Balcony door...open or closed?

OuiOnboard

The water you find on the balcony and balcony door in the morning likely is caused by cleaning of decks or windows. I have been "nailed" a few times on my balcony.

That's what I figured especially when I looked up and saw the device that they hose off the outside of the ship with was close to our room. I doubt it would be sea spray since we were mid-ship, Deck 9 and the seas were calm. Also, no rain and it was too much water for it to be condensation. Next cruise we will just open it a little bit so we can listen to the sea.

Vawoods ..... Not to get off the subject but I want to commend you for stating what has been on my mind for a long time relative to those over on the HAL boards. They can be brutal if you don't follow the norm or even think about thinking outside of the box.

We sailed on HAL last October and were booked to sail again this November. However, after posting my discontent with HAL's handling of an incident I was banished from that Board and I am now looking forward to sailing on the Star Princess instead.

For the record I would prefer to keep the balcony door open but that will never happen because I am told that it will and does interfer with the AC.

Dewee

Check to see if your balcony has a sprinkler. I hear they are installing them in response to the Star fire. After looking at those photos, I think I'd be afraid to fall asleep with my balcony door open.

Regal Princess has hinged balcony doors, not sliders, and she hasn't left the fleet yet.

And for you historians and/or doubters, two prior announcements re her transfer were rescinded, so perhaps there is still hope she may remain.

Druke - unfortunately, I think her time is up this time - she's already being advertised by P&O Australia - at least they look like they're going to keep her much as she is.

http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/introducing_pacific_dawn.cfm

Never on Princess, but on Celebrity Millenium in Mediterranean last Sept., we had to open the balcony door for about an hour one night when our room was overcome with a very intense sewer gas odour. IT WAS BAAAADD!!!!The interesting thing was that the odour was being pumped into the room through the ventilation system as if the intake was attached to the black water processing system. SO BAD THAT BREATHING WAS VERY,VERY DIFFICULT!! Thought it would pass quickly...tried to tough it out, but had to open the balcony door....and I was about to capitulate to DW's demands that we evacuate the room to our balcony when it began to clear...none too soon. Otherwise we have kept the door closed unless we are cruising in temperate climes.

As a young feller, my Dad would scold us about holding doors open in winter "to heat the outdoors!" It is logical to this non-engineering-attuned mind that opening the door could interfere with the efficiency of the ventilation system. I have never heard anything official from the powers on board any ship, thus the question.

We keep ours closed due to the humidity issues... and the deck washers... and then there was that time that our next-door neighbors left THEIRS open and went to bed... and we happened out on our deck to hear them in their cabin "enjoying their time without the children!" Couldn't look the woman in the eye for the rest of the cruise! :)

TinaLee - too too funny!!!

Nothing like sleeping to the sound of the waves. Bit scary to think what might happen if there was a fire on the balconies though!!!

Two of our friends lost their possessions in the Star fire - since then we sleep with a flashlight beside our beds. At least you can then see to find your things and leave!!!

I don't think the cruise lines mind so much about the doors being open at night, otherwise they would do something about it!! However, the stewards are really irritated when you open the cabin door having forgotten to close the balcony one!!!

Check to see if your balcony has a sprinkler. I hear they are installing them in response to the Star fire. After looking at those photos, I think I'd be afraid to fall asleep with my balcony door open.

Just returned from our cruise on the Grand last week. They are in the procees of fitting the balconies with sprinklers. One day when we were in port they were working on installing a sprinkler on our balcony. But it was still unfinished by end of cruise.

Left the balcony door open every night. No problem with AC. Every morning balcony was dry. Did not have a problem with door sliding shut.

Did not notice the humidity. (and being from the dry climate of Colorado we noticed the humidity in all the ports.)

I believe somye lines (RCCL- Mariner) actually have the AC unit set so it does not come on when Balcony is open. It was designed for those heat intensive tropical trips ... so might be appropriate as I agree the humidity can be a lot on some cruises ...

I'm guessing it all depends on location ... St Thomas and Alaska will have totally different effects. Try it for an hour before dinner ... if it doesn't work .. your room has a chance to "catchup" before bedtime

However ,.,, a nice romantic glass of wine before bed ... or dinner on the balcony (my favorite - even if you don't pay for the Ultimate dinner) will add to you enjoyment of the cruise:D

Good point about the towel at the bottom of the whistling door.

On our last trip to Hawaii, we had a whistling cabin door (with the balcony door opened or closed..didn't matter). We put up with it for 2 days before our tablemates clued us in on that little secret about just putting a towel down...duh!!! :)

Archived