet Café?

For a memorable dining experience on the Crown, can you please give us a rating on each dining rooms. Giving each restaurant a chance.

Thank you for giving us scrupulous details on your dining experience. Yummm....

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

Carolyn- Thank you so very much for your reviews and answers to questions. Some of our roll call members are reporting back to our thread. You answered most of our Q's- here are a few more:

1. Does the Crown offer afternoon tea in the Dining Room, as on other Princess ships? If so, only on sea days or on Port days? What Time? (trying not to conflict with our CC "get togather" - I'm the organizer. I noticed you mentioned the Int'l Cafe has afternoon tea and wondered if it's moved there.

2. What is the charge for use of the thermal suite (for the day or entire cruise)? I loved it on the CB and want to use it on the Crown.

3. How do you make reservations for the Sanctuary- at the spa? How far in advance- a day or two or that day?

4. Back to food - Would you please post either the dining room menus OR give us a list of the theme nights, so we can get an idea of which nights to book Crown Steakhouse as soon as we board? Thanks.

5. Any feedback from fellow pax on the "quality" of the Brooklyn Balcony Nosh"? DH and DS want it, but we're from NY and I want to make sure they won't be disappointed. It's only on embarcation day. Do you know the hours (is it in the patter)?

6. Would it be possible for you to upload the Patters or a link to them so we can get an idea of activities? (This is for my planning of our CC meetings).

7. I did not see mention of the CD- James Lay. He was on our CB sailing last April. Low key- however he personally conducted the ballroom dancing lessons -his parents were prof dancers. We did the swing dancing and it was a hoot. Any comments on entertainment not already mentioned?

Thanks for everything- will pass along to our roll call-8/25/06.

Carolyn-

Since you asked for feedback and gave us a wealth of info here goes:

I agree- would love to buy the plush towels, and I didn't even see them yet. Also love the bath products.

We're kind of sock of the generic stuff sold in the ship's shops, be it RCCL or Princess (Carnival Corp) ships.

We sailed on the Serenade inaugural, and I bought a women's style tee-shirt, which I'm wearning right now and a large coffee mug. Did the Crown have inaugural stuff? We also bought one of thos ceramic replicas of the Serenade for about $20-$25- good memento.

Would prefer better quality or unique items for sale on the ship.

Guess we can spend our $ on the Sanctuary and food upcharges.

Carolyn, Enjoy your hubby's b-day and your day "off" from posting. We really appeciate all the great information you have provided.

We've been on only one Princess cruise and had a mini suite. We are sailing the Crown in November and have a suite, A752 booked. You mentioned you were hoping to look at some of the suites on disembarkation day. Would be very much interested in what you can tell us about the suites. Any and all information on what we can expect would be appreciated. Pictures would probably send me over the edge..... :)

TIA,

Cathy

...bonine makes me kind of woozy. Does the patch make you feel tired, or have any other side effects? My thought was that if I have the patch, I don't have to worry about seasickness at all, but with a pill, I'd be taking it after I'm already feeling queasy, and it would be great not to have that awful feeling at all. Any input you (or anyone else) could give me would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

If bonine makes you woozy, the patch is going to be a bigger problem as it is much stronger medicine. Personally, I use Bonine. Like the patch, Bonine is intended to be used the entire cruise, not just when there is a problem. I start taking it the night before the cruise and continue to take it until the night after I am home. I take it late in the evening - usually before I go to bed. I wouldn't know if it makes me woozy or tired because I'm asleep when it first kicks in. :p It last 24 hours and I've never noticed any size effects from it. Thankfully, I've never gotten sea sick and we've hit some rough waters. :eek: Good luck with your decision.

Carolyn, I like the rest of your avid readers have enjoyed your e-mails. My plans are a little different from the rest of your readers in some respects. I have only been on two cruises, one HAL one RCCL, but will be on the Coral in October doing the Canal. The reason I am so intrigued by your postings is because I will be on the Emerald on 23 April cruising the Greek Isles. Since the ships will be the same, the information that you have shared, will help me tremendously. I would like you to do the inaugural of the Emerald (as you'd mentioned) then let us all know if there are any differences. The only problem with that idea is that I will be doing the opposite leg (Venice to Rome) and may not have time to read your words and get to Venice on time. Again, thank you so much!!!

Carolyn,

I will be booking on the Crown Princess in April, 2007....First time on the Princess line. My choice is a oceanveiw room but there are very few of these...The one's that have NO obstuction is even less than that. I decided to book on the Lido deck up above where the captains area in the front of the boat but was told there is a partial obstruction for those 4 rooms.......Did you happen to notice what the partial obstuction might be. They were unaware.

Thank You so much!!!!!

Carolyn,

I will be booking on the Crown Princess in April, 2007....First time on the Princess line. My choice is a oceanveiw room but there are very few of these...The one's that have NO obstuction is even less than that. I decided to book on the Lido deck up above where the captains area in the front of the boat but was told there is a partial obstruction for those 4 rooms.......Did you happen to notice what the partial obstuction might be. They were unaware.

Thank You so much!!!!!

Check out the this photo of where the window of those cabins looks out to. This is the reason why they are listed as obstructed. I think. :rolleyes:

There is thread a little further down the list on the Lido deck cabin.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...26399388mThQfC

I use the Patch and I have had no side effects. I usually get bad motion sickness and have had no problems since using it. My girlfriend gets dry mouth and a little dizzy when she gets home and takes it off. I have had none of those problems.

We always use the patch as well and have never had a problem..just make sure to wash the area good first so it sticks well and wash your hands right after handling before touching anything. It is really nice to not have to remember to take a pill..you only have to remember to change it to the other ear after 3 days.

Loved your blog and it was very helpful. We are going in March 2007 and have never been on a cruise. We are pretty excited and are hoping this was the best one to chose as our "first." How are the bathrooms in the minisuite and the closets? Any helpful hints for a first timer as to what to pack and not pack? We will be going on the Southern Caribbean route

Thanks for any input

Hi LDTC,

My husband and I will be on the Crown Princess 8/16 (can't wait!). You mentioned that you usually use the patch, which I have been thinking about getting, as bonine makes me kind of woozy. Does the patch make you feel tired, or have any other side effects? This will be our second cruise - our first was about three years ago on Celebrity's Century, which was absolutely fabulous, but one night we had rough seas, and I felt quite ill. I decided then that I wanted to try the patch, but I'd really like to know what others think of it. My thought was that if I have the patch, I don't have to worry about seasickness at all, but with a pill, I'd be taking it after I'm already feeling queasy, and it would be great not to have that awful feeling at all. Any input you (or anyone else) could give me would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Hi, I am wondering about the side effects of the patch itself. I have used it on the last three cruises. I NEVER got sick. About the third day, however, I start to feel somewhat woozy and off-balance, not enough to make me stop doing anything major. I am not sure if it is just the cruise or the side effects of the patch. I am considering taking the Bonine this time instead (will bring patches with me just in case) as so many people say it works well. I also took some advice of ppl on here and bought a bottle of ginger caps. If I did feel a tad "off" gingerale always helped. Everyone says you shouldn't feel anything on these mega ships. I must admit on my first cruise, on the RC Explorer, I was walking around holding onto the walls until a doctor at my table gave me a patch. It also matter where on the ship I was, for some reason the lower decks where I could feel the movement more were more unsettling to me. Last summer, on way to Bermuda on a Celebrity ship (Zenith) (which was a horrible ship, btw) we hit the tail end of the hurricane in a very forward cabin. I could here the ocean hit the front/side of the ship all night and we had trouble walking straight in the cabin. However, with the patch on, I NEVER became ill.

Hope that helps! Have a wonderful cruise, we will be passing you as we disembark on the 16th.

Sari

Carolyn,

Its been interesting to see how changes evolve during the first cruise, thanks for the details.

Can you tell me if the Lotus pool is still open to all adults or is it just for the use of those lucky few who get into and pay the cover charge for the Sanctuary??

Mike

...and I'm thinking about the lucky folks who are embarking today;) --- but it is good to be home....

I'm going to tackle a couple of questions then go take a much-needed nap (fabulous cruise-ending night in Sabatini's, then Adagio, then Skywalkers, and, well, I am not as young -- you know where I'm going with this).

Anyway, the Sanctuary fee stayed put throughout the cruise and on our last two days you couldn't even get in, it was so popular, if you didn't go early. I was told that they feel like the shakeout on Sanctuary will another voyage -- and then there will be a clear idea of what needs to be done. I must admit I am surprised people paid the fee, but pay it they did.

So my prediction that it would likely be reduced (based on the fact that the Sanctuary was completely empty on the first sea day) might be wrong, LOL.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Its been interesting to see how changes evolve during the first cruise, thanks for the details.

Can you tell me if the Lotus pool is still open to all adults or is it just for the use of those lucky few who get into and pay the cover charge for the Sanctuary??

Mike

Archived