Panama Canal-balcony or not?

lynnck7

We always thought we'd get a balcony when we do a full-transit of the canal, but we're wondering now if it would be worth the extra money (considering that we don't necessarily care if we have a balcony for the portion of the cruise that is not in the canal--that's fodder for other discussion, I know). We were told by some that all you see from some balconies during the transit is the wall. Others have said that observation from a deck or a forward lounge is far better, but that you have to get there early to get a good seat. I don't know if I'd want to camp out there the whole time to keep my seat. If you do think a balcony is the way to go, what about location? (I guess one thing that would determine the best location is whether the cruise is west-to-east or east-to-west?) Thanks for any advice.

I'll throw my 2cents in on this one. We did not have a balcony when we did our full transit a couple of years ago and IMHO would not get a balcony just for the transit. You will get much better pictures from a wider variety of angles by getting up early and finding a place on one of the top decks near the front of the ship. Then when you are exiting the last locks head for the rear of the ship and get pictures from there.

Have a great next cruise.

If you will be sailing on a Holland America ship, there is no better spot for viewing the transit of the Canal than the Crow's Nest Lounge. You will see what is happening ahead of the ship as well as on both sides. Open decks are also not too far away from the lounge if you wish to go out and take pictures or see more of the action close up.

Archived