Lighthouse,totem & eagle excursion

msweeble1

Can anyone tell me some information on this tour? Do you get of the boat to see the totems or do you view them in passing?

Is this trip worth the time. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Debbie

We did this excursion on our cruise and since the weather was quite "nasty" at the time, it was very rough and windy. No, you do not get out of the boat. I did a little "write-up" on this excursion in my very lengthly review:

We had decided on “Lighthouse, Eagles & Totems” since it had been recommended to us last year by the family in the cabin next to us. It was “okay” but I wouldn’t do it again. Maybe if the weather had been a little better, we would have a better opinion of it. We did see lots of eagles, eagle’s nests and slowly went by Totem Bight State Park, then out to Guard Island to see the lighthouse. But it was so windy and the water so rough that the boat was rocking severely for most of the trip. We thought it was going to tip over! Some people actually slid right off their seats and a couple were on the verge of seasickness. The boat was bouncing so much, it was almost impossible to take pictures.

I am sorry brunolvr had such a rough trip! Yikes. My family has been on this excursion twice and enjoyed it. Of course we had smooth seas and excellent weather both times :) If you go to the website it gives you a description of the tour and a picture of the boat. It was not real small, maybe twenty of us on the boat very uncrowded. It is a slow leisurely tour, you see some totems from the water. Lots of Eagles and nests. Very friendly college age staff pass out snacks and binoculars and help you get a good look at the eagles nests. http://lighthouseexcursion.com/

My husband and I took this tour 2 years ago. It was not unpleasant, but it seemed we did not get very close to the Totem Poles or eagles nests. We did get some shots of the lighthouse which was the main reason we did the tour. We did see a whale spouting off in the distance, but never could get within picture distance. I guess it depends on what you want from an excursion.

We came back last week and also did this tour. I was disappointed as there was only one lighthouse and my husband loves lighthouses. We had beautiful weather, seas were calm, but we didn't get very close to the totem pole park to see them without using binnoculars. We did see lots of eagles from far away and some seals sun bathing on logs, but all in all I would not do it again.

The people on the boat were very nice and served a nice snack and were very helpful to point out the eagles, but I just don't feel it was worth the money. We did it as a ship excursion so it cost more than doing it yourself.

Joyce

I did this tour 3 years ago or so. I also was disappointed with the tour. I would not recommend it. My past posts about this excursion have also shown my disappointment with the tour.

We had good weather so that was not a factor. It just seemed boring to me. We didn't get very close to the Totem Poles, there was only one light house, yes - there were tons of eagles but there are tons of them in Ketchikan anyway. I thought the tour was pretty pricey for what you saw on the tour. The last 3 pictures in this album are from the tour:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/PhotoAlbum19.html

I only took 3 pictures because there really wasn't much to see - at least you can see the boat that was used. The tour was called "Guard Lighthouse Tour" back then but was renamed the following year and is the same tour.

I have been told that the cruise ship sails by this area coming into Ketchikan. Unfortunately - we usually come in at 5 am and I am not awake so I can not verify this.

Archived