Balcony door...open or closed?

OuiOnboard

I have been told by other pax that propping the balcony door open for extended periods can reduce the effectiveness of the AC in neighbouring staterooms by upsetting the air flow/pressure balance within the cooling system. Operating from a position of ignorance in these engineering related matters, we keep the door closed despite missing out on the wonderfully soothing ocean sounds when sleeping. Does anyone know/ been told such with regard to Princess ships?

They request that you not keep the door open while the A/C is on but if it's cool enough for you to enjoy the door open, it shouldn't affect the A/C too much.

As an FYI... Princess balcony doors are sliding doors. No need to "prop" open. :)

Regal Princess has hinged balcony doors, not sliders, and she hasn't left the fleet yet.

And for you historians and/or doubters, two prior announcements re her transfer were rescinded, so perhaps there is still hope she may remain.

...As an FYI... Princess balcony doors are sliding doors. No need to "prop" open. :)

Never say never!! Most times those doors have enough friction that they hold their position even when not fully opened. The very well lubricated door on our Golden MSuite last summer was indeed, "a slider"...so much so that ,after opening, a "prop" was needed to keep the door from doing "the electric slide" totally unpredictably...once when a plate of food occupied my hands. No harm...no foul up..but surely got my attention.

I found it much too uncomfortable (humid and muggy) to leave our door open to the balcony on the CB. But if you feel that you would like to do that, why overwork the air conditioner to begin with? Turn it off, and open your door.

I have to agree - it's way too humid. I'm also thinking that there might be a fire issue with leaving the door open.

If it is a cool evening (outside the tropics), then by opening the balcony door you will be helping the a/c system work less.

On my next trip to Hawaii, there should be plenty of those cool nights and we will be sung to sleep by the sound of the bow wake.

The last time we tried leaving the balcony door open, we were visited by a small bird and had a devil of a time getting it back outside. Since then my wife has been adamant about keeping the door closed at night. When we have opened it in the evening in the Caribbean, we, very often, did find it too humid for real comfort.

ON some cruises the AC is shut off at night in all the cabins. On the Diamond I woke up to cool the room off and found that the AC control was not lit and nothing happened when I tried to lower the temp. I noticed that every night from about mid-night to 5AM or so was the same thing; AC control is disabled. So it doesn't matter if the door is open or not.

Again, I marvel at you people. Ask this question on the HAL board and you will come back missing not only your fingers for even asking if this ok, but also they will patrol your hall at night to listen to see if you have your balcony open and boy, will you be in trouble. LOLOL

You people are the greatest. I'm so glad I decided to try Princess. I know, just from reading everyone's posts that I will enjoy my cruise because the people on this line are so polite, not at all rude.

Thank you!

Well, cruiserjanet, I almost hate to ask, but... do you have any idea about why it was wet? Let's hope it was some form of H2O!

We're off to Alaska in 32 days and have a caribe balcony. I plan to LIVE there, and, since it's partially covered, even a little rain won't stop us from keeping that door open!

Don't know exactly where to locate the link, and the search function on this site has never worked for me, but...

I seem to recall that Princess would begin discouraging balcony doors being left open at night following the fire on the Star.

I'm guessing that this comment and/or link was on one of several threads that evolved following the unfortunate incident.

TIA to anyone who can find the thread/link.

Chris

ON some cruises the AC is shut off at night in all the cabins. On the Diamond I woke up to cool the room off and found that the AC control was not lit and nothing happened when I tried to lower the temp. I noticed that every night from about mid-night to 5AM or so was the same thing; AC control is disabled. So it doesn't matter if the door is open or not.

Not true, if you press the thermostat the lighted buttons will come back on. The system is on 24/7. :)

Regal Princess has hinged balcony doors, not sliders, and she hasn't left the fleet yet.

And for you historians and/or doubters, two prior announcements re her transfer were rescinded, so perhaps there is still hope she may remain.

Michael... I stand corrected.

Well, cruiserjanet, I almost hate to ask, but... do you have any idea about why it was wet? Let's hope it was some form of H2O!

We're off to Alaska in 32 days and have a caribe balcony. I plan to LIVE there, and, since it's partially covered, even a little rain won't stop us from keeping that door open!

Dew? Sea spray?

We have a balcony on the Sea Princess on our upcoming cruise in July. I know it's gonna be very hot in the Med but I'm also hoping to be able to use it as much as possible.

The water you find on the balcony and balcony door in the morning likely is caused by cleaning of decks or windows. I have been "nailed" a few times on my balcony.

Same here. We used to leave the door fully opened but now just open it a few inches to still hear the ship's waves off the bow and sides. If a early morning cleaning unit comes by we're ok...:cool:

Archived