Newbies.. Empress of the Seas 8/5/06 first family vacation.

Hi everyone!! :)

We are new to the boards. This is going to be our first cruise for our family. Our daughter just graduated High School and this is our present to her. She is off to college in September.

We are not well off financialy, so if we ask some basic questions it is just so that we can get the most our of our trip.

With that said, we still want to do as much as our budget will allow us. With the kids growing up it just might be the last family vacation we get to go on. So we want to do it right.

Are we excited?? absolutely !! Are we nervous that we might miss out on things?? Yes... So I hope these board will be helpful.

So if you have any suggestion about the Empress of the Seas, Bermuda or just travel tips, let us know. We plan on checking the boards daily. Thanks so much!!

Welcome! My advice would be to either borrow or buy books and videos regarding your ports of call in addition to reading the boards. That's just me though. I love all the information I can get. And don't forget your bug spray!

Our first sailing was on the Empress just before she went to dry dock to be redone. We just couldn't get over the size of ship - and this is one of RCCL smallest! Just make sure you read your Compass that you will get every evening for ideas to do the next day. That's how we always plan our at sea days - from seeing what's available from the Compass.

For us, because we love soda, we always buy the soda pass - which allows unlimited soda while onboard. If not, soda can get expensive when bought individually. When you buy the pass they give you an insulated container - which we always leave in the room - and they put a sitcker on your seapass card which you show the staff when you order a soda.

It can get expensive on the ship - with the photos that are always being taken we were so excited (this being our first cruise) and bought just about every one of them - and the ice cream and pastries in the shops. We thought everything you ate was covered except for the "fancy" restaurants, but that's not always the case....and milkshakes can add up over 7 days of hot climate!

We have never to been to any of the ports you are visiting so I can't help there.

I know you will have a blast! We are taking our son next July 2007 on the Freedom to celebrate his 18th birthday - this will be his first cruise.

If money is an issue I suggest that you pick up a travel guide for Bermuda as soon as possible. As a rule, Bermuda is very expensive. Restaurants are expensive as are taxis to get around the island. A popular way to get around Bermuda is by bus as there is an organized bus system. You can buy a multiday buss pass to cut down on the cost. These are the types of things that you need to know in advance so you can plan your days before you actually get to Bermuda. A good guide book will give you a lot of helpful hints and will probably save you a lot of money. If this is your first cruise try not to overpack. Figure out what you need and then leave most of it home as you won't wear it anyway. If you don't have fancy clothes for formal nights on board ship don't waste money buying new outfits. Just skip eating in the dining room those nights and go to the buffet dinner in the Windjammer. As a matter of fact, many people go to the dining room on formal night in not so formal attire and they don't get turned away at the door. As I said, if you plan out ahead of time what you want to do you should be able to avoid any expensive suprises when you go ashore.

My first cruise was in 1982 on our Honeymoon and my wife had been in the travel business for some time and had cruised before. It was a blur for me. I did not have the benefit of this site and others to help get my bearings. We have gone on 16 cruises since and love it. Cruise Critic people are among the best at helping get needed info so don't be bashful. Good luck and have a great trip.

You picked a great ship for your first cruise. We've been on her 4 times and will leave this Saturday for a fifth. You've already gotten some good advice here. I highly recommend getting the bus/ferry passes. This system is very easy to use. If you love the beach, then plan to take Bus #7 to Horseshoe Bay. I hope to be lounging there next week with a good book and my collapsable cooler! Have a great trip!

Our first sailing was on the Empress just before she went to dry dock to be redone. We just couldn't get over the size of ship - and this is one of RCCL smallest! Just make sure you read your Compass that you will get every evening for ideas to do the next day. That's how we always plan our at sea days - from seeing what's available from the Compass.

For us, because we love soda, we always buy the soda pass - which allows unlimited soda while onboard. If not, soda can get expensive when bought individually. quote]

Thank you so much for the post!! :)

I'm not sure what the 'compass' is but it sounds like a onboard newsletter. If it is I will read it and try to plan our days.

Two of us are soda drinkers, and the other two are mostly water drinkers. I think we will get two soda cards and bring a case of water with us and keep it in the fridge. This will cut down on some of the expences.

Are you planing any excersions? If so are you booking them online?? I'm trying to figure out if booking a glass bottom boat ride, swimming with the dolphins or a helmut diving adventure would be a good idea before we board or just going to the places while we are their , so if it is poor weather we could just not go.

Welcome! My advice would be to either borrow or buy books and videos regarding your ports of call in addition to reading the boards. That's just me though. I love all the information I can get. And don't forget your bug spray!

I just bought a Fodors book on bermuda yesterday and I think it will be very helpful, in addition to these boards. And thanks to you, BUG SPRAY is now on my list!!

If money is an issue I suggest that you pick up a travel guide for Bermuda as soon as possible. A popular way to get around Bermuda is by bus as there is an organized bus system. You can buy a multiday buss pass to cut down on the cost. A good guide book will give you a lot of helpful hints and will probably save you a lot of money. If this is your first cruise try not to overpack. Figure out what you need and then leave most of it home as you won't wear it anyway. If you don't have fancy clothes for formal nights on board ship don't waste money buying new outfits. quote]

I just got a Fodor's book yesterday. It is filled with helpful hints and tips!! I have one suit and a one sports jacket and a variety of dockers and dress type pants so I think I will be able to do formal dining.

We want to use the buses for most of our trips. When and where do you get the bus passes?? Should I get two zone or three zone passes?? Are the passed good any where on the island, or only in certain 'zones' ??

Thank you so much for the post!! :)

I'm not sure what the 'compass' is but it sounds like a onboard newsletter. If it is I will read it and try to plan our days.

Two of us are soda drinkers, and the other two are mostly water drinkers. I think we will get two soda cards and bring a case of water with us and keep it in the fridge. This will cut down on some of the expences.

Yes - the compass is the newsletter. Make sure you bring a highlighter! I don't know what kind of cabin you are in and what rooms do have them but we are booked in an inside and there is no fridge.

If money is an issue I suggest that you pick up a travel guide for Bermuda as soon as possible. A popular way to get around Bermuda is by bus as there is an organized bus system. You can buy a multiday buss pass to cut down on the cost. A good guide book will give you a lot of helpful hints and will probably save you a lot of money. If this is your first cruise try not to overpack. Figure out what you need and then leave most of it home as you won't wear it anyway. If you don't have fancy clothes for formal nights on board ship don't waste money buying new outfits. quote]

I just got a Fodor's book yesterday. It is filled with helpful hints and tips!! I have one suit and a one sports jacket and a variety of dockers and dress type pants so I think I will be able to do formal dining.

We want to use the buses for most of our trips. When and where do you get the bus passes?? Should I get two zone or three zone passes?? Are the passed good any where on the island, or only in certain 'zones' ??

If you do a google search on Bermuda - you should find some good and helpful sites. I had them saved here on my computer at work in my faves file but was while I was on vacation last week - someone messed with it and they are gone now!

Don't even spend $$ on bringing water! The water on the ship is delicious and probably purer than the bottled water. You will have ice brought to your room twice a day, so plop some in a glass, run the tap, and drink away!

To save more $$, bring your own camera and don't buy all the pictures they take on the ship--it can get VERY expensive!

Like another poster suggested, read up on your port, and don't pay for "excursions". If you know what you want to do, you can most likely do it cheaper on your own.

Always eat on the ship instead of going to restaurants at the port. You've already paid for the ship's food! Why pay twice!?

As far as "formal night"--Hubby doesn't need a tux--a suit will do just fine. But, don't miss dinner in the dining room in favor of the Windjammer. There's just NO comparison! It really makes the whole cruise "experience"!!!! Have fun!

My husband doesn't own a tux but he has a dark suit that he brings with 2 different ties for the 2 formal nights. I have to say, he looks just as good in his suit as the others do in their tuxes!

I agree w/ the water...I wouldn't bring it along. The water on the ship was always great - and there was always plenty of ice to keep it cool!

And yes, the Compass is the onboard newsletter. It is left on your pillow during dinner - along with a towel animal and chocolates! (They even taught a class on towel animal making - which was free!)

Excursions do get costly and my husband has never been impressed with the amount of time you actually get to spend at the place you selected. So much of it is travel time - which is good to see the port but we would rather spend all our time at the beach or snorkeling.

I know you will all have a wonderful time! Do you have a balcony cabin or inside?

What a wonderful gift for your daughter! It will be unforgettable for all of you. I sailed to Bermuda on the Empress just before she was "redone," and it was a lovely ship even then. My sister and I, both widows, usually travel together and we were/are in the same boat (pardon the pun) financially, so I can relate to your question.

First of all, we spent little if anything extra on the ship, other than tips for the staff. We used the tap water, which as a previous poster has stated, is delicious (you could bring a water bottle from home). We didn't buy any of the photos on the ship, but you might be considering a family photo because of your daughter's graduation. We took a bus from Hamilton to St. George's and returned by ferry (both included in the price, which was nominal).

You really don't need many clothes for wearing around the ship. Most people hang around in their bathing suit cover-up. And as for formal night, just a nice dress or pants outfit will do fine.

We did take an excursion through the ship called "Swim and Snorkel," which I wasn't too keen about doing, but I was SO glad I did! A pink catamaran takes you out to a beautiful spot where the water is Paradise, and they provide you with snorkeling equipment if you want it. They bake brownies on the way over and then have a party on the way back (the catamaran is run by Captain Kirk and his wife -- no kidding). No alcohol is served on the way out to snorkel/swim, but there's free punch and beer (for $$) on the way back. I don't recall that this was an expensive outing, but it surely one I'd recommend heartily!

Lastly, I'd HIGHLY recommend the website www.portreviews.com, as good as any guidebook! They have a cruise chatline also, and your questions will be fully and immediately answered.

Have a happy, lovely family time in Bermuda!!! ML :D

John: You said you were on a budget so a big savings will be NO soda cards. You do not get cans anyways. You only get the drinks from the bars. This is the cheapest soda possible. You will not be on the ship enough to take advantage of it. There is lemonade, iced tea, water, punch, coffee for free. Save your money. Also, here is a quick tip for photos. Take a picture of all the photos using your camera when they post your photos... Buy the cooler on wheels and use it for the beaches to put your own water or soda cans that you bring on board. Make sure you try to eat on the ship instead of the restaurants in Bermuda. Bring packaged snacks with you to take to the beach to tide you over. Try arranging for tour excursions on your own, not through the ship. Just make sure of the times when you are going to be cruising so you do not miss the ship. While drinking the drinks of the day on the ship, get the drinks from the regular glasses not the ones they bring around. Those are plastic glasses for you to take home, thus they charge you more for them...and no one wants to bring them home!

And have a wonderful time. BTW: Once you start cruising you will be hooked. Try booking your next one while on board to get the $100 savings even if you do not know which ship...pick a far out date and if that does not work, you can change it as long as you keep the same reservation number. And then you will love sailing without your daughter!

John: You said you were on a budget so a big savings will be NO soda cards. You do not get cans anyways. You only get the drinks from the bars. This is the cheapest soda possible. You will not be on the ship enough to take advantage of it. There is lemonade, iced tea, water, punch, coffee for free. Save your money. Also, here is a quick tip for photos. Take a picture of all the photos using your camera when they post your photos... Buy the cooler on wheels and use it for the beaches to put your own water or soda cans that you bring on board. Make sure you try to eat on the ship instead of the restaurants in Bermuda. Bring packaged snacks with you to take to the beach to tide you over. Try arranging for tour excursions on your own, not through the ship. Just make sure of the times when you are going to be cruising so you do not miss the ship. While drinking the drinks of the day on the ship, get the drinks from the regular glasses not the ones they bring around. Those are plastic glasses for you to take home, thus they charge you more for them...and no one wants to bring them home!

WOW. Your tips are fantastic! I think I will just bring a few water bottles and fill them up as needed. Most people that have posted have said the water is delicious. TYVM

Could you tell me more about what the 'cooler on wheels' is?? We own a cooler on wheels and do you think it would be a good idea to fill it with ice and water/soda and wheel it onto the ship?

I think most people are also posting that we should make our excersions on our own. I'm just not sure how that is done. Do we just go to the place that we want to see and sign up and pay their?

And I can't believe they charge for plastic cups and drinks in real glasses are free! And your photo tip is amazing!! I'm going to do that.

Thanks so much.

What a wonderful gift for your daughter! It will be unforgettable for all of you. I sailed to Bermuda on the Empress just before she was "redone," and it was a lovely ship even then. My sister and I, both widows, usually travel together and we were/are in the same boat (pardon the pun) financially, so I can relate to your question.

First of all, we spent little if anything extra on the ship, other than tips for the staff. We used the tap water, which as a previous poster has stated, is delicious (you could bring a water bottle from home). We didn't buy any of the photos on the ship, but you might be considering a family photo because of your daughter's graduation. We took a bus from Hamilton to St. George's and returned by ferry (both included in the price, which was nominal).

You really don't need many clothes for wearing around the ship. Most people hang around in their bathing suit cover-up. And as for formal night, just a nice dress or pants outfit will do fine.

We did take an excursion through the ship called "Swim and Snorkel," which I wasn't too keen about doing, but I was SO glad I did! A pink catamaran takes you out to a beautiful spot where the water is Paradise, and they provide you with snorkeling equipment if you want it. They bake brownies on the way over and then have a party on the way back (the catamaran is run by Captain Kirk and his wife -- no kidding). No alcohol is served on the way out to snorkel/swim, but there's free punch and beer (for $$) on the way back. I don't recall that this was an expensive outing, but it surely one I'd recommend heartily!

Lastly, I'd HIGHLY recommend the website www.portreviews.com, as good as any guidebook! They have a cruise chatline also, and your questions will be fully and immediately answered.

Have a happy, lovely family time in Bermuda!!! ML :D

Great tips. Tell me more about the 'swim and snorkel'. We were thinking about buying our own snorkel equipment and going 'freelance' snorkeling. But going on a catamaran to go snorkeling sounds like fun.

And yes we are going to do a family photo!!

As I recall, the pink catamaran was "parked" directly across from the ship in Hamilton -- you can't miss it! We learned about this excursion through the daily bulletin that arrived at our door each morning, which contained a list of possible excursions. It was my sister who expressed interest in this "adventure," and I consented only to please her (as she had done for me on other occasions). It was absolute fun from the moment we stepped aboard! Mrs. Kirk went out front with those who planned to scuba/snorkel, giving them an enjoyable and helpful talk (complete with large pictures) about the particular fish they might encounter. The rest of us stayed inside and sociaized -- I believe there were soft drinks available.

Everyone on this catamaran raved about the experience -- it was a highlight of my trip, and to think I wasn't at all enthused about going! I'm wondering if you could find out more by looking into the ship's excursion offerings, as they were the ones through whom we booked this (we didn't do it in advance of the trip).

I look forward to hearing your Travel Tales!

ML:D

JohnT: I checked the RCCL site for excursions, and I believe that Nativeway is the one we took. This is the info:

The fun begins the moment you step aboard this comfortable and spacious fifty-foot, pink sailing catamaran. Voted one of Bermudas Top Tours, this family run trip is one you wont want to miss. You can sunbathe in spacious hammocks or relax in the cozy comfort of the interior salon. As you sail through scenic harbors, your knowledgeable and friendly crew will entertain you with stories about Bermudas history, culture and geology, revealing some amazing secrets of the underwater world. You'll swim and snorkel with quality gear in a picturesque and secluded shallow water cove. This trip is perfect for anyone who likes having fun. The trip includes complimentary fruit punch, tasty rum swizzles and lots of delicious, hot home baked cookies! There is an interesting gift shop on board with lots of one-of-a-kind items. It’s the perfect Bermuda day! The onboard activities are at the guest’s discretion. Please note that guests must be able to walk approximately 100 yards over even surfaces with 2 – 3 steps.

Perhaps you could get in touch with them via a website. I believe the price is $70 adult, $60 children.

ML

The real glass drinks are not free. Sorry if you misunderstood. They are just cheaper than the ones in the plastic glasses. Also, No I would not pack your cooler with ice when you board...no need to. Ask the steward for ice onthe day you go to the beach. Finding excursions on your own is simple. First go to the threads for the port you are going to. Find out what others have written about each and whom they recommend and who they do not. Go onto RCI page and look at what they offer through the ship. Then google that port and put the port name and excursions...you will get info that ways...

Archived