Cameras in religious buildings/galleries?

Cameras are not allowed in the Sistine Chapel as they want you to buy the souvenir postcards. You can however use them in most other religious places such as St. Peters. I saw lots of people taking pictures next to David.

Some will, some won't. Those that did require the flash be turned off on your camera so you might want to learn how to do that before going (if you don't already know how). I had to assist a number of people who couldn't figure out how to turn the flash off. Some were trying to cover it up with their fingers/hand, which doesn't work. The flash apparently destorys the pigments in the paint. In St. Peters there aren't any actual paintings. They are all granit tile mosaics (sp?). The actual paintings are stored somewhere else. The flash of the camera doesn't hurt the small granit tiles used to recreate the paintings.

I suspect that the no photo's allowed is a reflection of the fact there is ALWAYS someone who either doesn't know how to turn the flash off or just isn't paying attention. It happens to a lot of people. We were on a tour with one lady who had followed the rules everywhere about not taking pictures. However, there was one building in which she did not hear the tour guide (he was very difficult to hear and didn't have the little radio/headset setup) and she just didn't see the no photo's signs. When I pointed it out to her, she was somewhat embaressed about it. I felt bad because I had seen her on tours before and I knew it was just an honest mistake.

Some places will also charge a fee to use a camera. There may be a seperate cost at the ticket booth or if entrance is free, usually someone will approach you demanding a fee and giving you a coupon to take pictures. You have to decide if it is worth the 2-5euros or what ever they charge for the photos.

If you have already taken your pictures when approached, it is your decision whether to buy the coupon or not. If not, be prepared for a possible argument, although I have never seen any picutres confiscated, etc.

Taking pictures of David was a no no. And there were a lot of people there to enforce it. St. Peters was fine, Pantheon was fine, as mentioned the Sistine Chapel, Accademia are off limits. Don't know about the Uffizi, but these precious pieces of art should be protected from flashes so I would think it's also off limits.

Archived