Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

Thanks, Colo Cruiser, for reminding me. Yes, the Lotus pool is free to all. It's usually a really serene place -- but yesterday got a bit rambunctious. But we swam at about 5:30 p.m., when folks were either packing or getting ready for dinner. Alas, the pool by then had ring-around-the-collar, I guess from passengers' sun tan oil? it was gross....

Carolyn

Oh my, that's nasty!

Carolyn, again i'd like to say thank you for your daily reports from the Crown. Everyone of us appreciated reading what you had to say. Happy 4th of July to you!

Karen

Baltimore

Alas, the pool by then had ring-around-the-collar, I guess from passengers' sun tan oil? it was gross....Carolyn

The Good:

1. Embarkation - arrived at the pier at 12:30 was in my room by 1:00

2, Disembarking - Aqua 2 tags - walked off the ship 9:30, found luggage with no problem, went through customs/immigration and was in the car by 9:50

3. The bands, especially Epithany and Elua but only when they are allowed to make their own muscial selections.

4. Comedians, Piazza Performers.

5. Sabatini's

6. Room Stewards and wait staff in Michelangelo's

7. Excursion Staff

8. Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda - take the bus $8 roundtrip

9. Trunk Bay Snorkeling in St. John

10. Margaritaville in Grand Turk - poolside

11. The Best - Beautiful Ship and all rooms/suites clean

The Bad:

1. James Lay CD is boring and non-imaginative

2. Princess dictates musical choices - bands play Yellowbird, Margaritaville and Bob Marley 4-5 times a day.

3. Crown Grill - save your money for Sabatini's

4. Horizon Court breakfast - hot food is never hot.

5. DaVinci wait staff are slow and unattentive

6. Wine - elimination of wine steward in the dining room and mark-ups of 200% to 500%.

7. Limited number of specialty drinks and most are poorly made.

8. Paying $15 for the Sanctuary

9. Production Shows -especially Motor City are High School quality

10. $25 for 5x7 photo

11. The worst - immigration in San Juan 2-3 hours.

Hit or Miss:

1. The food in the Dining Rooms.

2. Cruise Staff - pool side activities

Hi, Sandytoes, yeah I ate just about everywhere. I know I made a comment about how I'm not a real buffet person but it's part of my job to try as much as possible so I always do...LOL.

Okay, to get to your questions. Breakfast. I did room service a couple of times, always prompt and efficient and delicious. Continental only. I went to the Horizon Court today -- I couldn't find Cheerios (someone asked about that) but it was the last day and a bit of a mob scene). I thought the food there this morning was the worst on the cruise. My absolute favorite place was the International Cafe -- the pastries were magnificent. I also had a lovely, peaceful breakfast in one of the dining rooms (think it was Michelangelo).

For lunch, yesterday went to the dining room, lovely experience and the food was excellent (chicken liver mousse, short ribs and mashed potatoes). You can always get burgers. There are plenty of vegetarian options, too. Funny, I sat next to these two, incredibly elegant Indian (as in India not native American) women, beautifully dressed, thin...and they were nibbling on starters and I'm thinking -- betcha that's all they have, LOL, then the next thing I know they had three or four courses at a time in front of them...and they chowed down with gusto. One of them said "we just want to try new things!". Absolutely....

In all cases I had no service issues in the main dining rooms, very pleased with the various experiences.

One day for lunch I did Cafe Caribe and it was delightful. There was an Asian theme, so they had potstickers and fried rice and sweet 'n sour pork and sushi (it's better in Vines but then again you're paying extra).

Had a couple of International Cafe/Vines lunches -- brought over a quiche or some marinated shrimp or chicken salad to eat with sushi and a glass of wine. One note: As delicious and light as the lunch fare is in the Cafe, it never varies in terms of selections, throughout the week. I got tired of the same thing after awhile (though the quiche was always a different flavor).

No food service in the Internet cafe. I never made it to tea but it is served in one of the dining rooms (plus you can get tea in the IC -- International Cafe).

I'll rate the restaurants (and offer more detail) in my ship review, yes, we still do those here at Cruise Critic, LOL.

Hope that helps get you started, though.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Wondering where you ate for breakfast? And, how was that?

I believe you mentioned that you didn't like eating at buffets, but did you get a chance ask other passengers what they think of the Horizon Court? Café Caribe?

Did you try Afternoon Tea? 24-hour Internet Café?

For a memorable dining experience on the Crown, can you please give us a rating on each dining rooms. Giving each restaurant a chance.

Thank you for giving us scrupulous details on your dining experience. Yummm....

~ ~ Chris ~ ~

I agree with a lot of 'em and have to admit I wasn't aware that Princess dictated music choices. Interesting (and weird).

Disembarking wasn't bad -- but did you have a problem getting your car (I guess if you drove, I mean)? It was a mess when we left, you had to wait in line for 40 minutes to pay your parking bill ($164), then the credit card machine didn't work, then the gates didn't work. People were getting pretty hot under the collar....

Carolyn

The Good:

1. Embarkation - arrived at the pier at 12:30 was in my room by 1:00

2, Disembarking - Aqua 2 tags - walked off the ship 9:30, found luggage with no problem, went through customs/immigration and was in the car by 9:50

3. The bands, especially Epithany and Elua but only when they are allowed to make their own muscial selections.

4. Comedians, Piazza Performers.

5. Sabatini's

6. Room Stewards and wait staff in Michelangelo's

7. Excursion Staff

8. Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda - take the bus $8 roundtrip

9. Trunk Bay Snorkeling in St. John

10. Margaritaville in Grand Turk - poolside

11. The Best - Beautiful Ship and all rooms/suites clean

The Bad:

1. James Lay CD is boring and non-imaginative

2. Princess dictates musical choices - bands play Yellowbird, Margaritaville and Bob Marley 4-5 times a day.

3. Crown Grill - save your money for Sabatini's

4. Horizon Court breakfast - hot food is never hot.

5. DaVinci wait staff are slow and unattentive

6. Wine - elimination of wine steward in the dining room and mark-ups of 200% to 500%.

7. Limited number of specialty drinks and most are poorly made.

8. Paying $15 for the Sanctuary

9. Production Shows -especially Motor City are High School quality

10. $25 for 5x7 photo

11. The worst - immigration in San Juan 2-3 hours.

Hit or Miss:

1. The food in the Dining Rooms.

2. Cruise Staff - pool side activities

Hi, Love Boat Dream. I never heard of the Savvy Traveler but will admit I didn't go to any of the port shopping lectures. I've seen enough of them to last me a lifetime, alas, and if weren't just about the shops that paid for the recommendations I would even reconsider.

But let's see if someone onboard this week can answer this for us....

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

The Savvy Traveler is a different book. We got the Passport to Value in our cabin. The Savvy Traveler is a book that the shopping lecturer was selling. It is similar to the Entertainment Book we buy it home. It had discounts to merchants in the different ports. It cost $20. A lot of it were not "real" discounts. But, there were enough freebies to make the book worth at least the $20. Especially since I was able to use it for a spa discount too.

If you haven't heard of it, then maybe they aren't selling it on the Crown

thanks!

Susan

Carolyn -

Early in your blog you mentioned that the Crown would likely receive a 5 star review. What sets it apart from other Princess ships? And what sets it apart from large ships that have been very well received by other travel professionals, such as Celebrity's Millenium class?

That's fantastic, Chris -- I was actually afraid to wear white because of the white background. Next time I'll try the bathrobe, LOL.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

my hubby and i did the casual photos when on Vision of the Seas in February. We wore our White terry bathrobes for the photos and it was a scream. The photos are in our bedroom and came out great- We actually had a gathering of people watching and for the rest of the cruise people recognized us. Nice memento of our cruise.

Chris

I didn't have my car. I previously arranged for my car service company to pick me up at 10:00. At 9:45 as we walked away from immigration and towards the exit, I called the company. The driver who was waiting outside in the car service/limo waiting area pulled right into the pier and picked us up of the left side underneath the white awning. We pulled right out of the facility and were on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway within minutes.

Thanks, Colo Cruiser, for reminding me. Yes, the Lotus pool is free to all. It's usually a really serene place -- but yesterday got a bit rambunctious. But we swam at about 5:30 p.m., when folks were either packing or getting ready for dinner. Alas, the pool by then had ring-around-the-collar, I guess from passengers' sun tan oil? it was gross....

Carolyn

YYYYYUUUUUKKKKK!!!!! :eek:

Hi, I am wondering about the side effects of the patch itself. I have used it on the last three cruises. I NEVER got sick. About the third day, however, I start to feel somewhat woozy and off-balance, not enough to make me stop doing anything major. I am not sure if it is just the cruise or the side effects of the patch. I am considering taking the Bonine this time instead (will bring patches with me just in case) as so many people say it works well. I also took some advice of ppl on here and bought a bottle of ginger caps. If I did feel a tad "off" gingerale always helped. Everyone says you shouldn't feel anything on these mega ships. I must admit on my first cruise, on the RC Explorer, I was walking around holding onto the walls until a doctor at my table gave me a patch. It also matter where on the ship I was, for some reason the lower decks where I could feel the movement more were more unsettling to me. Last summer, on way to Bermuda on a Celebrity ship (Zenith) (which was a horrible ship, btw) we hit the tail end of the hurricane in a very forward cabin. I could here the ocean hit the front/side of the ship all night and we had trouble walking straight in the cabin. However, with the patch on, I NEVER became ill.

Hope that helps! Have a wonderful cruise, we will be passing you as we disembark on the 16th.

Sari

Hi -

Thanks LDTC for the info on your experience with the patch, and thanks to everyone else who supplied info as well. One of you said that you take the bonine before boarding and then take it every day - I have never tried that, but sounds like the best way to take it. I'm still not quite decided which way to go yet (though I think I'm leaning toward the bonine since someone said the patch is a stronger medication), but all the input has been helpful.

LDTC, thanks again, and I hope you have a great cruise too!

Hi, Love Boat Dream. I never heard of the Savvy Traveler but will admit I didn't go to any of the port shopping lectures. I've seen enough of them to last me a lifetime, alas, and if weren't just about the shops that paid for the recommendations I would even reconsider.

But let's see if someone onboard this week can answer this for us....

Carolyn

I have received the Passport book in my cabin the last 3 cruises I have been on this year and I feel it was worthless.

And I keep hearing how bad James Lay is. He was on a Grand cruise with us when he was just an assistant CD a few years ago and he was very low key then. I can imagine now. That is too bad to put such a lame act on the new Crown. :eek:

Carolyn,

Thank you soooooooooo much for all the trouble you took to get us informed about your cruise and the ship. Seems like some kinks have to be worked out (that was expected in a new ship) but that the Crown is probably going to be Princess's best ship. I really enjoyed readin your experience.

I may have forgotten to mention that it did ultimately work at the Lotus Pool...it's hard, you have to turn a blue knob then push a silver button. But it's fun to play with!

Carolyn

Definitely controlled by the passengers. There is a button at the far end of the pool. If someone wants to swim against the current, they just turn it on. Most folks don't last long swimming against it, I can tell you that. :)

Thanks TinaLee -- I'm glad to know that. I certainly don't want to be having to exercise on my VACATION! :D

Before I forget -- thanks for this great reminder, which I dug out of page 11! -- we do post driving directions to Red Hook in our Red Hook/NY port profile area. Of course I forgot to print them out so my husband and I were forced to wing it!

Two things to know. One is that the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (which you take to the port) has no signage about the cruise terminal -- frankly the folks at the terminal sure did have enough time to handle this little task, bad!. We got off (just guessed and I don't think we could the ship from there...) at Hamilton Avenue and then there were signs.

Getting home was worse. There are no signs to BQE west (there were signs for east), there was lots of roadwork and so detours, and signage was ridiculous if existant. We ended up lost, then going east, then turning around and going west. No big deal but irritating.

Parking is easy enough. You drive into the terminal area (there's a nice drop-off place for luggage so do that before you park). You pay after the cruise...there's a machine (two of 'em) and they take credit cards. I wrote earlier today that it was $164 -- about $18 a day? It's pretty expensive....

Carolyn

We are driving to the Terminal from central New Jersey. Any hints are parking (I noticed it is $20/day!), access etc.? How much time to leave before boarding? Lines?

Well, 2happytravelers, I got a little bit excited, LOL, when I read your post cause I love pub fare. And, at the same time I'm on this trip we're also featuring a blog from contributor Fran Golden who's on Queen Mary 2 -- and she's raving about the food at the Golden Lion pub.

Alas. No pub fare in the Wheelhouse. It doesn't open at lunchtime (or at least not that I noticed...I do have a bunch of Patters to go through).

Carolyn

PS On which ships does Princess offer this and what is featured? Is there a charge?

Hi Carolyn- Thanks for all the great info! Did you have a chance to eat any of the "pub fare" at the wheelhouse bar?

Thank you so much, (belatedly) Cindra, for the update.... I walked around today after we got home -- and you can't even tell there's been a flood (except for on certain streets, where homes have "evacuated" red stickers). But it's definitely not as busy here in Lambertville/New Hope as you'd think for a holiday weekend.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I drove over the Scutters Falls Bridge(I-95) last night and today at around noon. The water was very high. I looked beyond the river banks and the water continues to flood at least 100 or so feet beyond. Main Street in New Hope is flooded, although they are trying to pump it to clear out the water for the holiday weekend. The water was right up to the bottom of both the New Hope and Washington's Crossing Bridges. Trenton is flooded...the island as well. From the local news helicopters, you can see the water extends beyond the first row of houses across from the river and into the next two blocks inward, at least. Route 29 on the Jersey side is closed to traffic. Route 31 was open to cars from I-95, but I don't know how far you can travel. The river was supposed to crest tonight, but we just got another passing thunder storm, so that may add to it. Parts of Yardley are under water as well. The main roads are being used instead of the back roads because many are flooded now....Princeton area included, near the canal.

I'll keep you posted as I hear more.

Cindra

Jstazy and all who were so thoughtful! Much appreciated.

Carolyn

Im in Bordentown and as far as I can tell anyone who got flooded last time in Trenton and Yardly are getting it again....no reports of new people being flooded at this point...Keep in mind that we have not crested here yet....not until 2am. We just came back from taking a look at the Delaware. There were HUGE trees and a LOT of debris. Katmandoo and Route 29 are flooded and the Trenton Makes Bridge was closed earlier but I hear its back open as of now.

If I hear anything new I will be sure to post it or email you directly.

Hi, KidJedi, I'm finally getting caught up. I totally agree with your pluses and minuses (though a lot of ships have been showing Titanic since the get-go...odd as it seems).

I keep forgetting to mention the ice cream issue. There's a charge, about $2 (you buy it next to the pizza counter and, get this: it's not even Haagen Dazs anymore. That's disgraceful. If you want to give me a premium option along with a standard one than at least I can choose. In this case? No choice.

Makes me hungry though for a Ben and Jerry's ice cream sandwich. And it's free! So to speak. In my freezer, LOL.

Carolyn

Hi everyone, first time poster. My wife are less than one week removed from the maiden voyage, and we loved this boat so much we going back! This time it will be the 9/30 Eastern Caribbean, to complement the Western. For future Crown passengers, here is some of our feedback:

Pluses

1) MUTS...the stars, the popcorn, the blankets...definitely worth checking out more than once. Although we were scratching our heads as to why they chose to show Titanic one night...not on a cruise ship!

2) Skywalkers, coolest nightclub we've seen in a long time!

3) Grand Turk...we loved it. We got off, talked up a few cabbies and grabed a ride to Pillory Beach, where we spent the day at a small dive resort and got some snorkeling in. The manager, Kelly was a great host!

4) The staff...not much to say except they were awesome.

Minuses

1) I hate paying for ice cream, should be a crime.

2) Elevators...yep, you will wait forever. Better to climb and work off the buffet food!

Can't wait to go back, only 90+ days!

I envy you, your 90 day return!

Did want to say that people either loved Grand Turk or hated it. I was on the positive side. But it's quiet...be prepared, bring a book, find a great waterfront spot and eat some conch (loved the Water's Edge). Take a shore excursion though....

Carolyn

Hi, KidJedi, I'm finally getting caught up. I totally agree with your pluses and minuses (though a lot of ships have been showing Titanic since the get-go...odd as it seems).

I keep forgetting to mention the ice cream issue. There's a charge, about $2 (you buy it next to the pizza counter and, get this: it's not even Haagen Dazs anymore. That's disgraceful. If you want to give me a premium option along with a standard one than at least I can choose. In this case? No choice.

Makes me hungry though for a Ben and Jerry's ice cream sandwich. And it's free! So to speak. In my freezer, LOL.

Carolyn

Hi, Jules. I checked. No disembarkation tours are offered, sorry.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Could you please comment on whether tours are offered on disembarkation day - we have a late flight out and are wondering if Princess is offering some sort of NYC tour and then an airport drop off. We're thinking this may be an option considering the disembarkation problems with the maiden cruise. Thanks!

Yes, we just walked up (no reservations) and yes, the same cover charge applies. Hope that helps!

Carolyn

The only crimp in the so-called ointment is that when we arrived at the restaurant it was fully-booked and the hostess didn’t know anything about the bar seating (it’s apparently such a new concept the staffers don’t know about it!). This has happened a few times on this trip – the pillow menu comes easily to mind, as does the outdoor dining at Sabatini’s – where stuff isn’t yet in place that’s been promoted beforehand. It’s part of the shake-down and understandable on a new ship but can also be disappointing if you’re anticipating it.

Carolyn

Carolyn - thanks for the post - I am just a little confused - did you just walk up to the Crown Grill or did you have reservations? I assume you just walked up and got open seats at the bar - also, I assume you paid the same cover charge as everyone else - (I think it is $25 pp if my memory serves)

Thank you!

We have been home now a few hours and already miss the Gorgeous Crown. She is truly spectacular. Hope all of you sailing in the future will be as happy and well treated as we. Generoso, the Maitre D'Hotel truly lives up to his name. Try the stuffed olives in Adagio, and if you like show tunes and fun cabaret banter, visit it later for Sammy the Piano Man. All around, the best cruise we have ever had!

Archived